RIP Jerry Foster (Long time Phoenix Helicopter Reporter)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jerry Foster, a pioneer in the Valley’s broadcast journalism industry, has died at age 82. Jerry was a helicopter reporter for 3TV in the 1970s and inspired many news stations nationwide to have their own sky coverage. Many Valley residents remember Jerry as “The King of the Wild Blue Sky” for his in-sky reporting in Arizona.

On Friday, Jerry’s wife, Linda, posted on Facebook saying that Jerry had passed:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jerry Foster, pioneering Arizona TV news pilot, dies at 82​

Jerry Foster, who became Phoenix’s first airborne television news personality and whose dramatic rescues garnered high ratings that helped convince news stations across the country to put helicopter pilots on television, has died. He was 82.

Though a television reporter, Foster became an adjunct accessory to law enforcement and fire agencies. He assisted police on manhunts. He flew firemen close over raging rivers to pluck people in distress out of the water.

In 1973, one of his first years of flying a helicopter, Foster flew a sheriff’s deputy over the desert east of Phoenix and found a missing 2-year-old boy. From then on, Foster vowed to never be more than 20 minutes away from his helicopter in case his services were needed.

In 1982, then-President Ronald Reagan gave Foster a medal for public service through aviation.

Foster, in a 2014 interview with The Arizona Republic, marveled that he was still alive to reflect on his life and bask in the nostalgia longtime Arizonans had for his 25-year broadcasting career. Foster wrote a biography called “Earthbound Misfit,” chronicling his adventures in and out of the cockpit.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
RIP. What a great career he I. I just reserved his book at the Desert Broom library.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in elementary school, he landed his Helicopter in our field. I don't seem to recall why but it was some thing they were doing at the school. All I remember is they made a big deal out of it.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
When I was in elementary school, he landed his Helicopter in our field. I don't seem to recall why but it was some thing they were doing at the school. All I remember is they made a big deal out of it.
Same here. Our principal was retiring and they did a big thing with him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson