Are You Willing To Endure An "Off" Year?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We'll fight and struggle this year, but do well enough to make positive progress. There is certainly enough talent on this team to expect 8-8, with the caveat that we are not a deep team. We can certainly make the playoffs as a wild card if we stay healthy, but we're one or two key injuries away from a lost season. If one of our key five players goes down (I'm including Bradford), we can't make up for it. We don't have depth at OLB, CB, RB, or WR. If two go down, we're picking at the top of the draft.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So wait a second. Just because Brice Butler, Greg Little and Cap Capi were cut, we're now going to have an "off year?" Huh??

We may win less than 8 games this year... especially if Bradford can't stay healthy. But whatever we end up with in terms of wins will have little to nothing to do with the cuts that were just made...

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I'm with you. When we went to the Super Bowl I was 56 and decided if I wanted to see the Cards in the SB I had better figure out a way to go. It was a great trip until the very end.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So wait a second. Just because Brice Butler, Greg Little and Cap Capi were cut, we're now going to have an "off year?" Huh??

We may win less than 8 games this year... especially if Bradford can't stay healthy. But whatever we end up with in terms of wins will have little to nothing to do with the cuts that were just made...

Recency bias much? What about the moves this team made since March have told you that this team is making an effort to maximize their playoff opportunities this year?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did anyone really think that the Philadelphia Eagles would be SB Champs last year???? Can we just see how things play out before we sign off on a 5-11 season. I understand the boredom of waiting for the season to start, but no one truly knows how this will play out. Wilks seems to be an intense dude that will have his team ready to rip heads off from day one. I guarantee you he’s not thinking that we’re 2-3 years away from Championship contention.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m certainly not the rabid fan as many are here on this board. I don’t live and die by this team. I enjoy the entertainment of watching them on TV.
That’s all I have.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did anyone really think that the Philadelphia Eagles would be SB Champs last year???? Can we just see how things play out before we sign off on a 5-11 season. I understand the boredom of waiting for the season to start, but no one truly knows how this will play out. Wilks seems to be an intense dude that will have his team ready to rip heads off from day one. I guarantee you he’s not thinking that we’re 2-3 years away from Championship contention.

Words and actions are different. In the entire preseason, the defense played like guys who were afraid to get physical.

Coaches never think that we're 2-3 years away from the playoffs; they couldn't work 18 hour days if they did. But I don't think that Wilks has control over final cuts, either.

A lot of people did think that the Eagles would be a competitive team. The guys at the Ringer NFL Show considered them, top to bottom, one of the best rosters in the league.

Again, the guy we're pinning our hopes on, Sam Bradford, played nearly flawless football in Week 1, walked off the field without a hitch in his gait, and then disappeared for the next 14 weeks with an injury that was never disclosed. He's basically the only thing standing between us and a 4-win season.

Let's get AMPED. Maybe we can build a foundation out of bricks. Or something something something hurdle in the middle of the locker room.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Words and actions are different. In the entire preseason, the defense played like guys who were afraid to get physical.

Coaches never think that we're 2-3 years away from the playoffs; they couldn't work 18 hour days if they did. But I don't think that Wilks has control over final cuts, either.

A lot of people did think that the Eagles would be a competitive team. The guys at the Ringer NFL Show considered them, top to bottom, one of the best rosters in the league.

Again, the guy we're pinning our hopes on, Sam Bradford, played nearly flawless football in Week 1, walked off the field without a hitch in his gait, and then disappeared for the next 14 weeks with an injury that was never disclosed. He's basically the only thing standing between us and a 4-win season.

Let's get AMPED. Maybe we can build a foundation out of bricks. Or something something something hurdle in the middle of the locker room.

1. So we don't know what the injury is even today. Anyone have any educated guesses what it may have been?

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if we get an of year, and than have our OBoF ready to get us a decade of contention and at least 1 SB ... gosh ... for me they can have a 0-16 debacle season.

But on the other hand, i don't think we have a down year, we will be arund 6-10 and 9-7 with some luck we will be in the playoffs but ... that would be really be lucky ...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if not for the Rosen trade, I'd probably have just as much as excitement about this season as I did last year... which is to say none.

But knowing there's a QBOTF on board, I look forward to a year with no expectations, but hoping to watch young guys grow and an attitude established so that when our young gun is ready to be taken out of the holster, we can start firing away from the get go next year. And I think with Mr. Glass at QB, we're probably going to see Rosen at some point that year. My expectations certainly won't go up then... that's a tough job for any rookie QB, but I'll be really excited to watch and see those moments where he flashes and gives hope for seasons to come.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
if we get an of year, and than have our OBoF ready to get us a decade of contention and at least 1 SB ... gosh ... for me they can have a 0-16 debacle season.

But on the other hand, i don't think we have a down year, we will be arund 6-10 and 9-7 with some luck we will be in the playoffs but ... that would be really be lucky ...

Rosen isn't starting to begin the season. If Rosen starts 7 games and improves from game 1 to 7, I think we'll all have a different perspective. But that isn't the plan now.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we really have a choice?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
if not for the Rosen trade, I'd probably have just as much as excitement about this season as I did last year... which is to say none.

But knowing there's a QBOTF on board, I look forward to a year with no expectations, but hoping to watch young guys grow and an attitude established so that when our young gun is ready to be taken out of the holster, we can start firing away from the get go next year. And I think with Mr. Glass at QB, we're probably going to see Rosen at some point that year. My expectations certainly won't go up then... that's a tough job for any rookie QB, but I'll be really excited to watch and see those moments where he flashes and gives hope for seasons to come.

Do you think Chad Williams can be a Top 3 WR on a championship team? Do you think that Hasaan Reddick will develop when he's seeing 40% of the snaps? Into what?

Young players I'll be watching:

1) D.J. Humphries -- Has to earn a new big deal
2) Budda Baker -- Actually could be really special. Has to show that he can defend the bigger WRs who are being moved into the slot more and more
3) Christian Kirk -- I was skeptical of the draft pick, and more so after the media attention about basically being a local kid. Can he get off press and make plays in the NFL?
4) Mason Cole (edited to add) --- Chopper thinks he fell in the draft because everyone mis-evaluated him. We'll see.

Are there other players right now on their first contract who you expect to be on the team two years from now? I think that's it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’m not sure why you think the Cardinals are pinning their hopes on Bradford??? The Cardinals know exactly what they have with him. There’s about a 25% chance he plays the entire season, and the Cardinals know that. That’s why they brought Glennon in & drafted a QB high in the 1st round. We have perhaps the best all around RB coming back this year & bringing in a Carolina tough in the trenches attitude with our new coaching regime. I loved the BA years, but we were a finesse team that pussied out at critical times. We will now be a smash mouth, nasty team. I’m looking forward to it!!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Seems to me this thread was started after the cuts, no?

Okay. But every time a subject like this comes up, it's "Wait until after free agency/after June 1st cuts/after training camp starts/etc."

This is 90% of the team that we're gonna have in Week 2. This is the time to start drawing conclusions about what the front office has created.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m not sure why you think the Cardinals are pinning their hopes on Bradford??? The Cardinals know exactly what they have with him. There’s about a 25% chance he plays the entire season, and the Cardinals know that. That’s why they brought Glennon in & drafted a QB high in the 1st round. We have perhaps the best all around RB coming back this year & bringing in a Carolina tough in the trenches attitude with our new coaching regime. I loved the BA years, but we were a finesse team that pussied out at critical times. We will now be a smash mouth, nasty team. I’m looking forward to it!!!
Bradford and Glennon were signed on the same day.

EDIT: Also, Glennon stinks and Rosen is a rookie. The only chance this team has of winning 9+ games is that Bradford starts 14, which he hasn't done since 2016 (and still went 7-8 with a good D and better WRs).

What have you seen from the preseason D that makes you think they'll be smash-mouth and nasty?

Reaction score

I wonder how we got so many turnovers? 16 was it? I think we were +15 on the preseason. Granted it's the preseason though.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bradford and Glennon were signed on the same day.

EDIT: Also, Glennon stinks and Rosen is a rookie. The only chance this team has of winning 9+ games is that Bradford starts 14, which he hasn't done since 2016 (and still went 7-8 with a good D and better WRs).

What have you seen from the preseason D that makes you think they'll be smash-mouth and nasty?

The only preseason game I give any credence to is game 3. They definitely did show smash mouth capabilities in the few series that the 1st team was in. Didn’t they cause some crazy amount of turnovers this preseason??? If you’ve watched any Carolina football while our HC & DC were there, then you just know what the game plan will be.