Preseason Game 4: Cardinals vs. Titans Game Notes

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I will be doing a more, efficient breakdown of this game. Most of all because the game was a bit of a bore. If this was the tune up for the regular season, then I hope Whiz throws down another, "as many snaps as it takes" speech cause this team is not ready for NFL football on the offensive side of the ball. The Seahawks will maul us if we show up week one like the team did on the offensive side of the ball last night.

The defense, special teams, the running backs, and Larry Fitzgerald are ready for the regular season. I would be confident in this team if the other needed parts didn't look horrendous.

Did you know Patrick Peterson is the only player in NFL history to have 4 +80yd punt returns in one year ?

Start of Game:

1. Toler with a special teams tackle, and the defense forces a 3 & out on the 1st drive with Adrian Wilson (tackle), Dan Williams (batted down pass) making some plays. Paris Lenon and Reggie Walker were given the starts tonight with Stewart Bradley playing some OLB.

2. On offense Skelton gets killed because our LT, RT, and LG are beat on the play. Jeff King is back in as the starter, and Chris Wells is back, and looks solid, but it is hard to tell since the OL can't run block either.

3. John Skelton does what Skelton does, and overthrows a seam route for an INT. Just completely unacceptable.

4. Titans get the ball on the 20yd line, and score a TD. Defense did what it could, IMO. 7-0 Titans.

5. Back on offense Colledge gets beat again to ruin another running play. Cardinals go 3 & out.

6. On defense the team is playing well as a team against the run so it is hard to point anyone out. Flemming almost makes an INT. He is playing as the CB#2 with the 1st string on this play. Cardinals force a 3 & out.

7. Back on offense. Skelton with a 1st down pass to Jeff King. Colledge blown up again on a run, and Skelton misses an open Fitzgerald, and then misreads a play and the Cardinals have to punt. Skelton is not playing like a NFL starting QB, no fire, no focus.

8. Defense forces another 3 & out with Reggie Walker making a key play.

9. This offensive drive HAD promise. Skelton to Roberts, Wells with a 1st down run, Wells for 6yds running of Batiste, Heap drops a pass right in his hands for a 1st down (Heap has to be on the bubble at this point), DJ Young gets beat for Skelton sack. Cardinals kick FG. 7-3 Titans.

10. Back on offense. The defense played its usual bend but don't break, but broke. Peterson gets beat for a big gain, then William Gay gets torched for a TD. Outside the two big plays the defense still looks pretty good as a unit, but like most NFL team the secondary has to get settled.

11. 14-3 Titans are winning in the 2nd quarter. I have "This sux" written all over my notes. So, far even with the defense playing well this has been a deflating experience to watch.

12. On offense a 3 & out with Michael Floyd dropping a pass that hits him in the hands, and would have been a 3rd down. My biggest fear realized. We got the big bodied WR for 3rd down situations where we just need a catch to move the chains that I wanted. But, the ONE AND ONLY THING that can de-rail the thinking of this is that the big bodied WR cannot catch clutch passes. Michael Floyd does just that, and drops the one ball he needs to catch every time. UGH! Heralded for going up and catching balls....he drops this one. Cardinals punt.

13. Again the defense is playing well as a unit. The Titans move the ball a little but a good play by Brandon Williams, and good defense by William Gay hold the Titans to a FG. 17-3 Titans.

14. Enter Kevin Kolb at QB.

Skelton didn't do anything to inspire anyone to make him the starter. If the talk about Kolb winning practice time is true, then I can definately see Kolb being the front running in this race (justified or not) no matter what he does from this point on.

15. 1st series: DJ Young beaten for a sack, Batiste & Young beat for a sack. 3 & Out. Trent Dilfer starts calling our Whiz and his staff on the ESPN broadcast for not helping the tackles, and for just in general sucking. It is COMPLETELY justified since the Caridnal offense up to his point is an embarrassment.

12. Defense forces another 3 & out.

13. Batiste to LT, and Massie to RT
On offense, Ryan Williams with a good run, Kolb hits Fitz, then Snyder ruins a running play, Kolb lets ball slip out of his hand, it is batted, and Colledge catches it and runs for a 1st down. Kolb to Heap for a 1st down. Blok throws a horrible ball when he doesn't set his feet, and then throws a INT when throwing across his body, on the run, over the middle of the field.

14. The defesne stops another drive, and forces another punt. This is with no Daryl Washington. Walker, Lenon, and Bradley playing well. Too bad our offense can't do squat.

15. Cardinals get the ball back on the 2 minute drill. Kolb to Fitz, Kolb to Fitz, Kolb to Fitz. Batiste looks a lot better at LT, then Kolb to Roberts for a TD.
17-10 Titans at the half.

16. Powell with another nice kick return.

17. Kolb on the first play throws a pick six with the TE wide open. Horrible read, threw it right to the LB, who DID NOT have to make a "great play" he just had to catch the ball thrown right in his numbers. Horrible.
23-10 Titans (missed XP, bad kick). This sux!

18. Cardinals get the ball back. Kolb to Roberts, Kolb to Heap, Kolb to Roberts, Kolb to Fitz, Kolb to Floyd (finally), Powell with a run, Kolb to Floyd who doesn't run his route to the 1st down marker and makes it 4th & 1.

19. On 4th and 1 - Kolb to Heap for the 1st down.

20. Hold on Massie (questionable), Massie Beat for a pressure, and the Batiste beat for a sack. Cardinals kick a FG. 23-13 Titans.

21. The defense stalls another offensive drive for a punt.

22. - Ryan Lindley In -

Kolb was bi-polar. Still looks and plays like the Kevin Kolb we all know, but he had some success. But, two picks, one a pick-6 is not good. Yet, he has the practice edge on Skelton, the money edge on Skelton, the "experience" edge on Skelton, and now they both look similarly poor on game day. This is not a competition of who is better, this is a competition of who sucks less.

2nd team offensive line: Batiste-Kelemete-Ohrnberger-Bridges-Massie, and Potter comes in, in the 4th quarter at LT.

Titans force a 3 & out with good defense.

23. The Cardinals defense, AGAIN, stops the Titans and forces a punt. Again, there is not much to spot light. The defense is playing well as a team whether it is the 1st team or 2nd team.

24. William Powell with two decent runs. Steve Skelton with a drop that hit his hands. LaRon Byrd is back, and makes a nice catch as usual. Lindley then fumbles a snap, but comes back with a pass to Steve Skelton, and William Powell with another nice run.

24. Lindley throws a fade to Floyd in the endzone, Floyd looked very underwhelming on the play. Is his vertical 2" ? THIS is the physical presence ? Hey, I didn't like this pick, actually I loated it. I am trying to get behind Floyd but he looks very average. LaRon Byrd looks better, and Stephen Williams had more of a physical presence then Floyd.

25. William Powell for a TD run. That all being said Floyd, and Steve Skelton especially (setting edge) had great blocks on this run. 23-20 Titans.

26. Flipping Mitch. He gets a cookie this offseason. Batiste looks good at LT, and I have been secretly rolling my eyes about Zack Nash. So, of course he comes in, on his first game, and strips the football out on a KR, and it is recovered by LaRon Byrd.

27. Cardinals get the ball with good field position. Lindley with a good play, throwing the ball away. Lindley with a nice pass and catch to Stephen Williams. Hold on Isiah Williams. Horrible embarrassing throw by Lindley (right in the dirt).

28. Cardinals get a P.I. call for them, so it is 1st and goal again. Javarrus James with a run to the left side (Batiste, Massie) for a TD. 27-23 Cardinals.

29. The defense forces a punt AGAIN!!!! Ugh. Painful to watch this defense play so well with no support.

30. Jaymar Johnson fumbles the punt, and loses possesion. This guy is SO cut. Defense holds the Titans to a FG. 27-26 Cardinals.

31. Lindley on the next series gets sacked and fumbles the ball, which is lost. Potter beat on the play, but Massie didn't look to good either on it.

32. Blake Gideon over runs a play, and the Titans score on a TD run, go for 2, and do not convert. 32-27 Titans.

33. Lindley back on the field hits Steve Skelton twice and the Cardinals punt.

34. Cardinals force another 3 & out.

35. Fitz gives an interview on the sideline and gives Levi Brown a shout-out to get well soon. Cool stuff.

36. Lindley has the ball and time for a game winning drive. A couple of short passes, and a Massie holding penalty later, and the game is over.
32-27 Titans.

Story of the game:
Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm arrived in Arizona with the promise that they would solve the Arizona Cardinals' offensive line. Five years later, it might be the worst group in football.

1. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20120...ule=HP11_hot_topics#menu=highlights&tab=recap

2. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...rsday-nights-games?module=HP11_content_stream

Whiz/Grimm getting the heat they deserve right now.

Roster:
The final 53 ? Pretty much the same as last week:
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/post-preseason-game-3-rms-53-a-182959.html

My only exceptions is that I think Todd Heap is on the bubble, and that Steve Skelton may just sneak in. He is a much better blocker than I thought. Also, I would have to say D'Anthony Batiste is start at LT till someone beats him at the position, and Massie is going to be a RT till someone beats him at the position.

Cuts:
The Cardinals have to cut 15 player before the next game.

My cuts.

1. Javarris James, HB
2. Thomas Clayton, HB
3. Jared Crank, FB
4. Isaiah Williams, WR
5. Gino Crump, WR
6. Jaymar Johnson, WR
7. Tre Gray, WR
8. Martell Webb, TE
9. Russ Hochstein, OG
10. Scott Wedgie, OC
11. Tevita Finau, DE