Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per the wonderful Jim these are the only cards jerseys that are retired:

#8 Larry Wilson
#77 Stan Mauldin
#88 JV Cain
#99 Marshall Goldberg

Does anyone here feel that anyone else is worthy of such status and will have there # retired by the Bidwills?

I personally feel that it will be a crime if Aeneas Williams isnt retired. But I really cant think of anyone else off hand that would be worthy of such?

Maybe Jake Plummer? :)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Any Number between 1-10. So we don't ever think about drafting that high. :D

Jim O

Reaction score
I don't forsee any other jerseys being retired. This is due to the fact that they are starting to run out of numbers. The NFL has number codes to go with positions.

When Larry Wilson announced his retirement, Michael Bidwill mentioned that he will be one of the first ones inducted in the Cardinals "Ring of Fame" in the new stadium. I think that retired numbers will be few and far between. More and more teams are doing the "ring" thing.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score

Of course we all know that's Pace's new number and kerouac9 just mentioned retired.....oops....my bad....he said ********.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
I don't forsee any other jerseys being retired. This is due to the fact that they are starting to run out of numbers. The NFL has number codes to go with positions.

When Larry Wilson announced his retirement, Michael Bidwill mentioned that he will be one of the first ones inducted in the Cardinals "Ring of Fame" in the new stadium. I think that retired numbers will be few and far between. More and more teams are doing the "ring" thing.

Well then let me be the first to say that Williams should be right next to Larry Wilson in that ring!

Thanks Jim!

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have always thought Dan Dierdorf's #72 should have been retired by the Cardinals.

Enshrined in 1996
(Michigan)
TACKLE 6-3, 290
1971-1983, St. Louis Cardinals

DOB: 06/29/1949
Birthplace: Canton, OH
High School: Glenwood (Canton, OH)
Drafted: 2nd round (43rd overall) by St. Louis Cardinals in 1971.
Uniform Number: #72

Michigan All-America ... Possessed size, speed, quickness, discipline, intelligence, consistency ... Equally effective as passing, rushing blocker ... Right tackle who anchored line that led NFL three years, NFC five years in fewest sacks allowed ... All-Pro five years ... Played in six Pro Bowls ... Named best blocker three years by NFL Players Association.

Rest of 1996 Class: Lou Creekmur, Joe Gibbs, Charlie Joiner, Mel Renfro

Dan Dierdorf excelled as an offensive lineman for 13 seasons from 1971 through 1983. He seemed destined for stardom from the moment he joined the St. Louis Cardinals as a second-round choice and the 43rd player selected in the 1971 draft. Dierdorf, who had been a consensus All-America at Michigan in 1970, possessed size, speed, quickness, discipline, intelligence and consistency, all necessary attributes for an outstanding lineman.

The 6-3, 290-pounder from Canton, Ohio, where he was born on June 29, 1949, played both guard and tackle his first two seasons before settling down as the permanent right tackle in his third season. Dierdorf, who was equally effective as a blocker on both running and passing plays, was the ring-leader of the line that permitted the fewest sacks in the NFC for five straight years in the mid-1970s. In 1975, the Cardinals set a then-record by allowing only eight sacks in 14 games. Dierdorf proved his durability by playing in every game until a broken jaw forced him out of two games in his seventh season in 1977. In 1979, he did miss 14 of 16 games because of a dislocated left knee. However, he bounced back strongly in 1980 with another all-pro caliber season.

In 1982, Dierdorf unselfishly responded to a personnel emergency on the offensive line by agreeing to move to center. He not only made a smooth adjustment to the new position but he proved to be especially effective blocking against the bigger nose tackles of the new 3-4 defensive alignments he had to face. Dierdorf was all-pro five seasons - from 1975 to 1978 and again in 1980. He played in six Pro Bowl games, missing only once from 1974 through 1980. For three straight years from 1976 to 1978, he was picked as the best overall blocker in the NFL by the NFL Players Association

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I agree, Dierdorf's number above all others should be retired.

Above Larry Wilson? Or do you mean above any that are not retired already?

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When Larry Wilson announced his retirement, Michael Bidwill mentioned that he will be one of the first ones inducted in the Cardinals "Ring of Fame" in the new stadium. [/B]

Dang! a ring of fame would be so kicken! We need some identity here. The Cards have a lot of history but their stay in Az dooesn't. We need that.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
Dang! a ring of fame would be so kicken! We need some identity here. The Cards have a lot of history but their stay in Az dooesn't. We need that.

Geez! dooesn't? Thats a new word right? :rolleyes:

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by az643dp
Above Larry Wilson? Or do you mean above any that are not retired already?

those not already retired...I'd put Jackie Smith at #2 in that short list...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn