Jace Amaro, TE Texas Tech.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm watching ASU getting destroyed by TT and this Jace Amaro kid looks like a legit TE that this offense so desperately needs. He got arrested for credit card fraud. Any draft experts out there have a theory on where this guy might go in the draft?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'm watching ASU getting destroyed by TT and this Jace Amaro kid looks like a legit TE that this offense so desperately needs. He got arrested for credit card fraud. Any draft experts out there have a theory on where this guy might go in the draft?

First round talent who it sounds like isn't hurting his cause tonight.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
He's a mid/late 1st rd talent. He and Eric Ebron (North Carolina) will battle to be the 1st TE off the board. At least one of the two should be there when we pick.

OP
OP
Broseph

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm wondering if his arrest for credit card scam may have him fall. But all the obvious physical tools are there. The dude would start day 1 for us.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I've watched him star all year since my GF is a Tech fan. He reminds me of Tony Gonzales, but I'm kind of leery of any receiver or any QB coming from Lubbock & that system.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Amaro is good

But ASU is making the entire TT offense look like first round picks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Stud. the question is how big of a gap is there between him and Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

My top 3 right now is probably
1-Khalil Mack- OLB - Buffalo (doubt he is there at 20)
2-Benardrick McKinley - OLB/DE - Mississippi St. (hasn't declared yet, but Aldon Smith type body and athelticism)
3-Jace Amaro - TE - Texas Tech (would allow big plays out of big formations)

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stud. the question is how big of a gap is there between him and Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

My top 3 right now is probably
1-Khalil Mack- OLB - Buffalo (doubt he is there at 20)
2-Benardrick McKinley - OLB/DE - Mississippi St. (hasn't declared yet, but Aldon Smith type body and athelticism)
3-Jace Amaro - TE - Texas Tech (would allow big plays out of big formations)

mckniley is a sophomore.had 2,5 sacks in the season and just 4 qbs hurries.i dont see why he should enter the draft

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think Ebron is more like a Vernon Davis TE, an athletic freak, and Amaro is more like a Rob Housler type, only more polished and better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
mckniley is a sophomore.had 2,5 sacks in the season and just 4 qbs hurries.i dont see why he should enter the draft

I didn't think he was going to declare either, but there has been some buzz that he is considering it. I am excited to watch him play today on a big stage.

football karma

Reaction score
you can see Amaro's ability to catch -- great hands, adjusted to the ball, looks very natural catching it

I suspect that he wont run a blazing time in the 40. Not totally sure he is a guy who will scare people down the seam with speed

-- but I also think he can be a Jason Witten type TE who knows coverages, runs good routes, gets open and catches everything thrown his way.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see GM Keim using our first round pick on a TE. IMO it will either be an OT or DE/OLB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't see GM Keim using our first round pick on a TE. IMO it will either be an OT or DE/OLB.

Like using a top 10 pick on a guard?

Something that I hope most folks on this board get is that Jim Dray registered the 3rd highest percentage of snaps of all backs and wide receivers for the Cardinals this season playing 63% of all offensive snaps.

Fitzgerald - 92%
Michael Floyd - 85%
Jim Dray - 63%
Andre Roberts - 57%
Rob Housler - 48% (despite missing 4 games due to injury)

When your top two TEs are playing 63% and 48% of snaps, that is a priority position to upgrade in the offseason. Keim and Arians will address TE in the draft, possibly early and possibly drafting multiple players.

Snap % is a stat that I really see smart GMs using when spending money in FA and for the early rounds of the draft. How many opportunities are those players going to get to impact the game? That should definitely drive where we are spending our money and how we are investing our high draft picks.

Using this formula, what players could be upgraded to get the most impact...

LT - Bradley Sowell/Levi Brown - 100%
SS - Yerimiah Bell - 99%
LG - Daryn Colledge - 94%
OLB - John Abraham - 79% (I mention because we will eventually have to replace him due to age)
TE1 - Jim Dray - 63%
FS - Rashad Johnson - 55%

FYI - no RB logged even 50% of offensive snaps.

So, with either the draft or free agency, our needs appear to be LT, LG, SS, OLB, TE and FS. However, Cooper is expected to fill the LG need and Mathieu helps alleviate some FS and 3CB snaps. Therefore top offseason needs are probably LT, SS, OLB and TE.

snap stats courtesy of footballoutsiders.com

Last edited:

football karma

Reaction score

Something that I hope most folks on this board get is that Jim Dray registered the 3rd highest percentage of snaps of all backs and wide receivers for the Cardinals this season playing 63% of all offensive snaps.

Fitzgerald - 92%
Michael Floyd - 85%
Jim Dray - 63%
Andre Roberts - 57%

When your top two TEs are playing 63% and 48% of snaps, that is a priority position to upgrade in the offseason. Keim and Arians will address TE in the draft, possibly early and possibly drafting multiple players.

after o-line -- getting the right two TEs in the offense would really make it hard to stop.

A TE that can really block, and work intermediate routes, coupled with one that is adequate at blocking, but can blow down the seam means that in 2 TE, 2 WR, one back groups -- the offense can run or throw without giving up much of either.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
after o-line -- getting the right two TEs in the offense would really make it hard to stop.

A TE that can really block, and work intermediate routes, coupled with one that is adequate at blocking, but can blow down the seam means that in 2 TE, 2 WR, one back groups -- the offense can run or throw without giving up much of either.

Yes any upgrade in production from our top TE SHOULD, by this reasoning, create a greater impact to our offense over an upgrade at RB or 3rd WR. Scary to think that Jim Dray registered the 3rd most snaps of all of our WRs, TEs and RBs.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

Fitzgerald - 92%
Michael Floyd - 85%
Jim Dray - 63%
Andre Roberts - 57%

Snap % is a stat that I really see smart GMs using when spending money in FA and for the early rounds of the draft. How many opportunities are those players going to get to impact the game? That should definitely drive where we are spending our money and how we are investing our high draft picks.

SS - Yerimiah Bell - 99%
OLB - John Abraham - 79% (I mention because we will eventually have to replace him due to age)
TE1 - Jim Dray - 63%

So, with either the draft or free agency, our needs appear to be LT, LG, SS, OLB, TE and FS. However, Cooper is expected to fill the LG need and Mathieu helps alleviate some FS and 3CB snaps. Therefore top offseason needs are probably LT, SS, OLB and TE.

Add a speedy WR who can return kickoffs and/or punts and you've nailed the offseason shopping list IMO. Of course, that's assuming Steve Keim can re-sign critical pieces like Karlos Dansby, Matt Shaugnessey and Eric Winston.

Reaction score

Fitzgerald - 92%
Michael Floyd - 85%
Jim Dray - 63%
Andre Roberts - 57%

SS - Yerimiah Bell - 99%
TE1 - Jim Dray - 63%

Good assessment, Chopper.

Reaction score

What's the story behind this? We don't need an Aaron Hernandez. :p

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're both long, lean, less physical type TE's while Ebron and Davis are more athletic, physical types.
Absolutely no comparison. Jace is 6'5" 265 lbs and runs people over. Similar physique to Tony Gonzales. He plays inline, spread out, in the slot, stacked and out of the backfield. OBTW, runs the 40 in the 4.5s. Ebron is nothing more than a big WR.