Reds @ Dback series thread July 7th - July 9th

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul 1.000 OPS Goldschmidt isn't elite. Man this place gets weird sometimes.

Last year's NL MVP put up a .221 avg and a .671 OPS over the final month. It's baseball, it happens.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is another way to look at it, and valid. Goldy started slow, but the Dbacks still played .600 ball.

In the Dbacks last 12 games, they have gone 4-8, and Goldy is hitting .186, with only two RBI's, 7 walks and 16 strikeouts. That is bad.

An MVP Candidate shouldn't have that bad of a slump.

This is rating him against a hypothetical "ideal" and not the actual players he's competing with. Of the top 4 NL players in WAR so far, I can find comparable slumps for each other them.

Rendon:
4/3 -4/19 (to start the season)

50 PA .191/.240/.234

Goldschmidt:
6/27 - 7/9

50 PA .186/.300/.395

Votto:
4/3 - 4/13 (to start the season)

42 PA .158/.214/.368

Harper:
5/24 - 6/7

42 PA .147/.286/.294

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That is another way to look at it, and valid. Goldy started slow, but the Dbacks still played .600 ball.

In the Dbacks last 12 games, they have gone 4-8, and Goldy is hitting .186, with only two RBI's, 7 walks and 16 strikeouts. That is bad.

An MVP Candidate shouldn't have that bad of a slump.

It seemed that for most of the first few months during the Dbacks success, it wasn't required for Goldy to be Superman in order for the team to win. They were getting widespread contributions from so many... however, the past 2+ weeks of the season, the entire offense shut down and it's in these slumping periods that we would love to see a guy like Goldy step up and carry the team. There may not be a bigger admirer of Goldy, not only the player but the man off the field... However, if I'm being honest, I would admit to having serious doubts about his ability to actually carry a team... To be "that guy" when the team truly requires "that guy" to pull them out of the doldrums and lead them to victories... I just haven't seen it a lot from the guy.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seemed that for most of the first few months during the Dbacks success, it wasn't required for Goldy to be Superman in order for the team to win. They were getting widespread contributions from so many... however, the past 2+ weeks of the season, the entire offense shut down and it's in these slumping periods that we would love to see a guy like Goldy step up and carry the team. There may not be a bigger admirer of Goldy, not only the player but the man off the field... However, if I'm being honest, I would admit to having serious doubts about his ability to actually carry a team... To be "that guy" when the team truly requires "that guy" to pull them out of the doldrums and lead them to victories... I just haven't seen it a lot from the guy.

This is what I am getting at. The team is slumping, and Goldy is slumping worse, instead of carrying the team. Multiple times in the last 12 games a hit, or even a ball in play scores a run, but Goldy struck out.

Stats are nice, but can be deceiving as well.

And yes, I would love for Goldy to be MVP.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Isn't it possible that his slumps always "seem to come at the wrong time" because he IS carrying the team, at least offensively?

If they came at the "right time" that means there are other players there to pick up the slack. Baseball isn't an individual sport.

Who is your MVP?

I think Seager might be the best player in the NL even though his power numbers are down. A 6'3" SS doing what he does though. :shock:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Lost 4 of the last 5.

Have scored 1 run in the last 19 innings.

Disgraceful.
Why do you only show up when things are going bad? We have had a great first half, better than ever expected, yet you were nowhere to be found. We lose a few games, and here come Mr gloom and doom. Why? It is like you are trolling. Don't believe it, go back and look at your DBack's posts.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When you do this every year, it is an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I love Goldy. But we tend to overvalue him

I get it, I wasn't trying to be argumentative, it was just a frustrating way to end the 1st half. :(

Why do you only show up when things are going bad? We have had a great first half, better than ever expected, yet you were nowhere to be found. We lose a few games, and here come Mr gloom and doom. Why? It is like you are trolling. Don't believe it, go back and look at your DBack's posts.
Unfortunately we have few lurkers like that who hope the team will suck just so they can be "right."

"Haha I was right they suck you guys were all idiots to be excited and have hope hahahah"

That's the internets for you, thanks a lot Al Gore... :(

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm at Friday's Front Row. This is what the field looks like today:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Professional baseball stadium....

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is it possible that this is part of the game the Dbacks brass is playing with the city? Make the stadium look as run down as possible? I'm not sure if the grounds crew is employed by the team or the stadium ownership group.

I noticed some of the bathrooms are in less than stellar shape as well, there are a couple of squares on the jumbo tron that are miscolored, etc. etc..

I mean, what other explanation is there? It's freaking Arizona in the summer and there is a whole crew who is employed full time to work on the turf...

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why on earth are they trying to repair the turf? Just tear it all out and start over. They have weeks to grow it all back in.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Why on earth are they trying to repair the turf? Just tear it all out and start over. They have weeks to grow it all back in.

I'm not an expert on grass (insert joke here) but it needs close to full sun to thrive. That is why the Cards field rolls south for maximum sun exposure and still they have some problems.

Look at the opening at Chase and the size of the field. Much of it gets inadequate sun.