OT: Broncos sitting Wilson

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares? He’s a Bronco
I care, its about the integrity of the game. Wilson gives them the best chance at making the playoffs and the are sitting him in case he gets hurt and they have to pay him because of it. That's not football and as a fan of football, it hurts the league.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I care, its about the integrity of the game. Wilson gives them the best chance at making the playoffs and the are sitting him in case he gets hurt and they have to pay him because of it. That's not football and as a fan of football, it hurts the league.
This time of year, a bunch of players and organizations are making business decisions and not football decisions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading Kyler creates more cap space next year.
I thought I saw people say that earlier this year.

If that’s the case, and we can get a 2nd and change, I pull the trigger, get a stopgap, surround them with all the draft picks and guys we can bring in with cap room and try to find your QB either after the first round this year or sometime next year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
its interesting:

trading him puts $45mm in dead money into the cap, BUT, adds to salary cap space by $5.6mm

the acquiring team would be on the hook for the following salaries:

24 $37mm (nearly all guaranteed)
25 $18mm
26 $23 mm
27 $19mm

the Cards could probably enhance his trade compensation by paying some portion of the 2024 guarantee ( but that would take salary cap space / add to the dead money)

so lets say the Cards agree to eat $20mm of the $37mm in 2024 salary -- that effectively creates a contract that averages $19mm a year (very reasonable) for a young QB. Acquiring team gets a year to kick the tires and can decide post 2024 to keep him or not.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Wilson getting benched, only Bryce Young and Kyler Murray remain as starting NFL QBs who are under 6 feet in height. Bryce has played all season and has one game with over 250 yards (in a loss). Average QB height in the league is 6 feet 2.5 inches.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its interesting:
trading him puts $45mm in dead money into the cap, BUT, adds to salary cap space by $5.6mm
the acquiring team would be on the hook for the following salaries:
24 $37mm (nearly all guaranteed)
25 $18mm
26 $23 mm
27 $19mm

the Cards could probably enhance his trade compensation by paying some portion of the 2024 guarantee ( but that would take salary cap space / add to the dead money)

so lets say the Cards agree to eat $20mm of the $37mm in 2024 salary -- that effectively creates a contract that averages $19mm a year (very reasonable) for a young QB. Acquiring team gets a year to kick the tires and can decide post 2024 to keep him or not.
Exactly. I don't see how we can trade Kyler, and be cap positive next year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilson was benched After playing really good in the second half of the season
Likely a financial thing coming after a verbal fighting with Peyton who has full powers there

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't see how we can trade Kyler, and be cap positive next year.

It certainly isn't something new...

Wilson will have a massive hit in 2024 (potentially bigger than Kyler's)

Matt Ryan - $40M (2022 and Falcons are in the playoff hunt in 2023)
Aaron Rodgers - $40M (2023 and Green Bay is right there with the Falcons)
Carson Wentz - $34M (20% of Eagles cap space and they made the playoffs that year (2021) and won the Super Bowl the next year)
Russell Wilson - $26M in 2022 (Seahawks still go to playoffs that year with Geno Smith)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Carson Wentz - $34M (20% of Eagles cap space and they made the playoffs that year (2021) and won the Super Bowl the next year)
Russell Wilson - $26M in 2022 (Seahawks still go to playoffs that year with Geno Smith)
To be clear, I meant considering Kyler's salary alone. We are expected to have 35-50M in salary cap next year so there should a bit of free money, but only if we trade him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. The cap hit shouldn’t/wont keep the Cards from moving on.

What will hinder a trade is the trade compensation. Every team that has acquired a high priced veteran via trade has regretted it and overpaid.