Kingsbury Finalizing a Deal To Become TheArizona Cardinal's Head Coach

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have to believe the Cardinals brass probably made a point to Kingsbury of what they expect on the defensive staff (meaning a veteran NFL DC) and Kingsbury agreed to that or he wouldn't be finalizing a deal.

Kingsbury is likely calling plays himself so whoever the OC is will be less of a factor BUT he needs to get quality positions coaches on offense, especially at OL.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Terrible take! One of the young most attractive guys available and your knocking them proactively in getting him? Just absurd...

Then explain what makes him "One of the young most attractive guys available."

Just because he is "young" he is a good HC? Just because he was hired by a second rate college program to be their OC after failing as a college HC? Their offense wasn't setting the world on fire at TT so don't tell me that he is going to reinvent the NFL. Hell, why aren't we hiring the last Madden World Champion if no previous track record of NFL, let alone concrete college success is required? No one was buzzing about Kliff until media reports started trickling in about interviews. This is chasing the McVay dream and I have no choice but to hope it works, but after we just went through I wanted some stability and experience, not throwing a hail mary.

If you want to dip into the college pool their are plenty of HC's and OC's that fit the bill. Are all available, no, but we're barely a step up from saying "let's hire the best HS coach we can find." If they had hired someone like Tom Herman, I would say "ballsy, risky, but I can wrap my head around it."

Likewise, I could see them bringing KK in as a OC and bringing in someone with more experience as HC with KK to succeed the role eventually if he worked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: HGC

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about this hire, it was a real no-brainer. As badly as Rosen was beaten down this year, the Cardinals had to go with someone who has had success working with QB's. We may not have the defense that the Rams had, but hoping that KK will do for Rosen what McVay did for Goff. We will need a strong DC or we'll lose some high scoring games.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Bojack and Buckybird ........don't be haters! In today's NFL environment, a bright offensive mind combined with a good defensive coordinator could be very exciting and successful. Give it a chance. Our offense was so putrid last year and needs an exciting scheme overhaul!I am on this bandwagon!
No hating here, I’m skeptical for the obvious reasons.

1) mediocre HC, regardless of what school he came from. Mike Leach is a much better HC & proved it at the same school

2) can he assemble a quality staff? Legit question. Cards management has to be heavily involved in this process.

3) poor game manager at Tech, especially closing out games with big leads & utilizing timeouts

4) Does Rosen fit the Air Raid? Hmmm that’s the million $$$ question. Let’s hope so

5) weapons? Keim must kill it in FA & the draft at WR & Oline or else.

6) most HC from college fail in the NFL. Yeah there a few but I bet it’s a bigger percentage.

7) his defenses are generally on the field for more time than usual because of the Air Raid

I will give Michael Bidwill credit that he definitely thought outside the box & swung for the fences. Let’s hope they give him the time (at least 3 years) to fully find out what potential they could have

Let’s hope Bidwill hired the “right guy” instead of the “hot candidate guy”.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

1) mediocre HC, regardless of what school he came from. Mike Leach is a much better HC & proved it at the same school

2) can he assemble a quality staff? Legit question. Cards management has to be heavily involved in this process.

3) poor game manager at Tech, especially closing out games with big leads & utilizing timeouts

4) Does Rosen fit the Air Raid? Hmmm that’s the million $$$ question. Let’s hope so

6) most HC from college fail in the NFL. Yeah there a few but I bet it’s a bigger percentage.

7) his defenses are generally on the field for more time than usual because of the Air Raid

I will give Michael Bidwill credit that he definitely thought outside the box & swung for the fences. Let’s hope they give him the time (at least 3 years) to fully find out what potential they could have

Who was your choice Bucky?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is this?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So many questions. And there would have been no matter who we hired. MANY people thinks he is deserving. McVay tried to recruit him for the playoff run . But hey, what the does he know? However Kent, you’re much smarter than him.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm one. I think Kingsbury will put an exciting team on the field to watch. Watching Wilk's offense was the worst since I've been a season ticket holder (18 years)

Yes Sir, This was, may be the only way, to put Cardinals fans in state farm stadium. 2019 is taken care of. Cards need to win to ensure 2020 also sells like 2019.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good lord we are terrible if Wilks and Kliff are the best we can attract.

Really ?

That there making a decision this quickly speaks to them being comfortable with their decision.

Was GB's choice at the top of your wish list?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping Keim takes into account the deficiencies of Kingsbury by making solid hires around him.

I have to believe this was a given before the hire.
No no no. K K needs to pick his own staff. He has connections.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Let’s hope Bidwill hired the “right guy” instead of the “hot candidate guy”.
I agree with pretty much all of these concerns. I will say that you could argue that almost all HC's from anywhere, not just college, end up failing.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im excited for the offense but this means keim has his hands full upgrading this Oline to prove he hired the right HC to succeed.

If he installs an Air Raid/Pro set hybrid the O Line will not have to be world beaters. That is one of the points of the air raid.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm one. I think Kingsbury will put an exciting team on the field to watch. Watching Wilk's offense was the worst since I've been a season ticket holder (18 years)

I actually think this is a great point in itself. Kingsbury might turn out to be a fiasco, but right now it is at least an exciting hire that will inject hope and promise into the fans.