strong example of fair weather fans...

pinnacle

Reaction score
not to pick too hard on my friends in kansas city..but since I grew up there I will anyway!

as we know..royals have been one of the worst teams in baseball and have had extremely poor crowds..I went to see the royals 2x in spring training (and no..not against the d-backs but against the brewers and rangers)...and the royals had virtually no fans at the games..

the typical crowd in kc has been 10 - 13,000...well..win a few games and start the season at 11- 3 ...and what happens? attendance triples to 38,000.

I have always tried to point out that KC has this great reputation as a football town..but when I went to arrowhead in the late 1970s and early 1980s crowds were pretty sparce..because they were losing....it was basically a baseball town then (can you say george brett) ..and the royals were winners..the chiefs had quite a few good years in the 1990s..the royals suck..so it switches..

there are only a couple of cities in the U.S. where fans turn out for the big 4 sports - win or lose..for the most part..if you win - fans show up..with a few exceptions where fans show up if you lose (cleveland new york (buffalo, giants jets) in football, knicks in basketball (although that is being tested), st. louis in baseball)..pretty much the same thing applys in az..win ..fans show up.

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but Phoenix may unfortunately be worse. 2 years ago in the NLCS, the D-backs were playing Atlanta in front of about 25,000-30,000. What crap. The Coyotes typically play to less than a half empty arena, and even with the suns picking up momentum, they have trouble selling out either. Only time I remember positive stuff about Phoenix fans was when Barkley was a sun, it was almost impossible to get tickets, and when the Cards played San Diego in 1998, pushing for the playoffs, the stadium was packed.

Phoenix has had winners, but there's still not enough stabilized people in town and too many transients with their old allegiances.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by vince56
Phoenix has had winners, but there's still not enough stabilized people in town and too many transients with their old allegiances.

I know exactly what you are saying in this sentence yet it still puts a picture in your head of unstable homeless people pushing shopping carts up and down the streets.

You gotta love the English language. :D

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
there are only a couple of cities in the U.S. where fans turn out for the big 4 sports - win or lose..for the most part..if you win - fans show up..with a few exceptions where fans show up if you lose (cleveland new york (buffalo, giants jets) in football, knicks in basketball (although that is being tested), st. louis in baseball)..pretty much the same thing applys in az..win ..fans show up.
I've never understood this argument about PHX fans. You say that there are only a couple cities that support the big four win or lose. I would agree...the key word there is "couple". So if there are only a "couple" cities that turn out at all 4 teams win or lose, then that would make those cities "abnormal" by virtue of being in the minority. In other words all the rest of the cities that have 4 sports teams and only support them by and large when they win is...NORMAL. So why diss Phoenix? It's not like PHX has 8 million people living in it such as New York or Chicago. Buffalo, Cleveland and St. Louis need to be omitted from your point because they do not have the Big 4 sports teams. Keep in mind the old apples to apples rule when making this comparison.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
actually...I am not dissing phoenix..obviously there are only a few cities that have the population to support 4 teams on a large scale...I am actually defending phoenix in that it is not that much different from any other sports city...I always hear on the radio how bad of a sports town it is...

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pinnacle, I hear ya...me too (defending PHX). Didn't mean to make it sound like "you" were dissing Valley fans. Just to the people who always do...Go Phoenix! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard