Suns fire McD

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No one is a perfect GM. Things seemed like they were always just about to be better. We were always one more player around the corner from getting better. The free agent thing is bad. I feel like no big name free agents seriously look at Phoenix as a destination. Without that piece of the equation, we will always lag behind the rest of the league. Booker and Ayton MUST succeed in order for us to try and turn this around. We have to make the playoffs and do a second round or better to get the league to take us seriously. That is not going to happen this year unless Igor IS a genius.

Sarver has to reestablish a front office that is respected. He also has to rebuild his image as an owner. There's a lot of moving parts that have to be fixed here to get the free agent part turned around.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one is a perfect GM. Things seemed like they were always just about to be better. We were always one more player around the corner from getting better. The free agent thing is bad. I feel like no big name free agents seriously look at Phoenix as a destination. Without that piece of the equation, we will always lag behind the rest of the league. Booker and Ayton MUST succeed in order for us to try and turn this around. We have to make the playoffs and do a second round or better to get the league to take us seriously. That is not going to happen this year unless Igor IS a genius.

Sarver has to reestablish a front office that is respected. He also has to rebuild his image as an owner. There's a lot of moving parts that have to be fixed here to get the free agent part turned around.

I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Most teams struggle to get the key free agents. We aren't one of the golden franchises but we're in no worse shape as a FA draw than most of the teams IMO. We've made a play for (and missed on) a couple of big names but for the most part, we haven't been in search of free agents. We already have a full roster of young players so there's no room unless we're ready to ship some of them out.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just don't think it's that big of a deal. Most teams struggle to get the key free agents. We aren't one of the golden franchises but we're in no worse shape as a FA draw than most of the teams IMO. We've made a play for (and missed on) a couple of big names but for the most part, we haven't been in search of free agents. We already have a full roster of young players so there's no room unless we're ready to ship some of them out.
To be very honest, PHX doesn't need to be a FA destination. They can draft their core and with Birds Rights they can retain them if Sarver is willing to pay luxury tax, OKC went that route before they made the mistake of jettisoning Harden. But, Jackson & Bridges need to pan out to go with Booker & Ayton to make up for bust picks like Chriss & Bender. PHX could also go trade route but depending on how big the target it may cost them one of Jackson or Bridges. I would be willing to trade our own first rounder and Warren and Bender to get Lillard because their is no blue chip PG in next year's draft. If D'Angelo Russell becomes available I would be interested in him if I was James Jones.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be very honest, PHX doesn't need to be a FA destination. They can draft their core and with Birds Rights they can retain them if Sarver is willing to pay luxury tax, OKC went that route before they made the mistake of jettisoning Harden. But, Jackson & Bridges need to pan out to go with Booker & Ayton to make up for bust picks like Chriss & Bender. PHX could also go trade route but depending on how big the target it may cost them one of Jackson or Bridges. I would be willing to trade our own first rounder and Warren and Bender to get Lillard because their is no blue chip PG in next year's draft. If D'Angelo Russell becomes available I would be interested in him if I was James Jones.

I do not like the Russell idea but I agree with everything else here.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The problem is what we would be willing to trade is not what other team's want. If I was a GM I wouldn't take Bender and Warren for Lillard. I'd rather keep Lillard at that point. I would also be looking for Phoenix to give me one of their picks. Not the Milwaukee pick. I want someone good in return plus a Phoenix pick. I am trading a starter for two bench guys and a pick? You have to give me something better.

Don't get me wrong. I want Lillard. I am thinking the price was too steep or we would have done it by now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is what we would be willing to trade is not what other team's want. If I was a GM I wouldn't take Bender and Warren for Lillard. I'd rather keep Lillard at that point. I would also be looking for Phoenix to give me one of their picks. Not the Milwaukee pick. I want someone good in return plus a Phoenix pick. I am trading a starter for two bench guys and a pick? You have to give me something better.

Don't get me wrong. I want Lillard. I am thinking the price was too steep or we would have done it by now.

I think we'd have to include our unprotected first this year, the Milwaukee pick and at least one more (also unprotected).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we'd have to include our unprotected first this year, the Milwaukee pick and at least one more (also unprotected).
That's a lot of eggs in one Lillard basket! I know we aren't supposed to be looking at draft picks, but still, you want to have a few here and there! LOL!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of eggs in one Lillard basket! I know we aren't supposed to be looking at draft picks, but still, you want to have a few here and there! LOL!

Yeah but Bender has zero value and Warren is worth no more than a mid first rounder so 3 firsts isn't that much for someone like Lillard. It might be different if he was near the end of his deal and forcing a trade. Not that I think he's available anyway.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not seeing why the Trail Blazers would part with Lillard unless they are going nowhere at the trade deadline and even then it's doubtful.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not seeing why the Trail Blazers would part with Lillard unless they are going nowhere at the trade deadline and even then it's doubtful.

They're secretly a bit of a disaster. I don't know if it's Lillard or their coaching or a combination of both, but that is a team somehow scrapping out playoff seasons with hundreds of millions in dead weight salary with zero hope of building into an actual contender. They're lucky they've got one of the richest men in the world as an owner or Lillard would have been moved a year ago or earlier.

If they take a step backwards and are clearly not a playoff team, I don't think they have any choice but to use Lillard to unload some crap contracts and get some picks at the same time.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They're secretly a bit of a disaster. I don't know if it's Lillard or their coaching or a combination of both, but that is a team somehow scrapping out playoff seasons with hundreds of millions in dead weight salary with zero hope of building into an actual contender. They're lucky they've got one of the richest men in the world as an owner or Lillard would have been moved a year ago or earlier.

If they take a step backwards and are clearly not a playoff team, I don't think they have any choice but to use Lillard to unload some crap contracts and get some picks at the same time.

I was thinking the same. Year after year they continue to fall short of expectations. They're kind of like the Raptors and Wizards where they're stuck in a spot good enough for the playoffs and not great enough to advance at all.

I believe that team is stuck together for a little while, everyone is overly paid and locked up. Depends on the FO if they want to blow it up and start retooling.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think trading a star is a step in the right direction. If they can wait until after next season, they should be all right. Some of their excess contracts may be tradeable for expiring contracts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that team is stuck together for a little while, everyone is overly paid and locked up. Depends on the FO if they want to blow it up and start retooling.

IMO, the Trail Blazers are too good to start over. Even if they decide too, they will want a boatload of assets for Lillard. I'm not sure the Suns have the assets to get a deal done. This is where I miss that future Miami pick as a trade piece. My guess, it would probably take several first round picks and Josh Jackson for the Trail Blazers to consider it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You cant just walk in and pluck a player like Lillard off of someone else's team. This is especially true of star players. This is why this stage of the rebuilding process is so hard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, the Trail Blazers are too good to start over. Even if they decide too, they will want a boatload of assets for Lillard. I'm not sure the Suns have the assets to get a deal done. This is where I miss that future Miami pick as a trade piece. My guess, it would probably take several first round picks and Josh Jackson for the Trail Blazers to consider it.
If the Suns don't have the assets, who does? I just don't see Portland trading Lillard, period. They do not need to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns don't have the assets, who does? I just don't see Portland trading Lillard, period. They do not need to.

This is my perspective as well. I was simply pointing out what it would take to trade for Lillard if the Trail Blazers were willing. IMO, they will keep him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we are better off letting it play out this year. We have some make-or-break players this year, most notably Bender.
Then Canaan and Harrison depending on which one is here.
And another year to see if JJ improves and how Bridges is coming along.

Most probable outcome is that we lose Bender, Canaan and Harrison after this year. We have roster spots and cap room next year to go for real quality players, as well as a couple of picks for the future.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only way Portland trades Lillard is if they're outside of the playoffs by a good amount come the trade deadline with no hope of improving. That could be an injury to McCollum or Nurkic or something else, at that point they will be getting too many calls about Lillard to say no outright but they'll be asking for a huge haul. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended talks with the Suns because we wouldn't include Ayton. If the Suns thought about dealing Ayton for Lillard then I think I would quit following the NBA until Sarver sold. Lillard is awesome but Ayton is a gift from the basketball gods.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way Portland trades Lillard is if they're outside of the playoffs by a good amount come the trade deadline with no hope of improving. That could be an injury to McCollum or Nurkic or something else, at that point they will be getting too many calls about Lillard to say no outright but they'll be asking for a huge haul. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended talks with the Suns because we wouldn't include Ayton. If the Suns thought about dealing Ayton for Lillard then I think I would quit following the NBA until Sarver sold. Lillard is awesome but Ayton is a gift from the basketball gods.

Ayton and Booker are untouchable as I see it... Jackson not as much.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ayton and Booker are untouchable as I see it... Jackson not as much.
So lottery wise, we need just one more of our young guys to become an Ayton, Booker level or close to that. We have lots of potentials, just need one to work.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So lottery wise, we need just one more of our young guys to become an Ayton, Booker level or close to that. We have lots of potentials, just need one to work.
An all around 3 and D wing would be the perfect complement—Bridges?

Then we just sign a pf in free agency. KD

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
KD is one of my favorite players ever. The guy plays multiple roles for GS. We would never get him. I would buy a Suns Durant jersey immediately!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson