2014 Mock Draft

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here is my first mock draft. Although its sure to change, I feel really, really good about it.

I considered BPA heavily, and it just so happened that our biggest needs happened to line up perfectly. Our offense is DOA. We need to invest early picks in offense. And the elephant in the room is Quarterback. This is a very good QB class. I think its now or never. As you’ll see, Taj Boyd is my #1 pick and I think hes best one in the group. Even moreso than Bridegwater because I think Taj has him beat in his football intelligence. My entire draft hinges on the 2nd round, although I still say we go Boyd #1. The LT Hurst is a double win.

I built this with the belief we will be picking anywhere from 8-14.

1st round
- Tahj boyd QB Clemson (draws strong comparisons to Russ Wilson), Great Pocket QB + athleticism. A+ character/leader. I whole heartedly believe this guy is a franchise QB and hes by far my favorite QB in an otherwise very deep QB class. Consistent for 3 years straight putting up outstanding numbers.

Kyle Van Noy OLB BYU. I love Van Noy. Hes the Tyrann Mathieu of linebackers, sans weed. Hes just a playmaker every single game, his entire career. Consistency is huge with me, and this guy is as consistent as they come. He is not an elite pass rusher, but hes a very damn good one. In fact hes a very damn good everything. Tackler, coverage, blitz, run stop. Hes the ultimate 3 down backer utility man. I want to call him the safest pick in the entire draft. He, Daryl and Minter would create the most versatile, athletic LB corps in the NFL.

Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo, is also an option Ive seen alot lately. A lot of people love Mack. But im a little apprehensive. Ive seen him play and hes looked great at times. The fact hes come out of nowhere worries me. Consistency is, in my opinion, the greatest indicator of future production. Luke Kuechly was dominant consistently his entire career at BC. Russel Wilson was dominant at both NC State and Wisconsin. Conversely, Cam Newton put up one lights out season at Auburn, got drafted #1 overall, and has since struggled at the NFL level. Mack doesn’t have enough resume to warrant a 1st round selection, at the moment. The College season isn’t over, so if he can keep production high through the end, maybe he would be worth a shot. He also strongly reminds me of Bruce Irvin.

**Anthony Barr OLB UCLA, theres no way he falls to us. Hes gone within the top 5. No reason to even speculate on him.

2nd round-
James Hurst OT - NC - My entire mock draft hinges on this pick of Hurst. He was Coops teammate at NC. And my choice of him wouldnt be affected by Cooper if Coop wasnt on our team. Hes Extremely intelligent and athletic. He shut down Jadaveon Clowney. What I like about him in addition to the fact that hes a franchise LT, is that he and Cooper are both further improved. Our 2 elite, franchise players, theyll both get better with the others presence. Reports say they worked very well together on the left side at NC. And a lot of their success came from being together/on the same page. This pick right here is just a win, top to bottom. Kind of like PP and Tyrann. Both great players in their own right. But together, they are that much better.(In fact we should try to get him at all costs after weve made our 1st pick..depeding on where we are and what the trend is with other teams. Possibly franchise pairing on the left side of the line). He could be in the running to be our 1st round pick. Theres so much extra value brought to our team in this pick, its ridiculous.

Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama. Must find that pass rusher. Hes a very good option. Big, fast, athletic. Co leader of the Bama dynasty defense. Possible character issues, so keep an eye on that pre draft.

Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State. Hes slightly undersized at 228, but hes extremely athletic, and very instinctive. He currently is projected to be a 4-3 OLB, but I don’t think it really matters considering we don’t run a true 3-4 here. We have so many looks, all that matters if if our guys on the field can make the play. Shazier is a stud.

3rd round-
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech. Shut down Bamas' Amari Cooper. Good size + speed. Form tackler. NFL bloodlines. We need a more sound #2 on this team. I don’t think Powers gets it done. Fuller would be phenomenal.

Bryan Stork C Florida State. Considering the Cowboys took Travis Frederick in the 1st round this year, its probably a HUGE stretch to think Sotrk will be there in the 3rd. Hes the top Center available. Got future pro bowler written all over him.

Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech. Still hunting for that pass rusher. Somewhat raw but has big upside. Reminds me of JPP.

4th round-
Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State. Dependant on the Bryan Stork situation. Weston has quietly graded out as one of the top centers in the nation 4 years running. Wow. Somewhat small school. He could be our Roberts-Citadel steal.

Jackson Jeffcoat , DE, Texas. The 3rd annual take a Texas DE in the 4th round pass rush memorial pick.

5th round-
Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin. * I made this pick prior to Alamedas emergence on our D, so he and Cobble at NT might be dropped* Very Solid backup/rotational man for Dan. 6'3 325, hes not wanting for size.

Charles Lynch, TE, Georgia. Good blocker. Good receiver. Take one of those in the 5th round anyday.

Mister Cobble, NT, Kentucky. Antoher mammoth NT who shows huge potential. Really need a good backup to Dan.

6th round-
Chris Boswell, K, Rice. Need to find our Legatron. Hes a good a shot as any.

"Bootstrap" Bill Turner, OT, North Dakota State. Because its funny and you can never have too many OTs.

Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley. Size and speed and potential.

7th round -
Gary Nova, QB, Rutgers. If that isnt a franchise QBs name I dont know what is.

Additional guys that I like:

Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky. We have an excess of ILBs at the moment, so this looks very unlikely. Doesn’t take away from his value though. Hes a 3-4th rounder. Draws strong comparisons to Ray Lewis. Elite tackler and run defender. Needs to improve pass D.

Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor. Massive, powerful, road grader, wall of a dude. For all his size, hes reportedly incredibly athletic. Problem is we have an excess of G's. Round 2 option but could very well go in the 1st. He + Cooper would make an elite G duo. (Add in Hurst + Cooper + Cyril and our line would trump the 9ers)

Odell Beckham Jr, WR, LSU. Major field stretching deep threat. Speed, speed , speed. This guy is ROCKETING up draft boards. Too bad, he would’ve been such a steal.

Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech. If he fell that far, Id like him in the 5th over Charles Lynch. I just dont he'll make it that far. Hes one of those "Vance Mcdonald" types. Very quiet but big big upside.

David Fales, QB, San Jose State. Time to go after QBs and hope ones a Brady.

Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State. Looks very solid. Brother of David Carr, but thats not his fault.

Taylor Hart, DT, Oregon. Led Oregon in sacks last year with 8. Being an Ore duck, very athletic and fast.

L'Damian Washington. WR, Missou, 6'4 205 and supposedly runs in the mid 4.3's Thats borderline Megatron athleticism, Super deep threat. Hes currently slated around a 6th rounder/FA although im sure that 40 will skyrocket him up boards.

Last edited:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Big fan of Tahj Boyd. What does SF and Sea have in common? An athletic QB, a strong run game and a dominant D. Well, we already have a good D, your draft solidifies our D, and gets us that athletic QB. Great place to start

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
I like Tajh Boyd.... or by some miracle get Teddy Bridgewater.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better be athletic cause he's gonna be running for his life most of the game. They also have dominating O- lines

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Hopefully this team will end up with 7 wins and will still have a shot at a decent pick in the early to mid First round. How about Sefarian-Jenkins? The TEs on this team make me long for Freddie Jones

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Boyd yet. I get that Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are short and successful but they are more the exception rather than the rule. That being said, if all he is missing is 2 inches in height, Wilson shows that you need to take him.

Good QB year. Watched some Sean Mannion this weekend and he looked pretty good. Not taking sacks, pushing the ball down the field and not throwing picks. Only a Jr. but if he comes out, one more potential option.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Boyd yet. I get that Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are short and successful but they are more the exception rather than the rule. That being said, if all he is missing is 2 inches in height, Wilson shows that you need to take him.

Good QB year. Watched some Sean Mannion this weekend and he looked pretty good. Not taking sacks, pushing the ball down the field and not throwing picks. Only a Jr. but if he comes out, one more potential option.
I'm undecided on Boyd also. I see an awful lot of Troy Smith in him. The thing is, Brees and Wilson were not 1st round QB's. I don't think I take Boyd in round 1 either. Like you mentioned, history says that short Qb's are going to have troubles.

Russell Wilson is still more getting by on his legs than being a downfield passing threat.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

1. Boyd is exceptional.

2. If all you care about is how big your QB is, I hear Skelton is still available. Derek Anderson will probably carry you to a superbowl this time around. That guys enormous.

3. Numbers matter. Leadership and character matter. He has all 3 bunches

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/480221/tajh-boyd

I'm undecided on Boyd also. I see an awful lot of Troy Smith in him. The thing is, Brees and Wilson were not 1st round QB's. I don't think I take Boyd in round 1 either. Like you mentioned, history says that short Qb's are going to have troubles.

Russell Wilson is still more getting by on his legs than being a downfield passing threat.

...Knowing how good they are...you still stick Brees and Wilson out of the 1st round if the draft were today.......

Maybe thats not what you meant, but its EXACTLY what it comes across as. Boyd isnt a 1st rounder either because of his height. Ignore his ability to win football games. His toes to his head is the determining factor here

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I really want the Cards to draft one of these young potential stud QBs early, but something tells me their need for OLB & OL says they won't address it early enough to matter.

My other concern is that BA won't adapt his offense to a athletic QB like the best ones coming out. :bang:

Btw, I'm changing my tune on Johnny Meziel after watching him throw the rock his last 3 games...IF his NFL HC adapts his offense to his skills like Shanny has done to RGIII. His arm is soooo much stronger this year & he really reads coverages better than his Heisman year.

Yes, I like Boyd too.

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
Great analysis. Agree with a lot of what you said. I haven't watched too much of Tahj though. A QB I like a lot is Brett Hundley out of UCLA. He's a RS Junior so he may not come out this year but if he does I really want the Cards to pick him. He's 6'2" 230 lbs, kinda a smaller and less athletic version of Cam Newton. He has great pocket presence and really knows how to scan the field. He does have some flaws of course which are his deep ball accuracy at times and decision-making (rarely). This kid can be a franchise qb and perfect his game under Bruce Arians. It looks like he is going to be most likely a first rounder he does declare for the draft. Potentially top 10 but he has a better chance than Teddy to fall to the Cards thats for sure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1. Boyd is exceptional.

2. If all you care about is how big your QB is, I hear Skelton is still available. Derek Anderson will probably carry you to a superbowl this time around. That guys enormous.

...Knowing how good they are...you still stick Brees and Wilson out of the 1st round if the draft were today.......

Maybe thats not what you meant, but its EXACTLY what it comes across as. Boyd isnt a 1st rounder either because of his height. Ignore his ability to win football games. His toes to his head is the determining factor here

Regarding height, it obviously not all about size, though a similar argument was made regarding Brock Osweiler as he was abnormally tall for a prototypical QB.

From the games I have watched Clemson play over the year, I just haven't been impressed. Normally, Boyd just looked like a QB w/ superior weapons beating up on less talented defenses. I haven't seen a defining win from him nor have I seen him consistently show any advanced QB skills. Now, I have only seen a handful of Clemson games over the past 2 years so I am not setting a definite opinion on him, but so far, I don't see a 1st round QB.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
1. Boyd is exceptional.

Depending on he measures out, I don't think I'd take Boyd in round 1 unless he's 6'2 or taller, which I doubt. Brees is the exception and I'm still not sold on Wilson as a passer. IF I knew Boyd would have the career Brees has had, yes, no doubt, he'd be the #1 overall pick but he could just as easily be the next Troy Smith.

I love the way Boyd throws the ball. He may throw the best ball in college and I like him as a prospect. But, height will be an issue. I've said many times, if Boyd was 6'4-6'5, he'd be the #1 overall pick next year. But, if he's 6'0, well, that's a whole different ball game.

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
My other concern is that BA won't adapt his offense to a athletic QB like the best ones coming out. :bang:
This is a really foolish comment. Offensive Coordinators are only going to draft qbs they know will do well in their system. Sure you could make the argument that Shannahan did but look at what the Redskins are doing now that defenses have figured out the read option. Bruce is going to only draft a qb that can throw the ball well. If he can also run that's fine but it's not like he should make an option package and change his offensive scheme all of a sudden. And also besides Manziel there really aren't many "athletic" qbs coming out. Sure there are guys like Hundley that have athletic ability but there game isn't built off of there athleticism like Manziel.

I really don't see any qbs besides Manziel where Arians would have to change his scheme due to their "athleticism".

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Depending on he measures out, I don't think I'd take Boyd in round 1 unless he's 6'2 or taller, which I doubt.

I love the way Boyd throws the ball. He may throw the best ball in college and I like him as a prospect. But, height will be an issue. I've said many times, if Boyd was 6'4-6'5, he'd be the #1 overall pick next year. But, if he's 6'0, well, that's a whole different ball game.

So he has #1 overall pick talent, and you love everything about his game.

but if he played barefoot, hes not even worth a consideration to be drafted at all. He should work at K Mart.

Thank goodness you are not a QB evaluator in the NFL....wait or are you...Whiz???

And FYI "Because he wouldnt be able to see over the line!" is the weakest argument in the game. Because, newsflash........NFL Olineman come from College. They dont grow 3 feet once they cross that stage to meet Roger. Stupid must be contagious if people believe that crap

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
So he has #1 overall pick talent, and you love everything about his game.

but if he played barefoot, hes not even worth a consideration to be drafted at all. He should work at K Mart.

Thank goodness you are not a QB evaluator in the NFL....wait or are you...Whiz???

And FYI "Because he wouldnt be able to see over the line!" is the weakest argument in the game. Because, newsflash........NFL Olineman come from College. They dont grow 3 feet once they cross that stage to meet Roger. Stupid must be contagious if people believe that crap
Try to comprehend when you read.

I said I wouldn't draft him in round 1.

Also, great point about NFL O-linemen coming from college. I would have never guessesd that. It's not so much seeing over the OL, it's the DL knocking balls down and the ball flight having to be more lofted, thus taking longer to get to WR, thus giving DB's more time to react. But, I'm sure a QB expert like yourself already knew that.

Tell me how many 6'1 and shorter QB's have made it as a passer in the NFL over the last 20 years. There's Drew Brees and.........................Drew Brees.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, great point about NFL O-linemen coming from college. I would have never guessesd that. It's not so much seeing over the OL, it's the DL knocking balls down and the ball flight having to be more lofted, thus taking longer to get to WR, thus giving DB's more time to react. But, I'm sure a QB expert like yourself already knew that.

Tell me how many 6'1 and shorter QB's have made it as a passer in the NFL over the last 20 years. There's Drew Brees and.........................Drew Brees.

Doug Flutie for a couple of years, but other than that, you are spot on. I do enjoy knowing who not to pick when he starts these threads.

OP
OP
Bodha

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I read it just fine

You would not take a franchise QB, with the skillset and talent of a #1 overall pick (your words), in the first round because hes 6'1.

yep still the dumbest thing Ive ever read on this forum

You must be registered for see images attach

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I read it just fine

You would not take a franchise QB, with the skillset and talent of a #1 overall pick (your words), in the first round because hes 6'1.

yep still the dumbest thing Ive ever read on this forum

You must be registered for see images attach

You forgot to answer my question. So how many 6'1 QB's have been succesful in the NFL the last 20 years? How many have been drafted in round 1?

It's pretty obvious you don't understand the draft. You don't draft a 6'1 QB in round 1, at least not near the top of round 1, just like you don't draft a Tavon Austin in round 1, even though he has the skillset of a top pick. It's not that hard to comprehend.

Rob Housler has the skill set to be a top TE, that doesn't mean he is. Skill set and the ability to be succesful are two different things.

You do realize all QB's that look good in college don't translate their game to the NFL for a variety of reasons.

Maybe you remember this guy. He's 6'0 225, won the Heisman Trophy, and had the nearly identical skill set as Taj Boyd, who's listed at 6'1 225. Yet went with 174th pick to Baltimore and is now playing Canada.
Troy Smith
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
who is who?
positives:
Shorter than ideal, but has good body structure with solid muscle definition, good upper body tone in his chest and arms, thick thighs and calves and above average body control, balance and flexibility … Alert playmaker who aligned mostly in shotgun formation, but showed good foot quickness on occasions driving back from center … The pulse of the offense and the unquestioned leader in the huddle, he shows good improvisation skills and the vision to quickly recognize coverages, as he is not the type who will force the ball just to make a play.

Precision-type passer who is more effective in the short-to-intermediate areas, but has the strength to air the ball out with touch and accuracy.
Negatives:
Lacks the ideal height you look for in a pocket quarterback … Better suited for a spread offense … Will sometimes revert to a wind-up delivery, but still has the ability to get the ball off quickly … Best in the short-to-intermediate area, as some of his deep throws will sail even though he has the arm strength needed to fire up field … Seems to be more accurate throwing on the run than in his drops from center.

positives:

Possesses a compact build that makes him potentially better suited to handling big hits than taller, lankier passers. Efficient set-up and despite a slight wind-up the ball jumps out of his hand.

Very good velocity overall, especially on in-breaking routes at the intermediate and deep level. Shows good touch to loft passes over the heads of linebackers and under safeties over the middle.
Good ball placement. Generally hits his receivers in stride or leads them away from the defender. Quick feet, showing good footwork to step into his throws and escape pressure when needed.
Talented runner. More elusive than his frame would indicate, showing lateral agility and surprising burst. Powerful runner who isn't afraid to lower his shoulder for needed yardage. Keeps his legs driving through contact.

negatives:

Shorter than ideal. Most of his passes are relatively easy throws; i.e. screens, in-cutting routes across the middle, etc. Rarely asked to drive the ball from the opposite hash across the field.

Has a bit of a wind-up. Takes the vast majority of his snaps out of the shotgun. Surrounded by playmaking receivers who can turn his short passes into long gains.
Drops his eyes and looks to run too early rather than exhausting his passing options. Needs to improve upon his accuracy on the move.

One is Troy Smith, the other Tajh Boyd.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Just one more tidbit of info on Boyd:

According to the Charleston Post & Courier, Clemson junior QB Tajh Boyd received a late second- to middle of the third-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board upon submitting paperwork for a pro evaluation.

I wonder why that is?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

According to the Charleston Post & Courier, Clemson junior QB Tajh Boyd received a late second- to middle of the third-round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board upon submitting paperwork for a pro evaluation.

I wonder why that is?

QB friendly offense, not great size or athleticism and sloppy footwork/mechanics. This year he has improved a great deal though...

Also, Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley & Manziel are at the same level at 2-3 years younger. More upside.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wonder why that is?

There are other issues besides his height. Does not read defenses well. Locks on. Goes to 1st read. Getting better this year. Let's watch him against a great defense this week in FSU.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Mannion, but he could be the next Oregon St. Derek Anderson. Mike Riley does not have a good record for producing NFL QBs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman