Vanden Bosch Recipient of Ed Block Award

Jim O

Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1140

Vanden Bosch Recipient of Ed Block Award

Defensive lineman Kyle Vanden Bosch was chosen as the Cardinals 2002 recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award. Since 1984, the Ed Block Courage Awards has honored one player from every NFL team who exemplifies commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. The award was named after Ed Block, a longtime trainer with the Baltimore Colts, who is remembered as a great humanitarian and a visionary in the athletic training profession for many years.

Vanden Bosch was chosen solely by a vote of his fellow teammates in recognition of his on and off the field extra efforts and his ability to overcome great adversity.

“It is a prestigious honor because I was selected by my teammates,” explained Vanden Bosch. “They know what goes on at practice, in games and in the off-season, and I am proud that they view me as someone who works hard.”

Vanden Bosch suffered a devastating set-back his rookie year when he in early October of 2001, he blew out his knee.

“It was very hard to try to imagine what he was going through when he got injured,” offered Bonnie Vanden Bosch, Kyle’s mom. “The worst part was hearing the pain in his voice because he knew he wouldn't be playing football for a while.”

Not being able to go into battle with his teammates for the rest of his rookie season was an emotional battle for Vanden Bosch. The dedicated competitor had one goal on his mind, returning to game action by opening day 2002.

“Kyle epitomizes the traits that this award recognizes,” pointed out Head Coach Dave McGinnis. “He not only overcomes adversity but does it in a professional and positive manner, and does it above and beyond what conventional people are able to do. There was never any doubt in his mind that after he suffered his knee injury that he would not only rehab it, but rehab it to the point where he would be starting on opening day by the next year.”

“I am just going to go out there and lay it all on the line,” promised Vanden Bosch prior to the start of last season. “I don’t think I ever took anything for granted, but I know that I am going to play every down like it is my last because I know now what it is like to sit out. Each rep could be the last rep I ever play. I don’t want to ever have any regrets.”

Vanden Bosch started and competed in all 16 games despite also suffering a severely sprained ankle and torn rib cartilage that probably would have sidelined less determined athletes.

“His dedication to returning from his injury is much like the dedication he has shown since he first started football,” shared his parents. “Since he broke his leg in the first game of his sophomore season in high school, he has continued to play every game as if it would be his last. This past season he has played through a lot of pain and even though he couldn't straighten his leg completely, he continued to give it his best effort.”

Vanden Bosch’s reliability and dedication to the game of football have quickly earned him the respect of his teammates, Cardinals fans, and his head coach.

“He is the consummate professional and exactly what I want on this football team,” praised McGinnis. “He’s quickly becoming a leader on our football team without ever saying a word. You want to know how to practice, just put the tape on of Kyle at practice. He has understood what being a professional is from day one. I put him right up in the category of Dan Hampton, Steve McMichael and those type of defensive linemen. They all share that mindset of not letting anything deter them from doing what they want to do.”

Vanden Bosch convened with the other recipients in Baltimore to receive their awards at the Ed Block Gala on Tuesday, March 25. In honor of Block, who was a powerful supporter for children’s rights and who often spoke out against child abuse, Vanden Bosch and the other recipients will also spend time this week at the local Courage House at St. Vincent's Center as part of the award experience.

Story by Chrissy Mauck, www.azcardinals.com

Attachments

• kvbblock.jpg
    kvbblock.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 349

CardAvenger

Screaming At A Wall
Reaction score
Congrats to KVB. Let's hope that some of that "courage" rubs off on some of our cowardly lions.

CardAvenger

Screaming At A Wall
Reaction score
True 'dat!!!!

I have that picture that I want him to sign. I'll have to hit him up at camp.:D

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
The Breakout Player in 2003.

$5 says KVB gets more sacks than that colosal putz Vonnie Holliday in 2003. Anyone?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Doesn't KVB look like Stone Cold? :D

Hey - that picture isn't Stone Cold - It's Jimmy Omohundro......

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
The Breakout Player in 2003.

$5 says KVB gets more sacks than that colosal putz Vonnie Holliday in 2003. Anyone?

Only a fool would take that bet! I will bet on Blake having a higher QB rating than Plummer by season's end...

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I will bet on Blake having a higher QB rating than Plummer by season's end...

Only a fool would take that bet! $5 says that Michael Stone WON'T have a breakout season :p

I'd bet $5 that Wendell Bryant has a breathrough season as well.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
What?

I'm tellin' ya' - jim is Stone Cold:

See::

Jim:

Attachments