Panda Express

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In the Bronx right? I went to a Ferraro's in the Little Italy in Manhattan that had stale canolli

Yup... Like so many other places in Little Italy, Ferraro's was once awesome, and now is average at best...
The one in the Bronx can't be beat!

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I'll throw out my snobbery.....seafood on the West Coast makes the East Coast look like a bunch of idiots who couldn't cook a fish to save their lives.

Except for lobster.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw out my snobbery.....seafood on the West Coast makes the East Coast look like a bunch of idiots who couldn't cook a fish to save their lives.

Except for lobster.
Cape Cod. You are wrong.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
that also depends on location - the NE has great lobster - the midatlantic has fantasic crab and the SE down through FL has very good fish

also some places in the NE have tremendous fresh lake and brook fish

some of the best salmon and halibut i've ever had in my life has been in seattle - in fact that's where I gained my love for halibut - however, i haven't had a really good trout since i've left the NE and the grouper at the Ocean Club although good wasn't close to what I had in FL

and I had some decent catfish back home, but nothing compares to some good southern catfish and hot sauce

so much of this is regional

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that also depends on location - the NE has great lobster - the midatlantic has fantasic crab and the SE down through FL has very good fish

also some places in the NE have tremendous fresh lake and brook fish

some of the best salmon and halibut i've ever had in my life has been in seattle - in fact that's where I gained my love for halibut - however, i haven't had a really good trout since i've left the NE and the grouper at the Ocean Club although good wasn't close to what I had in FL

and I had some decent catfish back home, but nothing compares to some good southern catfish and hot sauce

so much of this is regional

Very true. Pacific NW has seriously good seafood. But it is all regional.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Very true. Pacific NW has seriously good seafood. And it puts all other regions to shame.

FTFY. :p

I agree with East coast seafood being good, but I've never had better shellfish, crabs, or Fish in general than I had last time I took a Seattle/ Alaska trip.

Lobster is still better on the east coast though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would eat at a Panda before McD's or Chipotle though.

Hell no. You know how I feel about Chipotle, and Mickey D's delivers in Chicago. :) I remember eating a Big Mac in boot camp when I was in Great Lakes. It was a slice of heaven at the time.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
depends on the types of crab - some of the soft shells and blue crab are very good in the midatlantic - however, it's a different type and tase than say king crab legs

i think for total variety & consistency it's hard to beat seattle - they have shellfish of all varieties and then a good variety of taste of other fish

i haven't done alaska yet - from friends I heard it was really good, but surprisingly expensive

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Back to the topic, Panda Express is good, but you cant compare it to Restauraunt Food, it's a Fast Food place. It's like comparing Subway, to a restaurant.

I heard East Coast food is alot better from other people, I was surprised when I stayed in San Antonio for awhile how good the BBQ and food Joints around there where. East Coast food is better because it's not filled with tons of fast food places, Like it is all over AZ and cali.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i can agree with devon on this as well - specific to chinese food there is a different between a chinese restaurant and a takeout place (different type of menu, usually like 6 booths and a counter - type of place you can order by #)

a place like panda tries to imitate takeout more than it does a full restaurant - but the takeout back east is so good that it's tough to compare

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Back to the topic, Panda Express is good, but you cant compare it to Restauraunt Food, it's a Fast Food place. It's like comparing Subway, to a restaurant.

I heard East Coast food is alot better from other people, I was surprised when I stayed in San Antonio for awhile how good the BBQ and food Joints around there where. East Coast food is better because it's not filled with tons of fast food places, Like it is all over AZ and cali.

Actually you can because it's chinese food and lunch at a chinese resturant is about the same price as lunch at Panda express.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can agree with devon on this as well - specific to chinese food there is a different between a chinese restaurant and a takeout place (different type of menu, usually like 6 booths and a counter - type of place you can order by #)

a place like panda tries to imitate takeout more than it does a full restaurant - but the takeout back east is so good that it's tough to compare

You can compare Panda to a Chinese takeout place. Same price, its pretty close to fast food as well.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I'm bumping this because now that Panda Express sells their sauces at Wal-Mart (my nearest store) I have been making some of their dishes at my house.

Good stuff. They have the recipes on their website and so far the kung pao, orange chicken, and mandarin chicken have all been great.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I'll have Panda about once a month, when I'm in the mood to eat something unhealthy and be full for a day.

Their food is not amazing by any means. But put a double orange chicken with brown rice & noodles in front of me and I'll eat it every time.

In our house we like to call eating panda "sloppin' it up." There's something gross about their food, yet it tastes pretty good. :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
price & speed yes - taste is not even close

I wish that were true. Out here in Gilbert I've yet to find a decent "little takeout place" there are a couple in strip malls and they are inedible.

Thats the biggest bummer about Panda and Pei Wei, seems like since they came along all the take out joints in the EV died. (Sukiyaki Express how I miss you and your tasty General Tsao's chicken!)

If anyone knows of any in the Gilbert/Mesa area please let me know!

I'll eat Panda, it's not terrible, it's not great, like most fast food. Its a nice change when I dont feel like cooking or going to a burger joint (which I shouldn't do at all)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i've yet to have a single passable general out here ....... tried one 2 weekends ago from a place in the SWV that gets good reviews and it was probably one of the blandest things I ever tasted

sadly, since I posted my original blast on the taste of Panda - i've almost become resigned to eating it whenever I get a takeout craving

still pretty much sucks though

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I loved Chen Wok when I lived on the west side. Haven't really found a great place now that I live in Chandler which is crazy considering I live down the street from Lee Lee's market.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Chen Wok when I lived on the west side. Haven't really found a great place now that I live in Chandler which is crazy considering I live down the street from Lee Lee's market.

Have you tried Dragon Wok in Gilbert?