Starbucks Initiative on Race Relations Draws Attacks Online

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starbucks Initiative on Race Relations Draws Attacks Online

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/19/business/starbucks-race-together-shareholders-meeting.html?_r=0

Scrawled on Starbucks cups, the words “Race Together” were intended to stimulate conversations about race relations in America, beginning just days before the company’s annual shareholders meeting on Wednesday. But the coffee company’s campaign has instead unleashed widespread vitriol and derision.

The company effort lit up social media, drawing criticism and skepticism. The attacks grew so hostile that Corey duBrowa, the senior vice president for global communications at Starbucks, temporarily deleted his Twitter account on Monday. “Last night I felt personally attacked in a cascade of negativity,” Mr. duBrowa wrote in a post on Medium on Tuesday.

The fury and confusion boiled down to a simple question: What was Starbucks thinking?

Reactions have ranged from video parodies of customer interactions with baristas to some hostile online attacks aimed at corporate executives. Many have pointed out that the company’s leadership is predominantly white, while many of its baristas are members of minorities.

Others pleaded for a more traditional relationship with the businesses they patronize.

Gwen Ifill, the co-anchor of “PBS NewsHour,” wrote in a tweet on Tuesday: “Honest to God, if you start to engage me in a race conversation before I’ve had my morning coffee, it will not end well.”

With the race campaign, the brand may have been looking for a way to break away from its competitors, said Jeetendr Sehdev, who teaches at the University of Southern California.

“This is not about starting a conversation. This is about coffee wars,” he said. “The sole objective here is to try to increase the brand’s cultural relevance.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Race Together,' New Coke and other bad ideas

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...34/race-together-new-coke-and-other-bad-ideas

It was a tempest in a coffee cup.

Starbucks wanted to spark a conversation about race when it asked baristas to write "Race Together" on customers' cups as part of a broader effort, but people standing in line for their morning java were not amused. Many voiced complaints on social media and elsewhere that they didn't want a debate with their brew and Starbucks ended the campaign March 22, although the company said it was always meant to be brief.

Corporations spend millions to make sure their products, logos, and branding and marketing are top of mind for consumers in a positive way. But that means that when corporate missteps happen or marketing campaigns are a flop, they can go viral, too.

Problems usually arise when companies haven't fully considered the target they're trying to reach and what could go wrong, said Atlanta-based marketing consultant Laura Ries.

"You have to have the right approach at the right time," she said. "The problem many companies have is not understanding the customer's point of view, only understanding their personal point of view in terms of what they want to accomplish."

Here's a look at some major corporations' missteps and their impact.

STARBUCKS TALKS RACE

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is known for taking on big issues like job creation and education, so the coffee chain's latest initiative centered around diversity and racial inequality was not a big departure from that.

But one of the components, which had Starbucks baristas write "Race Together" on cups in an effort to get a dialogue on race going, led to an outcry from consumers. Some said it seemed opportunistic and inappropriate at a time of national protests over police killings of unarmed black men. Others questioned whether a line for coffee was an appropriate place for productive talks about race.

"You just don't know what's going to happen when you get out there and do something like this," said Paul Argenti, professor of corporate communications at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College. "To be focused on the big issues of the day is a great idea, but what's the right venue? Not waiting in a rush line in the morning."

Starbucks is standing by its campaign even though the cup initiative has ended. It will still hold forum discussions, co-produce special sections in USA Today and put more stores in minority communities as part of the Race Together initiative, according to a company memo from Schultz. He added in the note: "While there has been criticism of the initiative—and I know this hasn't been easy for any of you—let me assure you that we didn't expect universal praise."

"Schultz is trying to do something bold," Argenti said. "They do a lot of things. Some stick and some don't."

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't mix politics and coffee.

Kudos to them for bringing it up. You can hate on them all you want. (everyone is piling on) Only good can come from discussion on this long term.

Larry Wilmore had a show on this topic.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Education by profiteers and their minimum wage employees? Who is the customer base? Definitely not mugwumps. Preaching to the choir to bolster their branding?

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Education by profiteers and their minimum wage employees? Who is the customer base? Definitely not mugwumps. Preaching to the choir to bolster their branding?

I think Starbucks is a slightly different animal on this. They seem to be very embracing of diversity and equality. They even embrace a Starbucks boycott that some Christian groups have for their stance on gay rights issues. I understand that they are a corporation who's primary goal is to satisfy the stakeholders, but I do believe some corporations can still do good things.

Unfortunately, the fact that many Americans are racist to a certain extent is not something we want to be reflective about. It's just not a scab that anyone is willing to pick open.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Kudos to them for bringing it up. You can hate on them all you want. (everyone is piling on) Only good can come from discussion on this long term.

Larry Wilmore had a show on this topic.

Not hating on them. Just don't want my politics and coffee mixed.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard