Suns @ Lakers Wednesday game thread 3-22-2023

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see Ross before Shamet just as a first half microwave off the bench. I know his defense hasn't been good, hopefully it improves some. He's still a capable scorer on a team that lacks those off the bench. There's little risk in seeing if he can fill it up in the first half. Hopefully his defense improves as he continues getting reps because I do believe part of the issue is the system change.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More concise rotation from here on out? I guess we'll see what that means tonight.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like Monty is going to shorten his rotation as he has been playing so many guys. Whether that is enough, I don't know.

IMO, the Suns should have already been in playoff mode with 11 games left.

So why haven't our guys transitioned well?

Lakers had a plan and have made their gameplan around those acquired.

Meanwhile, Monty plays guys at random; minutes, roles, position.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like to think Monty has been trying to figure out who will be in the playoff rotation. However, I'm not sure if I believe that because Devin Booker is getting worn down trying to carry the team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Listen to Barkley talk about how champions teams build chemistry and consistency. Everybody knows what to expect every night they know what there job is and how important it is for players

We don’t have any of that

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Lakers got rid of a team killer and also added better players than we did (if you don't count KD). I'm willing to blame Monty for almost anything but he hasn't been dealt a full deck. And remember, in the past there have been many complaints here about Monty always playing his favorites and ignoring hot hands or guys on the bench that could have helped us.

IMO he is either a below average Head Coach or he has a below average staff working for him, either way I'm not sure our problems are coaching issues right now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to Barkley talk about how champions teams build chemistry and consistency. Everybody knows what to expect every night they know what there job is and how important it is for players

We don’t have any of that

When the Suns went to the Finals they had consistency. Hopefully it's not too late to rebuild it.

A couple of things concern me the most providing the Suns get healthy. They will need to make stops and relearn how to close out games. The Suns defense simply has not been there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers got rid of a team killer and also added better players than we did (if you don't count KD). I'm willing to blame Monty for almost anything but he hasn't been dealt a full deck. And remember, in the past there have been many complaints here about Monty always playing his favorites and ignoring hot hands or guys on the bench that could have helped us.

IMO he is either a below average Head Coach or he has a below average staff working for him, either way I'm not sure our problems are coaching issues right now.
That's likely the only reason I am not on the fire Monty bandwagon. You have to acknowledge he has not had a full deck. Having said that? He also was the coach of the team that had two epic collapses two years running. He is also the coach that just about everyone on the planet can see struggles with adjustments. He is also the coach that is rumored to not have liked coaching guys like Jae and McGee because they had too much attitude which seemed freaking immature to me. If this team was fully healthy this year and whiffed again? I would be ready to move on as well. He is a good coach but not all good coaches can put you over the top. I would like to see what Monty can due with this team healthy though before I jump on that bandwagon.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

An argument can easily be made that the Lakers team around Lebron, is better than the Suns team around Durant... Book & A.D. cancel each other out. So, outside of those two, go guy for guy and I think it's pretty clear Monty is trying to make something from nothing, while the Lakers run out there guys like Russell, Vanderbilt, Schroder, Reeves, Beasley, Hachimura... who, collectively, are better than the basket of misfits - that includes a burned-out CP3 - the Suns run out there each night...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Providing everyone is healthy and Craig is starting, I can see the following players coming off the bench: Okogie, Shamet, Lee, Ross and Landale or Biz.

However, that is a really small bench.

Monty has said he wants to go with a 9.5 player rotation. The Suns really needed a longer power forward. Bazley is running out of time to be that guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns have Scott Foster tonight as a referee.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who gets more free throws tonight? Superstar Austin Reaves or that bum Devin Booker?
Neither are known for getting to the line that much. Reaves averages 3.8 FTA per game and Booker is at 6.2 although Reeves did go 16-18 in his last game. So, I'll go with Reaves. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That OKC loss really stings. Even with as bad as we’ve been lately, that would have given us a nice cushion on the 4 seed.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As of today:

Clippers 1 Game back from the Suns but we can swap seeds with them and it won't change the playoff match up.
- Next 3 Opp - Thunder, Pelicans, Bulls

Warriors 2 Game back from the Suns
- Mavs, 76ers, Timberwolves

Thunder 2.5 Games back from the Suns
- Clippers, Lakers, Trailblazers

Maves 2.5 Games back from the Suns
- Warriors, Hornets, Hornets

Suns next 3 - Lakers, Kings, 76ers

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An argument can easily be made that the Lakers team around Lebron, is better than the Suns team around Durant... Book & A.D. cancel each other out. So, outside of those two, go guy for guy and I think it's pretty clear Monty is trying to make something from nothing, while the Lakers run out there guys like Russell, Vanderbilt, Schroder, Reeves, Beasley, Hachimura... who, collectively, are better than the basket of misfits - that includes a burned-out CP3 - the Suns run out there each night...

Ross' Minutes as a Sun in 10 games: 25, 22, 17, inactive, inactive, 13, 23, 22, 15, 11, 16, 16

His minutes are just so up and down, I'm sure the same can be said for the rest of the non-starters. Its just hard to build anything without a plan.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That OKC loss really stings. Even with as bad as we’ve been lately, that would have given us a nice cushion on the 4 seed.
They are playing the best ball in the west 8-2 in their last 10 which is better than anyone in the west by a lot! It’s not like it wasn’t a game but damn did we miss DA it can’t be just Book having to carry the team we have to have someone take the pressure off him. And guys need to step up and make some damn shots we are missing way to many open shots!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very curious to see the rotation tonight, because apparently this is going to be the slimmed down playoff version - minus one extra guy for Durant.

Seems to me only one of Shamet, Ross, and Lee should make the cut.

All have pluses and minuses, not sure what Monty will go with.