2011 MLS Season

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The game looked pretty even for about the first 30 mins or so. Shame they couldn't even score this year.

Terrible performance, especially in the second half.

I think MLS needs to dump the All Star games.,,not because of the results but because it really is kinda lame.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see teams putting an end to this. European clubs can see this as a huge opportunity to showcase themselves to the US market. They should change the teams now though, they're not cutting it vs United. Maybe a top3 team of a different league every year?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't see teams putting an end to this. European clubs can see this as a huge opportunity to showcase themselves to the US market. They should change the teams now though, they're not cutting it vs United. Maybe a top3 team of a different league every year?

those European teams play the MLS teams not just the All Stars and normally they are more competitive--team chemistry can't be discounted..I just think the all star format just isn't good for soccer, players need to spend more than 1 or 2 practices together to be effective.

You are right though, it isn't going to go away just like the split divisions instead of a single table.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. The MLS all stars have done well against every other team not named Manchester United, and its a fun format. Sure it's still meaningless, but I'd watch the MLS all star game over any other sport's all star game easily.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
NY Red Bulls repping MLS quite well in the Emirates Cup in London. They beat Paris St Germain 1-0 and then tie Arsenal 1-1....that was enough for them to be crowned the tournament champs.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Montreal's logo once they join the MLS next season.

You must be registered for see images

Very classy, most of the MLS teams have now shed their cartoony looks that plagued the earlier years. Tous Pour Gagner translates to "all to win," but we'll see about that.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice logo, crappy name. They should've been something cool, like the Moose or Mastadons.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MLS just inked a 3 year TV deal with NBC Sports. Games will be on NBC Network and the renamed NBC Sports Versus channel starting in 2012. No more Fox Soccer Channel. NBC Sports will have 2 1/2 times the households as FSC.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Juan Pablo Angel traded to Chivas USA
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Galaxy traded Juan Pablo Angel to Chivas USA on Wednesday, clearing a roster spot for newcomer Robbie Keane.

The Galaxy sent Angel across the hallway at Home Depot Center for a third-round pick in next year's supplemental draft.

"Juan Pablo is a great pickup for us because he knows how to score goals and has scored the most goals in the league through the last five years," Chivas USA coach Robin Fraser said in a statement. "Outside of his experience and ability on the field, he's a classy person, and I think that another experienced classy person in our locker room is a positive. It is a win-win when you get a good player and a good person who fits into what we are trying to do."

Los Angeles agreed to terms on Monday with Keane, the Irish national team captain and Tottenham Hotspur striker. Keane will join the Galaxy this week, and he's expected to make his MLS debut Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
MLS needs to scrap the "conferences" and go to a single table. You can still have playoffs but the idea of conferences is more in theory than in reality.

Nobody but MLS can explain why NYRB is playing in the WESTERN conference semi's against the Galaxy. A few seasons back NYRB represented the West in the finals, last season it was 2 Western Conference teams in the final. Just go single table and take the top 8-10 teams and be done with the conference crap.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MLS needs to scrap the "conferences" and go to a single table. You can still have playoffs but the idea of conferences is more in theory than in reality.

Nobody but MLS can explain why NYRB is playing in the WESTERN conference semi's against the Galaxy. A few seasons back NYRB represented the West in the finals, last season it was 2 Western Conference teams in the final. Just go single table and take the top 8-10 teams and be done with the conference crap.

+1

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think the Supporter's Shield winner should host MLS Cup and change the name of the playoffs to the MLS Cup Tournament with the tournament winner playing the Supporter's Shield winner in the MLS Cup Final. It would add value to the shield and would allow the host time to sell out the game (main reason for neutral site even though they won't say it). Any team in MLS if given a 3 week time frame could sell out MLS Cup and the atmosphere would be intense. Get rid of the conferences at that point and call it the MLS Cup Tournament. The winner of the tournament would get Garber's "moment" that he craves with the conference final. Just my two cents.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did anyone watch either of the playoff games yesterday? I didn't see the Dynamo game but watched the Galaxy game.

The Galaxy are a pretty entertaining team and it was good to see them win...can't stand Houston so I hope they win it all.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Galaxy owned it last night. Great game by all 3 DPs. Keane was lethal. I have my tickets and can't wait to see the final in two weeks!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch either of the playoff games yesterday? I didn't see the Dynamo game but watched the Galaxy game.

The Galaxy are a pretty entertaining team and it was good to see them win...can't stand Houston so I hope they win it all.

I watched the Galaxy game. It felt like both teams left a lot of chances on the pitch.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just attended my 2nd MLS Cup. Awesome experience. Galaxy are awesome.What a season. So happy to be there live.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The game was very flat. Keane probably should have scored twice.

Hope to see Beckham/Donovan back with LA next year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No other place to put this I suppose.... It looks like Didier Drogba is interested in moving to the Galaxy next year. That would be a great backup if Beckham doesn't resign. I think LA is missing a true striker and Keane isn't it.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No other place to put this I suppose.... It looks like Didier Drogba is interested in moving to the Galaxy next year. That would be a great backup if Beckham doesn't resign. I think LA is missing a true striker and Keane isn't it.

Disagree STRONGLY about Keane.

He is probably the best striker in MLS. Scored again yesterday and constantly gives the defense fits stretching their limits and opening up the game. He was the man of the match vs RSL in the playoffs and should have been the MVP of MLS Cup. 10th all-time scorer in EPL history, #1 all-time for Ireland, and #45 all-time internationally. Robbie Keane is the #1 reason why Beckham or Donovan can probably leave and LA should still be favored to win MLS Cup in 2012.

Look at this goal at 40 seconds from yesterday. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgk3aCl_Ag

This one vs RSL....SICK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7941yX7MY&feature=related

vs Morelia.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Tw-evd3yE

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree STRONGLY about Keane.

He is probably the best striker in MLS. Scored again yesterday and constantly gives the defense fits stretching their limits and opening up the game. He was the man of the match vs RSL in the playoffs and should have been the MVP of MLS Cup. 10th all-time scorer in EPL history, #1 all-time for Ireland, and #45 all-time internationally. Robbie Keane is the #1 reason why Beckham or Donovan can probably leave and LA should still be favored to win MLS Cup in 2012.

Look at this goal at 40 seconds from yesterday. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgk3aCl_Ag

This one vs RSL....SICK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7941yX7MY&feature=related

vs Morelia.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Tw-evd3yE

The first goal vs Indonesia was just bleh. The pass was better than the shot IMO.

Even if we disagree about Keane, a frontline of Keane and Drogba would be awesome.