Va. Tech leaning toward ACC invite; Miami mulling

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
GREENSBORO, N.C. - When the ACC's invitations finally went out, one guest was expected, another was a surprise - and two were snubbed.

The Atlantic Coast Conference officially ended its six-week expansion saga Wednesday by inviting only Miami and Virginia Tech to leave the Big East and join its league.

Boston College and Syracuse, which also were candidates for expansion, were left behind.

Miami and Virginia Tech are the Big East's two dominant football schools, and the move to go to 11 schools wasn't one of the expected scenarios after the ACC voted May 13 to expand.

"These two institutions represent and share the values for which the ACC has long been known," said Clemson President James F. Barker, head of the league's Council of Presidents. "We feel they will be a great addition to our family."

Barker said the invitation to Virginia Tech, a dark-horse candidate that was added last week at the insistence of Virginia, was "subject to final completion of the conference bylaw requirements" - a site visit that was under way Wednesday in Blacksburg, Va.

Virginia Tech's governing board, meeting earlier Wednesday, unanimously authorized President Charles Steger to negotiate a deal with the ACC. Voting at a hastily called meeting in Roanoke, Va., the Board of Visitors gave Steger the authority to make the decision himself, and he said he was "inclined to accept" the offer.

Miami President Donna Shalala said school officials were disappointed that Boston College and Syracuse weren't included.

"Since this is a new proposal, we will evaluate it before making a decision," she said.

Athletic Director Paul Dee added it may take a few days for Miami to decide.

ACC Commissioner John Swofford said he didn't expect any problems with the invitation to either school, "but that's in their hands."

Boston College said the Big East was discussing future conference configurations among all its members. Its statement noted that Miami and Virginia Tech are included in those discussions, which is likely to mean that the Big East is making the would-be defectors a counterproposal to keep them from bolting.

The statement said the schools will address "those issues that have caused several Big East institutions to consider conference withdrawal."

Syracuse spokesman Kevin Morrow said the school was "disappointed that a decision like this was made."

Morrow said Syracuse would work with the Big East to "help it become an even stronger conference."

"We have faced challenges before, and we've always been up to the task. We will be again," Morrow said.

Swofford refused to give the expansion vote breakdown, although he said there weren't enough votes for a plan to add only Miami.

"I think the Big East will recover," Swofford said. "It isn't an acquisition, it isn't a takeover because the only way we can grow is if schools want to come join us by choice. I think it's been very misrepresented in some quarters."

The ACC presidents voted May 13 to expand, and conference officials visited Miami, Boston College and Syracuse to assess their facilities. Virginia Tech came into the picture last week, as part of a compromise suggested by Virginia President John T. Casteen III.

Virginia Tech was one of five Big East football schools that filed a lawsuit June 6 to try to stop Boston College, Miami and Syracuse from leaving the conference. Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and West Virginia were the other parties to the suit.

If the ACC expands to 11 members, it would be one short of the number necessary to hold a football conference championship game.

The ACC could seek a waiver of the requirement, but Steve Mallonee, the NCAA's Division I associate chief of staff, said Wednesday that he was unaware of any such request.

Mallonee said no conference has asked for a waiver since the rule was added in 1987.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As I said in an earlier thread on this topic, I believe that Miami and Va. Tech going to the ACC, would make the ACC possibly the second or third best conferences in the nation for football (best hands down for basketball).

The Big East will move into WAC territory as far as quality goes. Maybe the name should be changed to EAC? :D

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miami and Va Tech add a ton of football quality, but as far as basketball goes, this lowers the level of the ACC.

I do not understand the ACC - 11 teams? Even though Miami and VA Tech make a lot more sense than BC and SYR.

The Big East would still be better than the WAC - more like the MWC.

I hope the NCAA sticks to its guns and makes the ACC add a twelfth team for a championship game.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This also puts Miami in a bind - it wants to be in the ACC, but Miami president Shalala is a Syracuse alum, and the school itself has a strong alum base in the northeast.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
Miami and Va Tech add a ton of football quality, but as far as basketball goes, this lowers the level of the ACC.

I do not understand the ACC - 11 teams? Even though Miami and VA Tech make a lot more sense than BC and SYR.

The Big East would still be better than the WAC - more like the MWC.

I hope the NCAA sticks to its guns and makes the ACC add a twelfth team for a championship game.

That would be nice to see the ACC become a 12 team conference.

I want to see Notre Dame join a conference, so that the fake football power is finally, fully exposed.

(Note: I do want to see Willingham succeed however. I love to see minority coaches make it at big time programs. I was a little pissed that Shula got the Alabama job; Sylvester Croom would've been a great hire)

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So, who do you nominate for ACC Team #12?

A very good question...I think it is important that the team is a southern team, that's why I didn't like the idea of BC or Syracuse.

Maybe a lesser SEC team, but I don't see why anyone would jump from the SEC to the ACC.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see anyone from the SEC jumping either. Mostly likely to jump would be South Carolina, possibly Vanderbilt (to give Duke and Wake Forest some Football company), but don't see those happening.

Apparently, the ACC is trying to woo Notre Dame.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
A very good question...I think it is important that the team is a southern team, that's why I didn't like the idea of BC or Syracuse.

Maybe a lesser SEC team, but I don't see why anyone would jump from the SEC to the ACC.

It makes no sense for an SEC school to jump to the ACC...no matter what geography is involved. SEC is a football conference but also, they really aren't too shabby a basketball confernece...3rd best IMO behind the ACC and Big 12. It would be one thing if an SEC basketball school absolutely sucked at football and went but there really aren't any schools like that in the SEC.

ND as Independent is a joke and if they don't get into a confernece, they should be discounted from the BCS...basically forces them to join.

I think the NCAA is a fraud and joke. They stick their noses in anything until there is this conference realignment crap and then they say nothing and a school like UConn, who is building a new football stadium, gets shafted.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Miami accepts invitation to join ACC

Associated Press
Jun. 30, 2003 01:00 PM

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Miami accepted an invitation to join the Atlantic Coast Conference on Monday, spurning a flurry of last-minute offers from Big East officials to remain in their league.

University president Donna Shalala and athletic director Paul Dee formally announced the decision in a statement released moments before a scheduled news conference, ending what was a seven-week courtship between the school and the ACC.

Miami's decision to join Virginia Tech in defecting from the Big East dramatically alters the balance of power within the conferences, bringing the ACC two of the nation's strongest football programs and leaving the Big East with a big void.

The presidents and chancellors of the six remaining Big East football schools - Boston College, Syracuse, Connecticut, Rutgers, Temple and West Virginia - vowed their conference would become "even stronger."

"The Big East remains a strong, elite conference comprising some of the finest universities in the country," They said in a statement. We "will continue to approach that challenge with commitment, creativity and a sense of urgency."

Miami and Virginia Tech will begin playing in the ACC as soon as the 2004-05 season. Both remain Big East members for 2003-04, since schedules for the upcoming academic year have already been made.

Each school will pay the Big East a $1 million exit fee and the ACC a $3 million entrance fee. If Miami had made its intentions known after Monday, its exit fee could have doubled.

The ACC originally sought to expand to 12 schools so it could offer a lucrative conference title game in football. While the league plans to seek another school, it also could ask the NCAA to change the 12-member requirement.

Officials from several Big East schools were in contact with Shalala and Dee all weekend to persuade the Hurricanes to stay put. The Miami officials also were studying a counterproposal from Big East members, who had previously guaranteed the Hurricanes $45 million over five years to stay in their league.

The counteroffer was led by Boston College and Syracuse, which were the other two schools the ACC originally targeted in its 12-team scenario. But those institutions were told last week that they would not receive invitations, a decision that Shalala said she was "deeply disappointed" over.

Miami's decision ensures the legal battle over the ACC's expansion will continue.

A lawsuit contends Big East members Connecticut, Rutgers, West Virginia and Pittsburgh have spent millions on their football programs based on presumed loyalty from schools it had been aligned with, including Miami.

Virginia Tech was originally among the plaintiffs; it was removed from the case after being invited to join the ACC. Boston College and Miami were the original defendants; Miami now is the lone one, accused of participating in a conspiracy intended to weaken the Big East.

"We will continue vigorously to protect the Big East in the courts of Connecticut," said Jeffrey Mishkin, the lead counsel for the Big East plaintiffs. "The ACC's 50th anniversary will now be marked with depositions and document discovery exposing the ACC's predatory conduct and Miami's conspiratorial actions."

Miami has won six of the 12 Big East football championships; Virginia Tech has three. Miami has the best all-time record in Big East play (66-10), followed by Virginia Tech (53-23), which is percentage points ahead of Syracuse (56-26).

In the last three seasons, Miami has the best record among all Division I-A football programs, 35-2. Virginia Tech (29-9) is tied for eighth on that list.

Since the inception of the Big East's football conference in 1991, Miami is the only school to have won a national championship. The Hurricanes won national titles in 1991 and 2001, plus played for the crown after last season, losing to Ohio State.

Virginia Tech also played for the national championship after the 1999 season, losing to Florida State.

Miami voted to join the Big East in October 1990, five months before the league's football conference was formed. The Big East had long been best known as a basketball conference, especially after the success Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova enjoyed during the 1980s.

The Big East's original attraction to Miami was mainly linked to its football successes: The Hurricanes had had won three football national titles in the eight years prior to their acceptance into the conference.

"Our future was at stake," Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese said on Oct. 10, 1990, the day Miami's trustees voted unanimously to join the Big East. "If the Big East and the University of Miami could not have gotten together, I'm not certain we had an answer that would have satisfied the football concerns of Pitt, Boston College and Syracuse."

Now, as Miami has staked its future in the ACC, the Big East's future may be at stake again.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the ACC be like the Big 10 and stick with 11 teams?

What does the Big East do now?

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Will the ACC be like the Big 10 and stick with 11 teams?

What does the Big East do now?

Go after Notre Dame?

That's pretty much the only option I can think of.

Notre Dame's basketball team is already in the Big East, why not their football team? And it would assure Notre Dame, their 5-6 annual patsies. :D

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Go after Notre Dame?

That's pretty much the only option I can think of.

Notre Dame's basketball team is already in the Big East, why not their football team? And it would assure Notre Dame, their 5-6 annual patsies. :D

IMO, the Big East will end up disbanding with one more of them heading to the ACC, a couple hooking up into Conference USA amd the Big 10 grabbing some (1-3 teams). Losing your top 2 football programs will be their death because now they will lose their BCS tie in due to level of conference competition. There goes all the money.

Even adding Notre Dame won't help although it cannot hurt. But ND thinks it is above the world and their football team is still the glorious champion of years past and they are divinely chosen as a non-affiliated football program. Idiots. BCS should walk away from their sorry asses until they join a conference.

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
IMO, the Big East will end up disbanding with one more of them heading to the ACC, a couple hooking up into Conference USA amd the Big 10 grabbing some (1-3 teams). Losing your top 2 football programs will be their death because now they will lose their BCS tie in due to level of conference competition. There goes all the money.

Even adding Notre Dame won't help although it cannot hurt. But ND thinks it is above the world and their football team is still the glorious champion of years past and they are divinely chosen as a non-affiliated football program. Idiots. BCS should walk away from their sorry asses until they join a conference.

Very good points Cubbie.

And I hope that the BCS does put some pressure on Notre Dame to join a conference, with the threat of not getting a possible National Championship. ND is not above the rules (despite what they think) and they should be treated like any other unaffiliated.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it could work out like this:

West Virginia goes to ACC...joins up in rivalries with VTech and Virginia.

Big 10 swoops in and gathers Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College. All big name programs (although not always powerhouses). Good in basketball too which the Big 10 is pretty decent in hoops but this would make them better. Adding at least one more will allow Big 10 to have football championship which they don't have right now. It also gives the Big 10 some more sizable markets for TV.

Rutgers and UConn are odd men out and Confernece USA comes in and grabs them...although that would give them 13 teams which is awkward but they could still have a playoff too. To make it a round 14 teams they could grab Navy since Army is already in the Conference USA.

Unfortuantely, that only leaves Troy State and Notre Dame as independents. Where they go is anyones guess.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would create a 14-team Big 10 - not gonna happen.

Big 10 may try to get Pitt or Syracuse, but not all three.

Also - Temple is homeless as well.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would create a 14-team Big 10 - not gonna happen.

Big 10 may try to get Pitt or Syracuse, but not all three.

Also - Temple is homeless as well.

Temple was being booted out of the Big East to make room for UConn and I believe from a football standpoint, Temple was going to drop to DIAA. Not sure on that part but they were out of Big East anyways.

Why not a 14 team conference? I see no reason why it cannot happen...or shouldn't happen.

As a side note, when this whole Miami thing started I thought Pitt alone to Big 10 to give Penn St and natural rival in conference,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard