Thornton Visits the Cards

Jim O

Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1110

Thornton Visits the Cards

Defensive lineman John Thornton finished out the Cardinals last free agent visit for the week on Friday, March 7.

It has been a long week of visits for the Cardinals organization and also for Thornton, who has taken trips to Cincinnati, New England and is still scheduled to visit Detroit.

“I am kind of ready to get it over with,” expressed Thornton. “I don’t like to feel like I am a rock star or anything. I would like to get this done by this weekend. I am not a patient person.”

Thornton has enjoyed his trip to Arizona and is just looking for a place he feels comfortable and believes that the team has a winning mindset.

“Some guys like to be pampered,” offered Thornton. “For me, I want to see what kind of defense they run. You can tell they want to win here. I read almost every paper, every day and I know the program and I just wanted to see the direction they are going in. You can’t beat the weather and my wife is upset I didn’t bring her out here. There are a lot of positives here. They just need some help.”

Thornton feels his play in Tennessee makes him worthy of helping the Cardinals out. He started 16-games last year, despite battling a left ankle injury late in the season. He was part of a defense that ranked 10th in the league and finished the season with 44 tackles, two sacks, 12 quarterback pressures, two tackles for loss and two passes defensed.

The Cardinals are expecting their next free agent visit on Monday, March 10 by former Rams fullback James Hodgins.

Hodgins was considered one of the best lead blockers in the league going into the 2002 season. He was the Rams’ starting fullback in 2001, blocking for NFL Offensive Player of the Year RB Marshall Faulk and NFL MVP QB Kurt Warner. Also a special teams contributor, Hodgins 2002 season was hampered by a broken foot which kept him out the first seven weeks of the season.

Attachments

• thorntonsack.jpg
    thorntonsack.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 217

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
YES YES YES. Imagine if we sign Colvin, Hollidya or Okeafor, Thornton, and Jackson. You talk about a bigtime change in our defense. Then get Hodgins to play FB, and the only glaring need ( a big need ) is Qb. I truly hope BIlly sees that this could be a history making change for his team. If we fill that many holes before the draft, then our draft will be even more succesful due to the point we can really fill 1-2 holes instead of 3-5, and add depth .OOOPs I forgot Wr. If all this happens and we get Stewart,Griese, or Blake, We will draft a WR at #6.

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the information Jim O!!!!!
So, tell me what is the big news going into the weekend..... ok, ok, ok, is there any hints of big news for the weekend, in the big House??????
Talk to us Jim O!
We won't tell who told us....:wink:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking that he would be the usual 'Cardinal Type Signing' ....thorton. A blue collar, not to statistic flashy player.

I do like him.. He would be cheap, and would help fill a need.

With the weather talk, and his wife...sounds like Freddie Jones

Hodgins would be a GREAT cheap pickup too.

Then if we could land a colvin, s.knight(How come I haven't heard ANYTHING about him visiting ANY team?) or d.jackson, holliday or okefor, and a WR like derrius thompson (pref.) or kevin dyson.

Sign a Tim Rattay, Blake, stewart, S.king.

Draft a qb leftwich

Draft a wr, c, and BPA.

We would be a whole lot better.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Someone (I think) had this guy rated as the top FA DT available this year. Yes or no?????

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison