OT: StubHub royally screws a guy out of Lakers tickets

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A guy buys tickets before Kobe announces his retirement in anticipation that it may be his last game as a Laker. He paid 900 bucks for four seats for him and his buddies. 1 month later Kobe announces his retirement, and the tickets jumped to 6000 dollars for the 4 seats. StubHub cancels his order with no real reason why and refunds his money.

Absolutely insane! I will avoid StubHub from here on out. This is a shady company.

"IT ALSO MEANS THAT NO TICKETS YOU EVER BUY ON STUBHUB – EVER –ARE ACTUALLY YOUR TICKETS. THE SELLER CAN JUST CHANGE HIS MIND AT ANY TIME AND TAKE THEM BACK. THIS MAKES NO SENSE AND REVEALS THEIR ENTIRE OPERATION AS A COMPLETE SHAM."

http://www.theleadsports.com/the-surreal-story-of-stubhub-screwing-over-a-kobe-fan/

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would buy the same seats to another game to find out who the season ticket holder is who owns them, then sue the living **** out of him.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that even legal??

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read in the comments that another broker, ticketsforless.com, hooked him up with four free tickets to the game.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stubhub is now saying that they will take care of him.

https://twitter.com/StubHub/status/684906796813697024

The problem is with the whole process. The ticket holder offers the tickets at a certain price on Stub Hub. The tickets are purchased but the seller doesn't have to turn over his tickets right away. I'm not sure if it is some NBA/Stub Hub rule, if the seller didn't have the tickets yet or whatever. Kobe announces his retirement and the value of the tickets shoots up dramatically. If the seller changes their minds, they are charged a 20% fee and Stub Hub tries to get the buyer comparable seats. The 20% fee is nothing with the massive increase in the value of the tickets and there are no comparably priced tickets for Stub Hub to get. So in that case the buyer is out of luck. It's a fairly rare occurrence but it is a major hole in the Stub Hub process.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happened after Jeter announced his retirement as well.

And, from reading comments, isn't that uncommon

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read in the comments that another broker, ticketsforless.com, hooked him up with four free tickets to the game.

In the immortal words of the Dead: One man gathers what another man spills.

That company prob just got a customer for life.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
United Airlines is famous for this kind of crap. I've bought tix well in advance at a lower rate for a certain flight only to be notified about a week before leaving that my flight has been 'changed'. Then they move me to the red eye or some BS like that so they can sell my seat to someone else at a higher price. They are unapologetic about it and they've done it more than once and I'll never fly with them again if I can avoid it.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I buy a ticket on StubHub I buy the download now tickets. I never buy the UPS mail tickets. Do that and you will be fine.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It's a scary ticket world today & everything else in life in most cases. Sad. When we make the Super Bowl be careful ladies & gents :pullhair:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine (which is a Packers fan) scalped tickets for the Cards/Packers game and they went to get in the game and the tickets were counterfeit. They later found the guy and got the cops involved, but apparently there was nothing they could do. Tickets are so easy to duplicate now, so I would never buy tickets from a scalper because of that

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Someone's gonna get court side or box seats to the game

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
A buddy of mine (which is a Packers fan) scalped tickets for the Cards/Packers game and they went to get in the game and the tickets were counterfeit. They later found the guy and got the cops involved, but apparently there was nothing they could do. Tickets are so easy to duplicate now, so I would never buy tickets from a scalper because of that

Well that was one less packers fan in the stadium that day

OP
OP
unseenaz

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We shot an airball?

IE: We got publically caught being D-bags, but rest assured, we would've kept doing it if everyone werent yelling at us

right? if it weren't for the online attention this never would have been corrected - hence the guy saying he talked to several reps and spent hours on the phone with stubhub. it's just damage control to their image at this point. if i'm him, i'm telling stubhub to take a hike, and taking the other offers he has

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
right? if it weren't for the online attention this never would have been corrected - hence the guy saying he talked to several reps and spent hours on the phone with stubhub. it's just damage control to their image at this point. if i'm him, i'm telling stubhub to take a hike, and taking the other offers he has

He did. The president of Tickets for Less gave them to him personally.

https://twitter.com/theleadsports/status/685248322035027968

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely insane! I will avoid StubHub from here on out. This is a shady company.
If you've ever bought tickets from them you know.. I've only ever used them twice back before the leagues had their own exchanges like now.

The fee's they charged were beyond stupid.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The tickets were the originals which became void once they were sold and or transferred on the ticket exchange.