Yes, another trade thread...but its only hypothetical!

In the offseason: Marion for Carter and Peterson?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Horrible, Horrible trade.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Im playing NBA2k3 right now and right before the trade deadline ended the Raptors offered me a trade. Im so tempted to do this one, but Im bent on playing it as realistically as possible. (Im in my second season btw. So it would be considered the middle of next season.)

Toront offered:
Vince Carter
Morris Peterson

Toronto wants:
Shawn Marion

Now, Vince is signed for 5 years at less money than marion. He is putting up 26ppg, 6rpg, 3apg. Peterson is in his last year and is CHEAP. Problem is, is that resigning him will be hard at the end of the year since his contract will probably explode. His numbers are: 14ppg, 7rpg, 2apg.

Marion is averaging 23ppg, 10rpg, 4apg and is locked in for 5 more years at a higher salary than Carter. Im so tempted to accept this. My whole rotation will be screwed beyond belief after the all-star break but its almost worth it. (Team is sitting at 26-22, and I play about 85% of the games myself.)

Anyways, my hypothetical question. Lets say this trade is offered in the offseason. Would you do this trade in real life? Take in consideration Carter's injury. (which the game even takes into consideration. Carter's durability is much lower than Marion.)

I'd be hard pressed to turn this deal down. Carter plays his ass off and Peterson is up and coming. The problem lies with trying to resign Peterson after next season. But you would have a full season with Marbury, Carter, Amare, and Peterson. Thats a hell of a team right there.

Well, back to NBA2k3...err..my homework...err..... ;)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't know how "realistic" you want to be, but this trade doesn't work under the CBA because of Marion's contract status (BYC1 in the middle of next season).

Even so, there's absolutely no way I would do the trade if I were Phoenix. Haven't they learned their mistake with Hardaway? Don't shell out megabucks for players who are always injured. Just don't do it.

And besides, even when Carter is healthy, he does not rebound or defend nearly as well as Marion. For that matter, he isn't even that much more aggressive on offense.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
BYC1 in the middle of next season).

Only one remark.
The BYC1 or BYC2 exists no longere if we are talking about players who signed their contracts after 1st July 2001.
There is only BYC status.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would not do the trade simply because Carter is always injured, and he wants to be "the man" which is going to create a problem with Marbury and Stoudemire in a couple of years.

I would try to trade Marion some place else.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Only one remark.
The BYC1 or BYC2 exists no longere if we are talking about players who signed their contracts after 1st July 2001.

It sounds like perhaps I did not know this. What do you mean? There is no longer the 150% or 125% salary calculation when trading BYC players? What is "BYC status"?

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Only one remark.

It sounds like perhaps I did not know this. What do you mean? There is no longer the 150% or 125% salary calculation when trading BYC players? What is "BYC status"?
I just wanted to say that a player remains a base year player for one year if the contract is signed on or after July 1, 2001.

I don't understand what do you mean under 150 or 125% salary calculation.150% and 125% was never used at trades.

Small example from Larry Coon's FAQ about using BYC value at trades:

"When comparing salaries for trade, teams use their own player's BYC value and the other player's full salary, even if the other player is also BYC. Here is a simple example -- two $5 million players, both of whom are re-signed (by teams over the cap) for $10 million. Both players become base year players whose base year amount is $5 million (50% of the new salary). If the teams want to trade these players for each other they compare their player's base year amount to the other player's full salary. So each team can take back a maximum of 115% plus $100,000 of their player's $5 million base year amount, or $5.85 million. They compare $5.85 million to the other player's full $10 million. $10 million is way too high, so this trade can't be done, even though the players' actual salaries match exactly."

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would have to say no to the trade. Becouse Mo will take playing time from JJ and you will have way to many SG on your team. If you still have everyone else. Marion is just to good in the game. Does he hit 3's for you too. He is not the best but if he is open he will drain them for me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't understand what do you mean under 150 or 125% salary calculation.150% and 125% was never used at trades.

Sorry, I had it the wrong way. 50% and 75%.

It remains almost impossible to trade BYC players, because the numbers will never line up. The same player's salary counts as two different amounts for the two teams, just as explained in the FAQ.