HD TV Display

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok it looks like I have to go with the Direct TV DVR.

The next question is which TV or rather what are the issues that control the choice other than price.

Looking for around a 40" LCD, 1080p [I would think]. Then it gets fuzzier.

What interface standards are there ? Been hearing about HDMI ?

I'm assuming I'll need a new Home Theater system to switch HD signals, So I need to know what it will need to switch. As I understand it HDMI would reduce my cable count significantly. Not sure if it is fully rolled out yet ?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HDMI is definitely the industry standard. Version 1.3 came out last year, and it should be in new TV's soon. Any particular reason why you are going with a 40" LCD?

You don't necessarily need a new home theatre system to switch HD signals. Most new TV's have at least 2 HDMI outputs, maybe more. If you want surround sound to go with the TV package then you would. You will have to get one of the newest HDMI receivers, so you won't have the audio pass-through. You will just get video switching. I just purchased one, and I couldn't be more happy with it.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE LOVE my Samsung 40" LNT4061. Phenomenal picture. I watched the sales for a couple weeks, and nailed it at about $600 off the going rate (and $350 less than the usual 'sale' prices).

I overheard a sales mgr training a new clerk at Best Buy, saying under his breath that only Sony and Samsung were REALLY top of the line quality and durability-wise, and Sony charges extra for the name, although I had already made up my mind. I asked a couple people about the size/picture piece, and was told that above about 46" there IS a very slight degradation of quality (more noticeable I think they said when watching non-HD).

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
HDMI cables are the way to go. They are all digital so you don't need to spend big bucks on high end cables.

Don't buy your cables from one of the chain stores (BestBuy, Circuit City). They only carry High end HDMI cables that will cost you over $70 for a 6' cable.

I found some nice Belkin PureAV HDMI cables on Amazon for under $30. That includes free shipping. Even those cables might be overkill.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196722792&sr=8-1

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HDMI cables are the way to go. They are all digital so you don't need to spend big bucks on high end cables.

Don't buy your cables from one of the chain stores (BestBuy, Circuit City). They only carry High end HDMI cables that will cost you over $70 for a 6' cable.

I found some nice Belkin PureAV HDMI cables on Amazon for under $30. That includes free shipping. Even those cables might be overkill.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-PureAV...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1196722792&sr=8-1

They are overkill.

Monoprice.com everyday and twice on Sunday.

6 foot cables are $4.79.

Don't ever buy any cables from any other place than monoprice.com They have super fast shipping too. 2-3 days max before you receive your cables.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get most of my electronics from Newegg

I wasn't sure if HDMI was fully baked yet

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the Samsung units look pretty good.

What about Home Theater units ? I have a decent on now, I particularly love the dynamic adjustment features. It has a 'reference' mic that I place in a defined location and it will rebalance the system for the room I am in.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok the Samsung units look pretty good.

What about Home Theater units ? I have a decent on now, I particularly love the dynamic adjustment features. It has a 'reference' mic that I place in a defined location and it will rebalance the system for the room I am in.

Depends on what you want out of it, and your budget really.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current one is in the 400-500 range iirc

If you are looking in that price range, the Onkyo home theatre in a box are a great value.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's wondering if he needs to replace his current one, or just keep what he has.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's wondering if he needs to replace his current one, or just keep what he has.

Depends on what he has, and what he is trying to accomplish.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current one is great but it won't switch HDMI

I would have to use component video connections and I will have initially 2[or 3] sources DVR and DVD and I've heard rumors that you need an antenna to get some local channels .

Sooner or later once they get their collective heads out of butts will have HI rez DVD but would be nuts to buy player and dvds rigth now.

So for now I'll need to switch from CV to HDMI

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current one is great but it won't switch HDMI

I would have to use component video connections and I will have initially 2[or 3] sources DVR and DVD and I've heard rumors that you need an antenna to get some local channels .

Sooner or later once they get their collective heads out of butts will have HI rez DVD but would be nuts to buy player and dvds rigth now.

So for now I'll need to switch from CV to HDMI

Well, if you want one to do audio, and video HDMI switching, you will definitely need to upgrade. The Onkyo 605 receiver is probably the cheapest way to get everything that you need, plus future security for HD sound. I have seen them as cheap as about $369 at Circuit City. However, that only has 2 HDMI inputs, you could get an HDMI switcher if you have a ton of HDMI devices.

Depending on your current speakers, this may work for you.

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just purchased a 40" Sony Bravia XBR4 LCD. it rocks.

next up - probably looking to add the Panasonic DMP-BD30K blu-ray player.

i'm going blu soon. :)

shawn

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turns out I may be able to get a deal on a

Sony® 46" BRAVIA® E Series 3LCD Rear Projection HDTV

How does that look ?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just purchased a 40" Sony Bravia XBR4 LCD. it rocks.

next up - probably looking to add the Panasonic DMP-BD30K blu-ray player.

i'm going blu soon. :)

shawn

Turns out I may be able to get a deal on a

Sony® 46" BRAVIA® E Series 3LCD Rear Projection HDTV

How does that look ?

Congrats on both of your purchases. There is a reason that Sony has a 55%+ market share on big screen TVs.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not got mine yet still considering but looks like a reasonable deal

What is rea projection ?

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have known.

The 'rear projection' is the key word. oh well keep on looking. That word cuts price in half, can't be a good thing

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bunch of looking today.

Yep the Sony models are good. What I found is the devil is in the details on the Sony [and everybody else].

Just saying its a Bravia tells you nothing, you need to know model numbers and look at contrast ratios [and refresh].

fwiw: We looked at a number of 120hz refresh rate TVs as well. IMO there was zero difference in fast motion [a comment I've seen in several reviews] and the overall display/contrast/color was not as good

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bunch of looking today.

Yep the Sony models are good. What I found is the devil is in the details on the Sony [and everybody else].

Just saying its a Bravia tells you nothing, you need to know model numbers and look at contrast ratios [and refresh].

fwiw: We looked at a number of 120hz refresh rate TVs as well. IMO there was zero difference in fast motion [a comment I've seen in several reviews] and the overall display/contrast/color was not as good

probably does not make a difference in normal tv watching - but in movie watching the higher refresh rate most likely will. especially when you are able to watch a movie at 1080p/24fps @ 120hz refresh rate. the picture will be much cleaner and crisper.

shawn

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was watching snowboarder

maybe take a favorite movie into the store with you - one that you are familiar with and have the sales person play them on different tv's so you can get a feel for what looks the best to you. just an idea.

shawn

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz