2016 NBA Draft thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The ESPN lottery mock draft simulator is now up. I would link to it, but I don't have enough posts. I ran the simulation five times. The Suns got the #1 pick once and the #2 pick twice!

Played with.

First time, #1 pick.
Second time, 3rd pick.
Third time, 2nd pick.
Quit while I was ahead.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some mock drafts have Ben Simmons not being the #1 pick.

The ones I've seen with Simmons going 2nd involved Philly getting the first pick and not needing Simmons as opposed to Ingram actually passing him by. Ben has been disappointing of late though so if Ingram hadn't also fallen off the cliff he probably would have been passed for that first spot.

At this point though I wouldn't be shocked to see a strong tourney run or combine showing move someone else into consideration for the first and second spot. From what I've read, teams would love to have a non-Simmons option for that first spot.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ben Simmons will sign with Rich Paul (agent of Eric Bledsoe and Earl Watson).

Simmons' older sister, Emily Bush, has been a marketing/branding employee of Klutch since 2014. She is based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel a bit bad for Simmons everyone is blaming him for LSU but I think the real issue is Johnny Jones can't coach a lick. They were 22-10 last year 19-14 this year but I don't think the difference was Ben is overrated I think the difference is the coach had too many new kids and wasn't a good enough coach to integrate them all.

Simmons is legit he'll be a terrific pro player. Jay Bilas just said on ESPN he wonders if the message it sends to the next Ben Simmons is go to Duke or Kentucky you won't score as much but you will win. I don't think he meant it to sound like advice as much as a question but it was an interesting point. Simmons is getting blamed for LSU not winning more.

They have way too much talent to be where they are, very athletic team but very poorly coached IMO.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In other news Skal did not show up this weekend, barely played, foul trouble..

Seems like he will be a candidate at #12-13 and it might be a little bit of a reach.

Would be a tough decision between Rabb(solid but unspectacular) and Labissiere(project and potential).

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Increased speculation means more page loads. Those sites aren't doing this for free.

I think there is a legit case for Ingram over Simmons.

Ingram is a prototype SF who already does the things well that he needs to show in the NBA and he has great size. 6'10 SF with great length, good shooting touch, versatile offensive game and defense well. Worst case he is a better Otto Porter.

Plus the Lakers and Sixers definitely need a SF a lot more than a PF.

Plus if Ingram works on his body over the next 2-3 years he could develop into the ultimate stretch 4.

Simmons on the other hand has a huge hole in his game as of right now. He needs to develop a jumper. I am also not sure how his game will translate. At LSU I often saw him standing at the 3pt line and just holding the ball until someone would get open.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Could Ingram possibly run the point like the Greek freak? Dude is killing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My predictions for sleepers of the draft:

1. DSabonis. Plays with a physicality and passion. Better athlete than most think. Fantastic rebounder. Very good footwork.
2 Gary Payton II. Top notch defender. Will be a steal in the second round.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like we might be in danger of losing that Washington pick this year. That team is playing horribly right now and is only two wins ahead of Denver, the #9 team (from the bottom).

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like we might be in danger of losing that Washington pick this year. That team is playing horribly right now and is only two wins ahead of Denver, the #9 team (from the bottom).

The good news is that they still have games against the 76ers, Lakers, Wolves, Knicks, and Kings, and they play the Nets twice. They're also still in striking range of the playoffs, but barely. Hopefully, they don't shut it down, because then all bets are off.

I'm surprised they've struggled this badly. Maybe Markieff isn't a game-changing superstar after all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The good news is that they still have games against the 76ers, Lakers, Wolves, Knicks, and Kings, and they play the Nets twice. They're also still in striking range of the playoffs, but barely. Hopefully, they don't shut it down, because then all bets are off.

I'm surprised they've struggled this badly. Maybe Markieff isn't a game-changing superstar after all.
The other good news is there are still 3 teams in that 2 game gap.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
DX moved Zubac and Zizic up to 21 and 22.

Ulis up to 26.

Currently they have Timothe Luwawu at #12 to us,Brown at #3 and Petr Cornelie at 28.

Last edited:

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This tends to happen. When I find myself getting excited about specific players who are ranked too low, chances are other people are thinking the same thing.

I remember Oladipo, for example, going from an interesting second round pick to a consensus top 5 guy in a matter of weeks.

I think Ulis will not be available at the Cavs pick come June. As much as I like his game, I'm less excited about him at the Wizards pick.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think there is a legit case for Ingram over Simmons.

Ingram is a prototype SF who already does the things well that he needs to show in the NBA and he has great size. 6'10 SF with great length, good shooting touch, versatile offensive game and defense well. Worst case he is a better Otto Porter.

Plus the Lakers and Sixers definitely need a SF a lot more than a PF.

Plus if Ingram works on his body over the next 2-3 years he could develop into the ultimate stretch 4.

Simmons on the other hand has a huge hole in his game as of right now. He needs to develop a jumper. I am also not sure how his game will translate. At LSU I often saw him standing at the 3pt line and just holding the ball until someone would get open.

Indeed!

Ingram is 14 months younger than Simmons, has a longer wingspan by four inches and a standing reach six and a half inches higher. Ingram is a better shooter – which is perhaps the most important skill in today’s NBA – and has shown a much better trajectory throughout the college season. The intel on Ingram as a teammate and competitor has been much stronger than Simmons’. Yes, Ingram has a much more frail frame now, but it’s easy to envision him filling out as he ages and matures.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-b...prospect-in-the-2016-nba-draft-190023711.html

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My predictions for sleepers of the draft:

1. DSabonis. Plays with a physicality and passion. Better athlete than most think. Fantastic rebounder. Very good footwork.
2 Gary Payton II. Top notch defender. Will be a steal in the second round.

I love Payton he's a freak athlete. I don't think people outside the West have seen him enough to appreciate his rebounding and block #'s at his size.

not a great shooter and not his dad as a PG but I think he'll play in the NBA for years. Very tough kid too.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
With Zubac and Zizic being out of the picture at #28 now likely.

I wouldn't mind picking GP2 at 28. I think we need a third string PG. Late first round picks are worth a lot more than early 2nd round picks because of the control you get over a player long term. If you think you have someone who will be in the league for many years it is better to draft him with a first. At #33 you can roll the dice.

I think GP2 would be a good fit with Booker.

Also Draftexpress moved Brandon Ingram to #1.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

On the bright side, it makes that Markieff trade look absolutely brilliant.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You all have seen this, I am sure. Ingram can shoot too.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its beginning to look like a 4 player draft rather than a two player draft. That is because the top two have slumped some. That would be good news for the Suns, I guess. Chances are pretty good we get a top 4 pick.

Simmons, Ingram, Brown, Bender.

If we get the fifth pick, I would not be surprised to see McD go with Labissiere. He has all the stuff. He can run shoot, play D, rebound, block a shot. He just has not really put it together with Kentucky yet. But when you look at who is left in that 5-8 range, he might be the player with the most upside.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. I have been thinking about this a lot. Why would I want to spend my top draft pick on a player who cannot be bothered to play defense?

If Simmons show any of the "above it" attitude in the pre draft interviews that he shows in his defensive play, I take Ingram.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Brown has slumped a lot more than the top 2 and Bender has shown about as much as Labissiere.

At this point I am ready for Kris Dunn. Even though I have reservations ( not a good shooter right now, high assists but also turnovers, 4yr junior with an injury year ). But Brown is super raw potential, Poetl in my opinion is probably not going to be better than Zubac/Zizic/Zimmermann, Bender is only potential and I am not sure about Murray fitting with Booker. Murray is too much high volume for my taste.

Plus I would love to trade Knight, it is not that he is a bad player, I just can't stand watching him play.

Last edited: