Some updated info

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I made a little tour through my contacts with the top five teams in the draft (no real decision makers) but here's the info, as I hear it.

The Bengals will take Palmer unless some issue arises in contract negotiations, which the Bengals want done before the draft.

Detroit is pretty well locked into Rogers. They talked about defense, but the powers that be seem to feel Harrington needs Rogers to develop.

Texans has not fully decided, but my source is certain they will not take Suggs. The Texans want a player who could be a rush linebacker and they are convinced now that Suggs is not that player. At the moment I'm told Johnson seems the likely choice. They would trade down for the right deal, but they aren't shopping the pick.

The Bears are the most divided of the top teams on who to choose. They would love to trade down a little and let other teams make the decision easier for them. They like with no consensus among their decision makers; Robertson, Suggs, Newman, Boller and Leftwich. They actually also had Kennedy on this list at one point. My guy thinks Robertson and Newman are the frontrunners, but he warns anything could happen with this selection. He does think Suggs is on the bottom of the list.

The Cowboys will definitely go defense. They have considered Kennedy, Robertson, Suggs and Newman. Newman is consider the likely choice if the Bear pass on him.

Of course, if the Bears or the Texans trade down anything could happen. That said it seems increasingly likely Suggs will be on the board when the Cards select.

pinnacle

Reaction score
so harry..what do you think of suggs? looks like one way or another we will end up with suggs or robertson..what do you think of robertson? Historically if memory serves me correct you are pretty familiar with players in the south and southeast (I could be wrong on this) - I assume you have seen robertson play a few times..thanks.

Actually...why am I assuming the cardinals will take robertson? we drafted a tackle last year in the 1st round..I think ed is right...if suggs is not available - no one has a clue who we will take! I assume suggs is a safe bet if he is there because he is at our highest need position (pass rusher) and he has been making noise he wants to play here..

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My inside guy in the Cards' organization is long since gone. I haven't bothered to recruit anyone since I am no longer writing regularly and I have little to trade.

My impression from talking to guys in the know is that the Cards will go defensive line and pass rushing is the number one focus. There has been some talk of Miami's Johnson, but the feeling is that Suggs will be there.

I like Suggs, though his speed may make him a somewhat situational player. A team rarely takes a situational player with the sixth pick and that is a legitimate issue. His speed may be a factor in pursuit and also limits his ability to drop back into pass coverage required of some zone blitzes. The latter is what makes it likely the Texans will pass on him.

Despite the speed issues, Suggs should be an effective pass rusher. He has a quick first step, good agility, good hands and that little burst that is key to finishing off the sack. He would be my choice, though I wouldn't fret if they took Johnson.

Robertson is an outstanding athlete for his size, though he needs work on his technique. He would pair well with Bryant inside. His speed in the cone drill was astonishing for a player his size and this shows he has that exceptional speed and agility combination. I think either the Bears or the Texans will take him and probably the Bears.

I usually say, "beware of late rising players." His play did not equal his raw talent. He also had a string of injuries that may be a constant of his career. He likely will be a good, but not a great player. I wouldn't take him at six, but he would be a significant upgrade for the defensive line. He will get a few sacks and could well help Bryant get some too. However, if the Cards don't get an edge rusher, these two will not be a pass rushing force. If they do, the pair might develop nicely.

pinnacle

Reaction score
harry: thanks for the comments and continuing to post over here (on a cardinals board) even though you lost your cards contact...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your inside intelligence pretty much matches my take based on reading a lot.

One thing regarding Robertson was an "reading between the lines" observation by Kiper that at least one team might actually come to rate him #1 player in the draft.

The only thing that might throw the whole thing out of whack would be one or more trades ahead of us. And although this looks less and less likely, you never know whether, at the last minute, some team will pull a Ditka and offer Houston or the Bears the moon.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't think someone would offer the moon for Suggs, do you?
No. But they might offer the Bears the moon for a Leftwich or Johnson if he dropped below Houston. (Note - All it takes is one crazed owner or GM to propose a deal for something like that to happen).

And if they happened to take a player at #4 that, say, Dallas wanted, Parcells might then draft Suggs or trade the pick to someone who did.

Lots of things can still happen at the 5 slots ahead of us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn