Try not to be shocked if we take Kevin Williams at #6

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You heard it here first.

The guy is moving up boards like a rocket. He is a John-Randle-intensity nutcase. He plays DT like his ass is on fire and the QB has a bucket of water.

I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm saying don't be shocked or disappointed if it does. I bet McGinnis just frickin' loves this guy.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, as you now know I'm pretty weak on these guys in the draft.

Who is he and what do you think about him

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Actually Ed

I stated it first but it doesn't really matter, Williams seems to have McGinnis player written all over him. If Suggs is there, I still would like the Cards to gamble with greatness and nab Suggs.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bah

You could get this guy at 13. Why not move down with New Orleans for at least a 2nd and a 4th to get the same player at a cheaper price.

It's Suggs, Leftwich, or Newman. No one else warrants the #6 pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's going to happen.
Whew!!!!!!! You had me scared.

Williams would be the perfect candidate for the Lying Game. You talk up a guy who currently is rated somewhere around #10 in the hope that some team down around the 10th pick gets really jacked up about him. Then you spread rumors that he's "skyrocketing up the board." This makes the team drafting in the #10 hole consider moving up a couple of spots in order to secure Williams. Slick.

Consider this - It would be one thing for a player to "skyrocket" up the charts because he had a sensational last-minute workout (i.e. adding 20 lbs but dropping 0.1 from his forty time). But if the dude has a John Randle-type work ethic and the proverbial non-stop motor, this would already be old news, and his rating would already reflect that.

A far more likely scenario (one that would leave me feeling slightly nauseous and crying in my Ovaltine) would involve the Cards - at #6 - finding that Suggs, Kennedy (or Robertson_, Trufant, Leftwich and WIlliams were all undrafted and opted to move down to #10 or #11 because they'd get one of those guys while adding a second 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I'd feel great if we still landed Suggs and darned good if we wound up with Robertson and pretty good if we landed Leftwich or Trufant. But I don't think K Williams - even as a better value at the #10 hole - would do very much if anything to improve our football team.

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Bah

Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
You could get this guy at 13. Why not move down with New Orleans for at least a 2nd and a 4th to get the same player at a cheaper price.

It's Suggs, Leftwich, or Newman. No one else warrants the #6 pick.

I wasn't supporting the idea, I was just stating it.

For the record, he won't get past seattle at #11 and I'm curious as to why Trufant, a better and healthier cover man, doesn't warrant the #6. Nor Dewayne Robertson.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I hope where both wrong

I know what you mean Ed, I wouldn't be heart broken but I really don't want Williams either. I feel like you that Williams is it, I hope where both wrong and it is Suggs or Leftwhich.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...

I am not a big supporter of taking a DT at #6 at all. The draft is so deep at DT, you could trade down and still get an outstanding one while sacrificing little ability.

There will also be outstanding DTs in the second round and still good ones in the third.

As to Trufant...I guess he would be an okay pick...certainly a solid one. But Suggs, Leftwich, and Newman all have the potential to be franchise level players.

That is what I am looking for. Our team stinks pretty bad right now...we need to either get good in lots of places (trade down) or get those difference makers.

OP
OP
E

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Well...

Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
I am not a big supporter of taking a DT at #6 at all. The draft is so deep at DT, you could trade down and still get an outstanding one while sacrificing little ability.

There will also be outstanding DTs in the second round and still good ones in the third.

As to Trufant...I guess he would be an okay pick...certainly a solid one. But Suggs, Leftwich, and Newman all have the potential to be franchise level players.

Excellent points. I see your logic. Trufant is very "safe" but not quite as "exciting" of a pick.

I won't cry if we take him, but Suggs or Leftwich certainly have more star power. Sacks and TD passes get the headlines, not solid press coverage :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and I'm curious as to why Trufant, a better and healthier cover man, doesn't warrant the #6. Nor Dewayne Robertson.
I agree. But I'd still be ecstatic if we chose Suggs, only slightly less so if we chose Robertson and - despite the logic - just mildly enthused about Trufant (even though he'd stabilize our secondary for once and for all).

dlovin

Reaction score
"Why, of course the people don't want war ... But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
--Hermann Goring at the Nuremberg Trials

Hey Ed,

Lose the antiwar speach huh! If you haven't seen the headlines lately, we won. That included freeing hundreds of children from the Iraqi prisons because they wouldn't join Husseins movement, helping the Iraqi people to tear down the statues of Saddam, freeing one of our soldiers after they broke bother of her legs and collar bones, finding a mass grave of 1500 people in Northern Iraq. The list goes on and on. I am not sure quoting a former Nazi much helps your point. Unless of course you are accusing our leaders (Pres. Bush, Colin Powell, etc) of being Nazis.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort