2011 MLS Season

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Galaxy beat Seattle 1-0 in the first game of the season.

After watching European soccer for the past 6 months, it is so difficult to watch MLS. Inferior in every way. Even Serie A is light years better than the MLS. Galaxy are my team, but I wonder now is if it's a fundamental philosophy problem with all MLS coaches. The league has enough foreignors now that the "American players aren't brought up right" excuse should be moot. It's quite fascinating how ugly the MLS style of play is. And I don't mean ugly like thuggish (like the EPL), but ugly in that there are giveaway after giveaway, bad first touches, headers back and forth and extremely poor clearances. The only thing that seems to be on par with the rest of the world is the goalkeeping.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After watching European soccer for the past 6 months, it is so difficult to watch MLS. Inferior in every way. Even Serie A is light years better than the MLS. Galaxy are my team, but I wonder now is if it's a fundamental philosophy problem with all MLS coaches. The league has enough foreignors now that the "American players aren't brought up right" excuse should be moot. It's quite fascinating how ugly the MLS style of play is. And I don't mean ugly like thuggish (like the EPL), but ugly in that there are giveaway after giveaway, bad first touches, headers back and forth and extremely poor clearances. The only thing that seems to be on par with the rest of the world is the goalkeeping.

I just watched the Galaxy game...

I agree with you with the style of play. MLS (and even USMNT as well) philosophy seems to be kick the long ball, try to win challenges, rather than working on first touches and crisp passing. I watched a Barcelona game over the weekend on ESPN3 and the difference is astounding. Crisp passing, dominating possession, good play on set pieces, etc.

Barcelona is so deep that David Villa is a sub...... wow.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for seeing the light. Finally.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for seeing the light. Finally.

Recommend me a team...

The more games I can watch online, delayed all the better. ESPN3 is perfect for that.

I wanted to follow David Villa so I watched a couple Barcelona games. I'm such a noob that I didn't even realize that Messi played for them.

:thud:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recommend me a team...

The more games I can watch online, delayed all the better. ESPN3 is perfect for that.

I wanted to follow David Villa so I watched a couple Barcelona games. I'm such a noob that I didn't even realize that Messi played for them.

:thud:
They are awesome. How often are games on ESPN3? I need to start taping them. I am kinda out of touch since I don't have GOL and FSN anymore. I should get rid of Sunday Ticket and get those now, me thinks.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They are awesome. How often are games on ESPN3? I need to start taping them. I am kinda out of touch since I don't have GOL and FSN anymore. I should get rid of Sunday Ticket and get those now, me thinks.

Most if not all Barca games are on ESPN3, but they are shown fairly regularly on GOLTV.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I doubt MLS will ever be on par with the major European Leagues. The best we can hope for is they are on par with the Scandinavian leagues eventually.

In other MLS news...
Wide receiver Chad Ochocinco is using the NFL lockout to see if he can play for Major League Soccer side Kansas City.

Never short on publicity-grabbing ideas, the Cincinnati Bengals player was set for a four-day trial starting on Tuesday.

The club said on Wednesday that after the tryout, it will determine whether to extend the trial.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2011-03-16-1162331034_x.htm

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It drives me crazy when I hear people comparing the MLS to Euro leagues. What is the point? It seems too many US fans expect things to happen far too quickly. You need to give it years before a comparison should even be made and even then you shouldn't compare it to the top 4/5 leagues in Europe. These things take time. The NASL tried to rush things and look what happened there.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought you were saying you liked watching the MLS prior to watching Euro soccer for the past 6 months.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the expanding developmental programs in the U.S., I would expect the next generation that comes of age to be a step up. As long as the commitment remains strong at the youth levels -- especially ORGANIZED commitment -- I think the product will improve, but it may take 20 years before we see substantial improvement.

I think anyone who followed US soccer pre-1990 can say the product has improved 10 fold since then, and this past decade still has been maybe a hair better than the 1990s. I mean, the U.S. sort of owns it's weak part of the world, and it wasn't even that when I was a kid.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It drives me crazy when I hear people comparing the MLS to Euro leagues. What is the point? It seems too many US fans expect things to happen far too quickly. You need to give it years before a comparison should even be made and even then you shouldn't compare it to the top 4/5 leagues in Europe. These things take time. The NASL tried to rush things and look what happened there.

You can't generalize the type of league and compare it like that. We're talking about basic, fundamental soccer plays. It doesn't matter if you play in England, Germany or Los Angeles, you should be able to not give away passes and head the ball to the other team 90% of the time.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You can't generalize the type of league and compare it like that. We're talking about basic, fundamental soccer plays. It doesn't matter if you play in England, Germany or Los Angeles, you should be able to not give away passes and head the ball to the other team 90% of the time.

I want to like MLS, but it's just so bad. It's very difficult to enjoy minor league competition, especially when the major league stuff is so much better.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to agree. Defenders are so lax and the passing is really bad. It's very hard to watch -- like minor league baseball where pitchers can't throw strikes. The difference is you know someday a lot of those minor league baseball guys will find their range and make it to the show. The guys in the MLS ... vast majority are as good as they're ever going to get. You don't even get the thrill of thinking you might be watching a future star

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have to agree. Defenders are so lax and the passing is really bad. It's very hard to watch -- like minor league baseball where pitchers can't throw strikes. The difference is you know someday a lot of those minor league baseball guys will find their range and make it to the show. The guys in the MLS ... vast majority are as good as they're ever going to get. You don't even get the thrill of thinking you might be watching a future star

To be honest I think MLS defends pretty well as a league, it's the attack that suffers, there is a lack of creativity in the midfield and very little of that killer instinct up front.

A lot of the US National team stars started in MLS...Howard, Bocanegra, Bradley, Edu, Dempsey & Holden all earned their keep in MLS before moving on to having success overseas. I watch MLS for the very reason you mentioned...I like seeing guys who have a chance to grow and become better players and contribute to the National team (which is WAY more important to me than any club/league etc).

MLS is improving it is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was 10 years ago...I think they expanded too much too quickly and it has watered down the talent BUT it is getting better.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I think MLS defends pretty well as a league, it's the attack that suffers, there is a lack of creativity in the midfield and very little of that killer instinct up front.

A lot of the US National team stars started in MLS...Howard, Bocanegra, Bradley, Edu, Dempsey & Holden all earned their keep in MLS before moving on to having success overseas. I watch MLS for the very reason you mentioned...I like seeing guys who have a chance to grow and become better players and contribute to the National team (which is WAY more important to me than any club/league etc).

MLS is improving it is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was 10 years ago...I think they expanded too much too quickly and it has watered down the talent BUT it is getting better.

Do you agree there's a unique American style to defense? Americans seem to go for the big tackle and whiff or rack up a lot of penalties. European style seems to be more of a fundamental thing, they'll give space and ride a defender, but they won't give the inside angle. Also, European defenders are more likely to clear their lanes with a pass than some awkward kick out of bounds. I could be wrong, but that's my observation. It's why I think in Europe the crossing game is so developed because you don't see a lot of breakaways.

I do think defense has been the strength of the U.S. national team, but I don't see the same discipline in the MLS.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Do you agree there's a unique American style to defense? Americans seem to go for the big tackle and whiff or rack up a lot of penalties. European style seems to be more of a fundamental thing, they'll give space and ride a defender, but they won't give the inside angle. Also, European defenders are more likely to clear their lanes with a pass than some awkward kick out of bounds. I could be wrong, but that's my observation. It's why I think in Europe the crossing game is so developed because you don't see a lot of breakaways.

I do think defense has been the strength of the U.S. national team, but I don't see the same discipline in the MLS.

Not really, the best American defenders in MLS are far from hacks...Marshall, Pearce, Gonzalez, Borchers to name some of the top (American) ones in recent years. All play the ball well in the air and defend well on the ground, most aren't a great threat on the counter (which is where the Euros are far superior in comparison to our defenders)...the MLS defenders rarely push up too far on the field and get caught on the counter because their strength is rarely ever speed (the exception being Wynne but he lacks ball skills)...that is one reason why you see so few breakaway goals in MLS. A lot of the European players who do end up coming here comment on the physical defending but you also often hear criticism about lack of creativity and speed of thought.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The simple fact of the matter is that if we had a better striker corps, our team would be completely different. And a lot better.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The simple fact of the matter is that if we had a better striker corps, our team would be completely different. And a lot better.

Just wait, in another 10-30 years, the US will have developed competent strikers.

;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most if not all Barca games are on ESPN3, but they are shown fairly regularly on GOLTV.

only 1 of the past 5 were on ESPN3. (that I checked)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I bid for and got Charlie Davies' DC United jersey autographed from this past weekend. United for DC, the official charity of the team auctions off the Man of the Match jersey for charity every week, I got this weeks (had to pay big $$ for it too but its for charity so I am OK with it). I am decorating my "man cave" and now have that jersey & a US jersey signed by the entire 2010 WC roster (all players & Bob Bradley)...now I have 2 jerseys left to buy--D-Backs (thinking Schilling or Gonzalez '01 jersey) & Cardinals (Fitz or Warner) and that will be done.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bid for and got Charlie Davies' DC United jersey autographed from this past weekend. United for DC, the official charity of the team auctions off the Man of the Match jersey for charity every week, I got this weeks (had to pay big $$ for it too but its for charity so I am OK with it). I am decorating my "man cave" and now have that jersey & a US jersey signed by the entire 2010 WC roster (all players & Bob Bradley)...now I have 2 jerseys left to buy--D-Backs (thinking Schilling or Gonzalez '01 jersey) & Cardinals (Fitz or Warner) and that will be done.
:shock: Awesome

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

+1. I honestly think it makes some folks feel cool to knock MLS, makes em feel like soccer aficionados. The league is what it is. Is it EPL? No. Is is unwatchable? Hell no. It is exciting soccer and the league is literally the backbone of the US MNT. If you don't think so, look where US Soccer was before MLS and hell ask Charlie Davies about what MLS means.

I love watching the Galaxy. I attend at least 5-10 games a year. I will take the experience in person, with a league in my backyard that supports the US MNT over watching ESPN3. Any you know what, you CAN do both AND appreciate both. I saw LA play Barca and Messi two years ago at the Rose Bowl and it was amazing, but it was 100 times better because the Galaxy are my team.

I spent last Sunday in 50 degree weather in the rain at the HDC watching the Galaxy with my family, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I love MLS. It is my favorite sports league. There is a purity about it that you don't get with the majors. If during my lifetime it isn't the best in the world so be it, I will be along for the ride and enjoy every minute of it because I love the game, I love the US team, and I appreciate the growth and the soccer movement in this country.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
+1. I honestly think it makes some folks feel cool to knock MLS, makes em feel like soccer aficionados. The league is what it is. Is it EPL? No. Is is unwatchable? Hell no. It is exciting soccer and the league is literally the backbone of the US MNT. If you don't think so, look where US Soccer was before MLS and hell ask Charlie Davies about what MLS means.

I love watching the Galaxy. I attend at least 5-10 games a year. I will take the experience in person, with a league in my backyard that supports the US MNT over watching ESPN3. Any you know what, you CAN do both AND appreciate both. I saw LA play Barca and Messi two years ago at the Rose Bowl and it was amazing, but it was 100 times better because the Galaxy are my team.

I spent last Sunday in 50 degree weather in the rain at the HDC watching the Galaxy with my family, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. I love MLS. It is my favorite sports league. There is a purity about it that you don't get with the majors. If during my lifetime it isn't the best in the world so be it, I will be along for the ride and enjoy every minute of it because I love the game, I love the US team, and I appreciate the growth and the soccer movement in this country.

I think you guys are taking things personally, and I'm not sure why.

We all seem to agree that MLS is an inferior style to the other European leagues, and I still think my opinion that it's tough to be used to European soccer for 6 months and then see MLS. I still love the Galaxy, but the fact is that the skill level is low. Very unfortunate, but it is what it is. The hope is that it will improve. This isn't some insult to you guys that like MLS.