We are drafting Marcus Trufant

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
There it is. We can all get on with our lives.

Graves has done everything but step up to the podium with a fresh new Marcus Trufant jersey.

You want college production? You got it. Trufant has not allowed a touch down reception in over two years. Against the likes of Walter, Boller, Gesser, Palmer and the rest of the pass happy Pac-10.

Too small? He held 6'7" Teyo Johnson to 37 yards recieving.

Why a corner?

As a punt returner, he'll get us much better field position than water bug could (I liked Jackson. I always admired his reluctance to wave that arm).

We have our QB of the future in Josh McCown (granted, this is a complete and utter joke. McCown vs Leftwich is like '86 Tyson vs Andy Dick). Forward.

We have our pass rusher of the future in Dennis Johnson (a little more at ease here. DJ, given the chance to actually rush the passer from game one on... we'll see some value out of this third rounder. DJ vs Suggs, I'll take my chances on DJ for the money).

We have 46 freshly signed defensive tackles on our roster.

We are one corner back away from having a solid defensive backfield. Starks, Barrett, Trufant, Wilson, Jackson. Yeah baby.

The reason Philly's defense is so effective is because they can afford to blitz early and often because their backfield can hold it's own (Jacksonville's thinking that Hugh Douglass will magically whip their sack total into shape just makes me chuckle).
We have the personnel at OLB, and now CB and safety, to generate all the pass rush we need this coming season.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check my last mock, dude.

I couldn't agree more. If Suggs is there it's quite a tossup though.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
If we go defensive, I think your right.

I would try to get Faine at #37. If not, I would shoot for Redding.
Well, today at least.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I really think there are some VERY good second round corners in this draft. Trufant is great, but unless Graves thinks our existing DL is satisfactory, this would be a risky pick. Very slim chances of finding an impact DL in the second, but there are a couple of impact possibilities at corner in the second.

All things being equal, do you two think Trufant is that much better than Robertson?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
There it is. We can all get on with our lives.

Graves has done everything but step up to the podium with a fresh new Marcus Trufant jersey.

You want college production? You got it. Trufant has not allowed a touch down reception in over two years. Against the likes of Walter, Boller, Gesser, Palmer and the rest of the pass happy Pac-10.

Too small? He held 6'7" Teyo Johnson to 37 yards recieving.

Why a corner?

As a punt returner, he'll get us much better field position than water bug could (I liked Jackson. I always admired his reluctance to wave that arm).

We have our QB of the future in Josh McCown (granted, this is a complete and utter joke. McCown vs Leftwich is like '86 Tyson vs Andy Dick). Forward.

We have our pass rusher of the future in Dennis Johnson (a little more at ease here. DJ, given the chance to actually rush the passer from game one on... we'll see some value out of this third rounder. DJ vs Suggs, I'll take my chances on DJ for the money).

We have 46 freshly signed defensive tackles on our roster.

We are one corner back away from having a solid defensive backfield. Starks, Barrett, Trufant, Wilson, Jackson. Yeah baby.

The reason Philly's defense is so effective is because they can afford to blitz early and often because their backfield can hold it's own (Jacksonville's thinking that Hugh Douglass will magically whip their sack total into shape just makes me chuckle).
We have the personnel at OLB, and now CB and safety, to generate all the pass rush we need this coming season.

Thats a pretty bold statement considering all I have heard form Cardinals camp is how they need to address the pass rush, and how this team was dead last in the NFL in sacks.

I wouldnt mind the pick soo much as long as Leftwich is not there. Trufant is solid, albeit a little small for my liking, but hey-he has proven himself as a solid cover guy in college. (Although the refernce to Teyo Johnson is poor-Hell I could cover him-Joke!)

However, having said that, I would rather have Leftwich and Suggs prior to Trufant. I think there impact on the team will be a much greater one in years to come. Sure Trufant is solid, but I think with his size he will never be the shut down guy everyone thinks he will be. There are just too many tall rangy wr's in the NFL.

Not a bad pick if Leftwich and Suggs are gone, and definatly woudl rather have him over Kennedy or Robertson at this point. .

Last edited:
OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
All things being equal, do you two think Trufant is that much better than Robertson?

Not really. I think Robertson is the best defensive player in the draft, but I expect him to be gone by #6.

Trufant is based on what I think will happen.

Personally, if Lefty was there I'd take him in a heart beat, but I don't get paid the big bucks...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Not really. I think Robertson is the best defensive player in the draft, but I expect him to be gone by #6.

Trufant is based on what I think will happen.

Personally, if Lefty was there I'd take him in a heart beat, but I don't get paid the big bucks...

If they pass on either Suggs or Leftwich, or both, and draft Trufant without trading down they will get hammered and rightfully so. Not that draft grades, or bad press, seem to mean anything to the Cardinals. But that sure would be a gutsy pick to say the least.

But, as I posted yesterday, that scenario is possible. Someone really wanted Buchanon last year, but we too Bryant. If that someone was Graves, Trufant might happen. Plus, that would be a beancounter type of pick. Fill two needs with one pick, more bang for the buck. Seems like something Bidwill would like.

OP
OP
SECTION 11

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Someone really wanted Buchanon last year, but we too Bryant. If that someone was Graves, Trufant might happen.

I forgot about that. That's a great point.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm picturing a very vivid power struggle right now between Graves ("best available athlete", meaning Trufant or Newman) and McGinnis (Suggs, Kevin Williams, or some other form of pass rush).

But the more I read in the paper out of their mouths, it might not be that exciting....it's starting to sound like everyone's on the Suggs boat to at least some extent.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
I'm picturing a very vivid power struggle right now between Graves ("best available athlete", meaning Trufant or Newman) and McGinnis (Suggs, Kevin Williams, or some other form of pass rush).

But the more I read in the paper out of their mouths, it might not be that exciting....it's starting to sound like everyone's on the Suggs boat to at least some extent.

A case could be made that Suggs is a better athelete that anyone you mentioned. While I hope we get Suggs, Trufant would actually be my second choice. I like him better than Newman. IMO, he is a better cover guy and the only reason Newman is rated higher is because he can return punts and kicks at a higher level.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: We are drafting Marcus Trufant

Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
Thats a pretty bold statement considering all I have heard form Cardinals camp is how they need to address the pass rush, and how this team was dead last in the NFL in sacks.

I wouldnt mind the pick soo much as long as Leftwich is not there. Trufant is solid, albeit a little small for my liking, but hey-he has proven himself as a solid cover guy in college. (Although the refernce to Teyo Johnson is poor-Hell I could cover him-Joke!)

However, having said that, I would rather have Leftwich and Suggs prior to Trufant. I think there impact on the team will be a much greater one in years to come. Sure Trufant is solid, but I think with his size he will never be the shut down guy everyone thinks he will be. There are just too many tall rangy wr's in the NFL.

Not a bad pick if Leftwich and Suggs are gone, and definatly woudl rather have him over Kennedy or Robertson at this point. .

But in this draft, there are DL to be had in round 2 and maybe even later. I am not a draftnik but my impression is the CB depth maybe drops off quite a bit after the top 3-4 players. So IMO, it would make alot of sense to draft one of the top Cbs (which is why I have always been on the Newman bandwagon) and then grab DL help in round 2 and later (always been partial to Redding myself but defer to Ed in the Peek arena).

I think the draft comes down to different factors in that teams want the best athlete avaiable...preferably an athlete who fills a need. The thing I think gets overlooked by alot of fans is how do these picks work within the confines of the depth of the draft as a whole. This is the exact reason why I believe the Bears will not draft a QB at #4 but rather go defense. Reason being, there are QBs to be had in round 2 where they have an early pick thus can choose from any number of QBs who will be available.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll make my prediction tomorrow.

Actually, with the injuries to top players, bad workouts, the availibility of good QB risks, three teams with multiple round 1 picks, and the low regard many scouts have for this class of RBS, this draft promises to be fascinating.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could live with Trufant at #6. I'm not jumping up and down for it, but I can see where it makes sense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort