Thoughts on Reid, Haley, Chip Kelly & Beyond

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Well, my theory as to how MB had a deal in place with Reid---just as he did with Reid for Kevin Kolb during the lockout---was obviously wrong. I am marinating the crow as we speak and will throw it into the oven alongside the humble pie---and it will be consumed by the kickoff of the Fiesta Bowl.

Like some of you, i actually am feeling relieved that Reid is going to KC. No question I reveled in the potential positives of having a QB friendly coach in the building.

The gig for Reid in KC is especially attractive seeing as he gets the #1 pick in the draft...and...the AFC West has become what the NFC West was a few years back. Reid could have the Chiefs contending relatively soon, depending on FA acquisitions, a great draft and, as always, a little luck.

There's speculation that Reid's interest in AZ waned when MB did not accommodate AR's request to bring along his own GM.

Whether that's accurate or not---what has me very curious is how MB seems to be treating the GM spot. He doesn't seem all that fazed that Steve Keim is on the GM interview tour---he told Keim that if he wants to be the GM in AZ, MB will not deal with Keim's agent. What's up with that?

It almost seems like MB likes thinking of himself as the real GM and that all he needs is good scout to do the other parts of the job...one that he really doesn't have to pay on a par with other GMs in the league.

This has me worried, considerably.

The fact that MB seems more intent and eager to hire a HC before he gets around to hiring a GM has me worried.

I believe part of the real dysfunction in the organization has been the rifts between the FO and the coaching staff....and players.

The FO seems to shut down come September 1st---after that point if a key player at a key position goes down, there's no asking for adjusting on the run. The coaches seem stuck with the players already on the roster---and if those players can't cut it, it doesn't matter---the coaches are stuck and the team is stuck. And when we are stuck---we always lose.

Plus---I think it is fair to question how astute MB is as a football man. He's an astute marketer, imo. But, does he really have the expertise to evaluate football coaching personnel and player personnel? Seriously.

MB's acting without a GM right now---cause for concern, imo.

Now, that said, the fact that Horton has been interviewed twice...that Reid was a candidate...and that Mike McCoy is a candidate is a good start. I don;t think the Cardinals could really go wrong with any of these three, unless Horton's offensive plan is a failure.

As for Todd Haley---let's face it---hiring Haley is going to be a very tough sell to the fans and some of the players. MB is an astute marketer, like I said. The PR on such a move would not be a slam dunk for ticket sales, unless fans don't want to miss a possible fistfight or spitting match on the sidelines.

On the flip side---even though many of you are questioning Chip Kelly as a viable candidate because you assume that the offense you see at Oregon is what he intends to run in the NFL---I can promise you this: if Chip Kelly is hired as HC, the buzz on this hire will be immediate and explosive on both the local and the national level.

There is a fascination factor with Kelly---and based on his fairly recent history of squaring off versus Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh in the PAC-10 would create games within the games.

Personally---I would be ecstatic if we hired Kelly---I think he would capture our imaginations in ways we have never seen. I also think that as this NFC West situation is slipping quickly through our hands like time, that Kelly would give us the best chance to reverse the current slide.

What I cannot fathom is how this guy---symbolically and literally---is in AZ right now in OUR stadium---and we don't have an interview set up with him?

I would think any football man would want to sit across the table from this guy to see what makes him tick.

If Bill Belichick seeks Kelly out---that speaks volumes.

Beyond---

I know ti's frustrating to wait but the prospect of a Kyle Shanahan with QB Kirk Cousins in tow looks very attractive to me.

I also have a very high regard for Cincy OC Jay Gruden---who, with Andy Dalton at QB and a number of young players has helped to get Cincy into the playoffs two years in a row---

Then---what about raiding the 49ers? Check this one out:

GM: Tom Gamble
HC: Greg Roman
DC: Ray Horton
ST: Kevin Spencer
QB: Alex Smith---UFA (after he is released in March)
TE: Delaney Walker---UFA
DE: Ricky Jean-Francois---UFA
FS: Dashon Goldson---UFA

The Niners tried to steal Kurt Warner away when we were in 1st place---well, how about returning the favor? We actually would be in a strong position to make this happen---stronger than what SF had with Warner.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether that's accurate or not---what has me very curious is how MB seems to be treating the GM spot. He doesn't seem all that fazed that Steve Keim is on the GM interview tour---he told Keim that if he wants to be the GM in AZ, MB will not deal with Keim's agent. What's up with that?

It almost seems like MB likes thinking of himself as the real GM and that all he needs is good scout to do the other parts of the job...one that he really doesn't have to pay on a par with other GMs in the league.

This has me worried, considerably.

you're not the only one. To have MB be a Jerry Jones-like figure for this team, without Jerry Jones' pocket book, seems like a recipe for disaster... or business as usual.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on Mike Bidwill Mitch. He grabbed the reins Monday and has changed the power dynamics of the franchise for...... who knows how long. He is now the ultimate GM, even though that is not going to be his title. We'll have to see how much he defers to the guys he hires on talent decisions and contract decisions.

What happened with Mike Bidwill this week cannot be understated IMO. It's going to turn out to be far more important for our future than whatever individuals he decides to hire.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch, I respect you & your knowledge of the game but Kelly's offense as is will never work in this league IMO. I just dont see how he could rely on smaller, faster offensive players & schemes of not blocking many of the Dlineman & LBs. trying to trick or out quick & outrun Unblocked NFL defensive players will lead to large amount of injuries imo. Adding to that, Other than RGIII & Kapernick I'm not sure many QBs can throw well enough to make his similar offense work at this level.

Time to move on & face the fact that Horton will be our HC. I still believe he's the right guy at the right time for us to rebuild & win for a long period of time. Now it's time for Michael to either make Keim or Licht the GM & let them work with Judge Dread to right this ship.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Reid, assuming he goes to KC, will draft Geno Smth and turn him into a fantastic WCO QB....

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A team President taking the lead in the hiring of a general manager and / or head coach is hardly novel and is precisely the process in train at Kansas City, from what I've read. I'd speculate that, at least informally, he's consulting with people in the know.

As for the beyond, I' note only that he seems to favour direct access to him by both the GM and H-C - again, not particularly new as arbitrating interests is part of the job definition.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, I respect you & your knowledge of the game but Kelly's offense as is will never work in this league IMO. I just dont see how he could rely on smaller, faster offensive players & schemes of not blocking many of the Dlineman & LBs. trying to trick or out quick & outrun Unblocked NFL defensive players will lead to large amount of injuries imo. Adding to that, Other than RGIII & Kapernick I'm not sure many QBs can throw well enough to make his similar offense work at this level.

Time to move on & face the fact that Horton will be our HC. I still believe he's the right guy at the right time for us to rebuild & win for a long period of time. Now it's time for Michael to either make Keim or Licht the GM & let them work with Judge Dread to right this ship.

You are assuming that Kelly will attempt to run the Oregon offense in the NFL. I am not assuming that. I think he will take his philosophy of outnumbering the side of the field he wishes to attack and go with it---but within a different type of approach.

If you don't think Kelly is smart enough to realize that the Oregon offense would not hold up in the NFL, especially because of the potential pounding the QB would take versus pros---you may not understand how committed this guy is to winning.

He will continue stress speed at RB and WR and imo that's very smart. But he will also have power options within his system.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am praying the Mike Bidwill is more of a Jerry Colangelo then a Mike Sarver.

I am really worried about how things are moving right now. Why in the hell would we promote a coordinator other than Horton? I don't think I could get behind McCoy, Gruden, Shanahan, Haley (hell no), or any of the others. It would be like slapping Ray smack dab in the face.

However...............

I could be totally wrong.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only assume Kelly would make dramatic adjustments to his offense for the NFL. For one, pretty sure the read-option would have to go. NFL defenses will take that away with just the defensive end, who will be quick enough to hold his gap and then crash and make a tackle.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If getting Reid was predicated on giving Andy complete control, including his hand picked GM, then thank goodness he isn't the pick. The word from Philly was that that very situation was a key part of the Eagles struggles.

Oh by the way-- it was the situation that led to Whis' and the Cardinals' recent struggles.

So I am not a fan of the coach as king setup. If KC wants to do so, they can be my guest.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am praying the Mike Bidwill is more of a Jerry Colangelo then a Mike Sarver.

I am really worried about how things are moving right now. Why in the hell would we promote a coordinator other than Horton? I don't think I could get behind McCoy, Gruden, Shanahan, Haley (hell no), or any of the others. It would be like slapping Ray smack dab in the face.

However...............

I could be totally wrong.

Yeah, I think you meant Robert Sarver. :mrgreen:

Maybe you were thinking of

You must be registered for see images attach

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
! always find it amusing that when someone from the "media" tweets something, MB will not talk to Keim's agent, the assumption is it's true.

If nothing else, the past few days have proven that the so called media experts have no more of an idea what is actually happening then I do.

From what I have observed, I personally like the way Michael has handled this so far.

This is not his daddy's Cardinals any more.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If getting Reid was predicated on giving Andy complete control, including his hand picked GM, then thank goodness he isn't the pick. The word from Philly was that that very situation was a key part of the Eagles struggles.

Oh by the way-- it was the situation that led to Whis' and the Cardinals' recent struggles.

So I am not a fan of the coach as king setup. If KC wants to do so, they can be my guest.

Amen!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
As for Chip Kelly: the track record of college only guys is just not good.

I heard Jason Cole of Yahoo sports talk about the dangers do the college innovator with no nFL experience: they have good ideas, but don't now how to adapt them to the NFL game. When it doesn't go well -- they tend to lose locker rooms quickly. It was the Spurrier experience.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have no problem the way Bidwill is handling the process. As he mentioned Monday, these interviews are great learning opportunities and he's taking advantage of learning as much from various sources as he can. He's also doing a good job of maintaining current relationships as evidenced by Horton and his family being in the box with him tonight at the Fiesta Bowl and he and Keim attending the Oregon practice together on Tuesday. I don't know why people are making him out to be a dictator. I'd much rather this approach than to quickly promote people without bothering to interview outside candidates.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As for Chip Kelly: the track record of college only guys is just not good.

I heard Jason Cole of Yahoo sports talk about the dangers do the college innovator with no nFL experience: they have good ideas, but don't now how to adapt them to the NFL game. When it doesn't go well -- they tend to lose locker rooms quickly. It was the Spurrier experience.
Gotta question - Both Harbaugh and Carroll returned from the college ranks but had previous college coaching backgrounds. Did Kelly ever coach in the pros?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Gotta question - Both Harbaugh and Carroll returned from the college ranks but had previous college coaching backgrounds. Did Kelly ever coach in the pros?

No Kelly didn't. And Harbaugh & Carrol both had NFL experience

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, I see no evidence whatsoever that Michael's interest in Steve Keim has diminished in any way. In fact, I find it fascinating that he had Keim sit in on Horton's second interview, as well as Scott Licht. I think that is a very good way to sent the message to Keim that 'you are my guy', and to Licht as well. I believe that these four, Michael, Keim, Licht, and Horton would make one very formidable leadership group with which to operate a long-term building cycle. They are all good at what they do. They are bright. They work well together and get along very well and most of all, they have been committed to, and active in the betterment of the franchise. I think the fact that both Keim and Licht consented to sitting in on that interview says much about their desire to keep this group together. I also think that Michael likes this group very much as well, and that he would like to keep them together as his sounding board. I even believe that he would encourage them to participate in as many of their own interviews as they can, because that is one very good way to find out what different franchises are looking for in a candidate, and an excellent way to improve their own abilities. I don't think that he has closed any doors to them, and contrarily has actually included them during the process.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you meant Robert Sarver. :mrgreen:

Maybe you were thinking of

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah.... That should show you how "dead to me" the Suns have been for the last year or so.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
You are assuming that Kelly will attempt to run the Oregon offense in the NFL. I am not assuming that. I think he will take his philosophy of outnumbering the side of the field he wishes to attack and go with it---but within a different type of approach.

If you don't think Kelly is smart enough to realize that the Oregon offense would not hold up in the NFL, especially because of the potential pounding the QB would take versus pros---you may not understand how committed this guy is to winning.

He will continue stress speed at RB and WR and imo that's very smart. But he will also have power options within his system.

I don't think it's so much that people assume he'll try to run Oregon's system in the NFL as it is that there's no sure thing that whatever he does choose to run in the NFL will work. "Kelly is smart" is a weak argument. There have been many a brilliant coach that couldn't make it work in the NFL. The reality is that Kelly is every bit as much a gamble as any other option out there. He may be a HoF NFL coach, or he might be out of the league after a year or two like Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know what Keim's experience looks like but he maybe giving him experience on how to go through a high level interview process that a GM will have to go through. He may also be using it as an opportunity to judge how Keim Handles himself in such situations also.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
IMO, Michael is doing the right thing by being deliberate. Frankly, I was troubled by the early-on Andy Reid 95% rumors because that smacked of exactly the opposite of due diligence. It smacked of something Daniel Synder or Jerry Jones would do, make the big splash without considering and pursuing the alternatives.

Let's face it, the NFC West is a very tough division and it doesn't look like it is going to get any easier going forward. All three of our competitors have and are improving dramatically. It's a good reason for Michael to take his time and make sure the new hires are up to the task of going to war with SF, Seattle and St.Louis. It ain't gonna be easy, so mediocre won't cut it anymore. And the ability to make mistakes {see the Kevin Kolb acquisition} and still win and long gone.

If things are still unresolved by the end of NEXT week, I'll be concerned. Until then, he's right to be considering several alternatives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose