2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Earl Watson said yesterday that he is a typical AAU dad, its just that people pay attention to him for some reason.
Ironic since people are paying attention to Earl Watson saying that people are paying attention to Lavar Ball.

Thanks Obama.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to break it to you but I believe the Tyler Johnson trade is the closest we'll come to trading for a PG this deadline.

I know one of the talking heads said they were surprised this deal took so long to materialize because it had been something that both Miami and Phoenix had worked on since December but I don't know if I buy that. I know Tyler Johnson isn't a big name but it seems like every move the Suns make or don't make now has one "insider" saying they knew about it months ago yet they have zero proof they did. If they were truly an insider of some sort then they would have floated the rumor out there, like other deals get talked about, even if they don't happen.

This was the Suns lone trade. I'm good with it. Maybe the Suns will pick up a point guard off waivers.

The huge thing is the Suns did not give up anything valuable on a gamble such as Fultz or Ball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares what Lavar thinks or calls for? Lonzo does not listen to him. No one else should either.

Lonzo hasn't bothered to contradict any of this. He's also already let his dad deprive him of a multi-million dollar shoe deal and his agent is a handpicked Lavar stooge who only represents the Balls.

I think Lavar's cancerous routine is a serious problem in the Laker organization.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shelvin Mack is being waived by the Hawks. Worth a flyer, in my opinion. Not really NBA starter material, but significantly better than anyone we have at the position.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lonzo hasn't bothered to contradict any of this. He's also already let his dad deprive him of a multi-million dollar shoe deal and his agent is a handpicked Lavar stooge who only represents the Balls.

I think Lavar's cancerous routine is a serious problem in the Laker organization.
The Lakers have bigger problems. Rich Paul, LeBron James, and Magic Johnson.

LaVar is peanuts.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earl Watson said yesterday that he is a typical AAU dad, its just that people pay attention to him for some reason.

I can't decide whether Watson is really this clueless or if he's spinning it due perhaps to the UCLA connection?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The addition of Shelvin Mack last summer was one of those small moves that I thought could have helped the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he got released. Suns could still get him.

I still think Mack could help but the Suns may be content with combo guard Tyler Johnson.

When I first noticed Mack he played for the Jazz. He would be worth the look.

There may be some other point guards waived as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I still think Mack could help but the Suns may be content with combo guard Tyler Johnson.

If that is the case (the Suns being content with Tyler Johnson at the point), this franchise is beyond hope or redemption.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers have bigger problems. Rich Paul, LeBron James, and Magic Johnson.

LaVar is peanuts.

Well, yeah, on the Lakers buffet of issues Lavar is not the entree, but that doesn't mean I want him on our menu trying to make Lonza, himself and his kids a 4 course meal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No. He is doing the smart thing. He is ignoring it. Contradicting his dad just makes more news.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ignoring it is not really the smart thing. there was an article months ago about him needing to stand up to his dad because his silence is wearing thin on his team

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. He is doing the smart thing. He is ignoring it. Contradicting his dad just makes more news.

Ignoring it, IMO, is similar to affirming it. Especially when your finances are so strongly tied to your loud mouth fathers machinations. If he wants suitors to believe that his dad isn't and won't be a problem then he needs to make his dad only his dad... and not his shoe supplier, reality show host and de-facto agent.

I feel bad for Lonzo, he seems like an alright kid, and I'm sure it would be really difficult for him, as a 21 year old guy, to tell Lavar to shut his freaking mouth and be simply a supportive father... but that is what he needs to do, because his dad is a POS that is doing real damage to Lonzo's earnings and career... and Lavar has basically destroyed the potential careers of his youngest 2 kids.

As it stands Lonzo has done almost nothing to differentiate his opinions and his fathers or show that his career is not his father's to command.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no. There goes a good option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shaq Harrison (preseason)
Isaiah Canaan
Jamaal Crawford
DeAnthony Melton
Elie Okobo
Devin Booker
Josh Jackson

and now Tyler Johnson

The eighth starting pg for the Suns this year, I think.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canaan lands with the Timberwolves.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq Harrison (preseason)
Isaiah Canaan
Jamaal Crawford
DeAnthony Melton
Elie Okobo
Devin Booker
Josh Jackson

and now Tyler Johnson

The eighth starting pg for the Suns this year, I think.

Counting preseason? I can understand to a certain extent but since Harrison was cut before the season started I'm not sure that's entirely fair. A lot of teams have players that partake in preseason that don't make the regular season cut, the Suns aren't alone in that regard.

Crawford hasn't started for the Suns.
Canaan, Melton, and Okobo count as starting point guard's, that's fair. Booker has also started at PG for the Suns. Counting Jackson though? He hasn't started without one of the other players mentioned and I don't think anyone would call him a point guard. Tyler Johnson has not started either.

So of your list there are 4 that were actually starting PG's for the Suns. Harrison, Crawford, Jackson, and Johnson don't count for reasons listed. I would imagine Johnson will start for us before the year is over but there are still 3 players listed when they don't need to be. Our PG rotation has been bad, no one denies that, but there is no reason to exaggerate it since virtually everyone here will say it's quite possibly the worst PG in the modern NBA. The only competition for that title of sorts is last year's Suns.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh no. There goes a good option.

So the Charlotte-freaking-Hornets join the growing list of teams with THREE POINT GUARDS who are better than ANY point guard on the Suns.

How the heck did we go from a ridiculous overload of point guards 5 years ago to this???

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The first part of this tweet looked promising. The second part not so much!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are tanking, I know we are wishing for available guards to come to the rescue but there aren't any out there. Even if we get a competent guard it'll only be counterproductive to tanking. Half way there guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are trying to win. At this point I wish they were tanking. It might give some hope for the future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose