Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Monday game thread 5-1-2023- Game 2

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is any of this Monty's fault. He can't make the baskets every single player missed tonight. They shot 40% from the field. That's horrible. That's not a coaching issue, that's a player issue.

What’s coaching is making adjustments when things aren’t working.

Hey how bout drawing up some plays to actually get to the basket? 6-29 from? Eh just keep chucking

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I sure hope you are correct. As bad as Monty has been, I'm not sure Jones hasn't been worse. Digging through NBA trash piles for "overachievers" that remind him of himself during his glorious NBA career. Meanwhile, sleeping on all the mid-season pickups that improved every other contender's bench.
Jones has become the Keim of the NBA....early success has clouded his deficiencies.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is any of this Monty's fault. He can't make the baskets every single player missed tonight. They shot 40% from the field. That's horrible. That's not a coaching issue, that's a player issue.
Well the coach could try some of the scorers we have in the freaking bench when no one is hitting ****! Monty sucks plain and Simple not sure how much more some of you need to see it’s been years of non adjustments and losing in the playoffs? Seriously…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right because we know how right THOSE GUYS are…
That’s not the point. I didn’t hear ANYWHERE a consensus the Suns were going to get a pass this season and really looking to next season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is not Monty's fault KD couldn't hit a shot and he's forced to play guys like Landale and Ish Wainwright in the second round because there's no size behind KD and Ayton. He's playing the hand he was dealt. He's got a short handed team with zero depth. It's worse than zero depth now because one of the few guys who is a legit bench player, has to start just so we can roll out 5 NBA players.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just asking for a friend, so we lost 2 games on the road and the series is over. Didn’t we go up 2-0 the last 2 years and lost both series? Oh ye of little faith. :)
Love the positivity but we are NOT Giannis and the Bucks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. KD was/is the right move.

The rest of the roster moves however…

The coaching has been an issue masked by talent and some fortunate playoff injuries for 2+ years.

James Jones did a terrible job of filling out the roster after emptying the cupboard.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This.

This season was lost in the off-season when our just humiliated team not only jettisoned two pieces of depth but only added Josh Okogie, Jock Landale and Courtney Lee.

In the immortal words of Logan Roy, James Jones and Monty “are not serious people.”
We have no cap space, and no draft picks. You are expecting miracles.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We don’t have a single role player worth anything in the playoffs. It’s embarrassing. That’s on James jones.

Our offense has zero structure. And Monty is just throwing things at the wall widely with his rotations. That’s, not surprisingly, on monty. He sucks. Malone isn’t better, but Malone has a surgeon on the court in jokic so he doesn’t have to be good.

The 44 and 45 minutes are catching up with book and KD. That and the fact they have to play through waves of defense because no one else can hit the board side of a barn.

Ayton just getting undressed by jokic. Anyone thinking Ayton was going to slow down or offset jokic had no idea who he is. And by “he” I mean take your pick, you don’t know Ayton and you don’t know jokic.

Did I mention how bad our role players are? I’d keep Craig and okogie, but I wouldn’t have them high in the rotation next year. They’re just too limited. Everyone else can go. Payne is done. Whatever flash of magic he had is confirmed Just a flash.

And KD just still doesn’t look like KD.

And as great as jokic is, man they let him get away with a lot of offensive fouls and over the back and little push offs. It’s a shame because he doesn’t need that to be great.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That’s not the point. I didn’t hear ANYWHERE a consensus the Suns were going to get a pass this season and really looking to next season.
Huh? Stop putting words in my mouth. We had a shot, sure, but come one, did you REALLY think we could do it this year with the small number of games KD has played?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can bash him for rotation...sure. However, when you have arguably 3 of the top 100 NBA players, all time, on the court together, they need to be held accountable. How often would Phil Jackson let his stars play through adversity? All the damn time, because they were mentally tough and he knew they could fight through and right the ship more often than not. Phoenix has really never ever had that player mentality consistently in their history.
Saying we have 3 of the top 100 players on the court together is about the same as ripping Phil Jackson when he couldn't win it all despite having 4 of the top 100 players (Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Shaq and Kobe not to mention Horace Grant). CP3 used to be great, now he's nowhere close to it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Coaches still have to adjust. Monty stopped playing Shamet, which is good but whats his excuse for Lee?
Right. As soon as you realize Lee can’t hit the broadside of a barn you gotta go to someone else. Give Ross a shot. You gotta find someone who can hit an open 3.

AzCardsfan76

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Horrible rotations/roster management. Zero, and I mean absolutely zero adjustments or set plays when things started off shakey in the 4th, just let his players continue to spiral out of control. He’s a great man, a great leader of men, but he’s a horrible X’s and O’s coach, really a clueless tactician when facing adversity. This has been the case for the last 3 years in a row now. He’s done. Love the man but it’s time to move on.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones did a terrible job of filling out the roster after emptying the cupboard.
i disagree find all the vet min guys who were available who were better. There might be a couple league wide, but you aren’t going to build a good bench with vet min salaries. You need to develop draft picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes zero sense to have Ayton on this team next season.
He’s making $30 million per… Looney makes $7 million per. Who would you prefer to have? Super easy to answer this question.

The question is, what can the Suns get in return if they trade Ayton.

However, make no mistake, the Suns have much, much worse problems than Ayton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes zero sense to have Ayton on this team next season.
He’s making $30 million per… Looney makes $7 million per. Who would you prefer to have? Super easy to answer this question.

Considering Ayton averages more in pretty much every stat Ayton. Lol Looney had a really good game now he’s a star

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Saying we have 3 of the top 100 players on the court together is about the same as ripping Phil Jackson when he couldn't win it all despite having 4 of the top 100 players (Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Shaq and Kobe not to mention Horace Grant). CP3 used to be great, now he's nowhere close to it.
My point is these guys, even if physically washed, should still know how to run an offense and get others open. They have failed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson