PFF debate on Murray to AZ

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which of the 2 QB's is better right now? Murray

Which of the two has the higher upside? Murray - better passer in college, and way way more mobile

Which QB is more likely to more quickly outgrow the standard "dumb rookie" phase? I have no idea

If we draft Murray, is the projected upgrade in QB play worth more than the addition of a non-QB like Bosa or Q Williams? Yes - Historically if we can get a mid round 1st for Rosen we have a very good chance of still getting a very good player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes they do. They picture an Oklahoma highlight reel play after play and game after game.

Did you see Mayfield last year? Obviously it translates to some degree to the NFL.

As a rookie he is not going to be great his first year, other than Mahomes I can't think of a rookie who ever was - although I guess even he was kind of in his second year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which of the 2 QB's is better right now? Murray

Which of the two has the higher upside? Murray - better passer in college, and way way more mobile

Which QB is more likely to more quickly outgrow the standard "dumb rookie" phase? I have no idea

If we draft Murray, is the projected upgrade in QB play worth more than the addition of a non-QB like Bosa or Q Williams? Yes - Historically if we can get a mid round 1st for Rosen we have a very good chance of still getting a very good player.
Look at the GM who is making the choice.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The main reason to pass on Murray is the fact we have more than a few holes on the team. I feel like the haul we get from trading down would go a long way to filling the cupboard. Let's build a solid team and see what Rosen can do. If he doesn't improve, we can go all in for a guy like Tua next year.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Ok I'm actually going to jump in this argument here I'm No Murray Fan btw but for those of you who are you might look at the actual 3rd leading rusher was for the Cards was Last Year any Guesses that's right the one and only immobile Josh Rosen averaged 6 yard per attempt with a long of 33 yards so put Me Squarely Down As a No in The Murray campaign remember Russell Wilson is the exception not the rule Here Please as was Tarkenton Brees etc in fact I've watched the NFL average size go from the 6 foot quarterback to around the 6'4" average we see now can Rosen Succeed most likely if there is Half way decent Team around him So can This Murray Kid too but scrambling QBs. That last just a few years are very Rare indeed no matter how good or how tall they are or how big

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To not give Rosen a chance behind a "real" offensive coach (and hopefully a better supporting cast all around) just seems ridiculous.

That being said.... I've often wondered why the Cardinals have never sought an athletic QB... With the last several decades failure of building a competent offensive line.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
One last question there gave been exactly 2 quarterbacks under 6 to have won a superbowl can anyone name them and what did they both have in common,

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
One last question there gave been exactly 2 quarterbacks under 6 to have won a superbowl can anyone name them and what did they both have in common,

Russell Wilson for sure.

Drew Brees? Although his official height says 6 feet.

Common - neither drafted in the 1st round?

They both played baseball? Russell Wilson was drafted by MLB.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Russell Wilson for sure.

Russell Wilson for sure.

You got it the bottom line is both of the guys had a damn good team around them good to great running game and great defense football isnt about one guy it's about 22 or 53 so Murray or Rosen Whoever will never be better than any other QB without a Great or good supporting cast

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You got it the bottom line is both of the guys had a damn good team around them good to great running game and great defense football isnt about one guy it's about 22 or 53 so Murray or Rosen Whoever will never be better than any other QB without a Great or good supporting cast

Yes true, but a team will almost never win without a good to great qb. Other than Dilfer and possibly foles, I can't even think of a below average qb that has won a superbowl in the last few decades.

I am not saying Rosen can't be successful, he has a lot of tools. Murray seems to me to have more. QB is by far the best factor in a teams success. PFF said it this way Mahomes was worth 8 wins more than an average qb. Aaron Donald was only worth 2 wins.

I hope the cards don't get a number 1 pick any time soon again, but they need to get the most value they can possibly get out of it now - that means either a trade that gets us multiple picks or drafting Murray.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
One last thing to remember these NFL teams have A very good way of changing and adapting so Murray May be Great Year one and Carted off the field folded up Like a pretzel the second that what the players and coaches actually are paid to do is adapt to every new fad that comes around and for the most part they are very good at it or Gone Extremely Fast

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Yes true, but a team will almost never win without a good to great qb. Other than Dilfer and possibly foles, I can't even think of a below average qb that has won a superbowl in the last few decades.

I am not saying Rosen can't be successful, he has a lot of tools. Murray seems to me to have more. QB is by far the best factor in a teams success. PFF said it this way Mahomes was worth 8 wins more than an average qb. Aaron Donald was only worth 2 wins.

I hope the cards don't get a number 1 pick any time soon again, but they need to get the most value they can possibly get out of it now - that means either a trade that gets us multiple picks or drafting Murray.
Remember too Flacco hasn't exactly set the world in fire nor Jim McMahon from Chicago hell I would lump some legends in there too Staubach, Stabler, Bradshaw early years None were world Beaters when their teams were dominant

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

Hmm let's not forget the World beating Jeff Hostetler of the Giants or Phil Simms either

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Did you see Mayfield last year? Obviously it translates to some degree to the NFL.

As a rookie he is not going to be great his first year, other than Mahomes I can't think of a rookie who ever was - although I guess even he was kind of in his second year.

Marino... and we all know how mobile Dan was, right :)

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
One Final Thought from me as good as Mahomes was and is exactly where was he when the Super Bowl was Being Played is there any better question than that

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Never got the ball in OT. Can't really fault him other than saying it shouldn't have gone to OT.
That is really my point in a way the team lost regardless of who was behind center almost all of the hyperdrive offenses seem to run out of steam somewhere in the playoffs with very few exceptions one being Washington when Theisman and Riggins was there the other was the Greatest Show on Turf with Warner and Company

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
That is really my point in a way the team lost regardless of who was behind center almost all of the hyperdrive offenses seem to run out of steam somewhere in the playoffs with very few exceptions one being Washington when Theisman and Riggins was there the other was the Greatest Show on Turf with Warner and Company
I personally thought the Saints were going to demolish the Rams but that didn't exactly happen either although a referee played a part of that game

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
One Final Thought from me as good as Mahomes was and is exactly where was he when the Super Bowl was Being Played is there any better question than that

As far as your question about where was he? That would be in Atlanta collecting the MVP award.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Do ya happen to think he would have rather been playing this game we call football for that trophy named after Lombardi

Would have been there if Dee Ford wasn't a ******.

In any event, I don't think Cardinal fans have any right to take shots at Mahomes. None of your players have ever won the MVP while on your roster. Your current coaching staff sure as hell is not full of people like Belichick...and Josh Rosen is not Brady.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
So now we actually have decent chance of building that kind of defense that just happens to win championships heck Kc just released Justin Houston today now if ya add players like him and Quite a few others then we may actually just has have a chance at that trophy that is what I'm actually trying to say Kc got beat by the better eam that day just like all of the rest of the hyperdrive offenses usually do Please dont think I'm picking on any particular player it's the teams that have hyperdrive offenses with poor defense I'm talking about heavens one of the Greatest offenses I ever saw was San Diego with Fouts Winslow Jefferson and company and they never made to the big one either

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn