On Second Thought------------

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe signing Emmitt Smith to a contract with the Cards is not such a bad idea. If Emmitt still has any gas left in his tank (and I believe he does), what would be wrong with putting him and Shipp in the backfield at the same time. This team could rely on the run as it's main weapon, especially important if we have to use a young QB. <p> Imagine Emmitt gliding through those big holes our healthy OL would make for him, changing directions, making guys miss tackles and ocassionally breaking it for a big gain. Or having the mighty Shipp barreling into those holes running over anything in a wrong colored jersey, playing smash mouth football like a run away freight train. Who does the opposition set up for? Who gets the ball on this down? A constant battering of the Dline for the opposition, the Cards hanging onto the ball and keeping our D off the field. Protecting a lead???<p>Oh well----------I can dream, can't I????

football24/7

Registered
Reaction score
With all due respect, I would rather spend the money on another position of need. WR, DE, ANd DT are bigger areas of concern. Not to mention the gaping hole at QB.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
"Though all-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith might still have the body and the heart to succeed in the NFL, several teams that otherwise might be interested in the sure-fire Hall-of-Famer have been scared off by his mind and his mouth.

A league source tells us that there's a perception in some circles that Emmitt is a "me-first" guy, who puts his own interests and goals ahead of the team's objectives.

They might have a point. Two seasons ago, when the Cowboys were attempting to do a silk-purse/sow's-ear routine with one of the fifteen or so quarterback who were on the roster at one time or another, Emmitt mouthed off about the necessity to win now (when he's in Big D), not in the future (when he'll be gone)."

Another league source put it even more bluntly -- "Who needs that sh-t?"

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Emmitt mouthed off about the necessity to win now (when he's in Big D), not in the future (when he'll be gone)."

I assume the part in parenthesis is an interpretation. I would hope that everyone in the NFL stresses the need to win now and not in the future. I think this is a misinterpretation of someone's words. I think the Cards need a lot more people willing to put the sense of urgency on winning ASAP and not the mythical "future". As the Cards have shown, if you don't put the effort in to win now, the future may be a lot farther off than you think.

(I say the last sentence because at this time last year, most people were talking about how the 2003 season was supposed to be what the Cardinals were building to. Now we're praying that the McCown to Kasper connection isn't the best that we have to look forward to come September.)

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
My only objection is I would hate to see Shipp have to take a seat for Emmitt, I really like what I see in that kid and I wouldn't want his development slowed so Emmitt can hit 20,000 yards.

I only say that about Shipp having to take a seat, because of Emmitt's insistance on starting.

And I think it would be wiser to spend the money filling bigger needs.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Section 11
screw emmitt. no way do we need him.
<p>Section 11----quit beating around the bush and tell me what you really mean:D

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigJoe
I assume the part in parenthesis is an interpretation. I would hope that everyone in the NFL stresses the need to win now and not in the future. I think this is a misinterpretation of someone's words. I think the Cards need a lot more people willing to put the sense of urgency on winning ASAP and not the mythical "future". As the Cards have shown, if you don't put the effort in to win now, the future may be a lot farther off than you think.

(I say the last sentence because at this time last year, most people were talking about how the 2003 season was supposed to be what the Cardinals were building to. Now we're praying that the McCown to Kasper connection isn't the best that we have to look forward to come September.)

Joe: I would certainly like to win now but with all our holes and no big time player how would you propose we do it? At the moment we are no better than last year and probably worse. I know we will sign some players but just how many good players are there out there to sign that could turn this team into an immediate contender?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by HarleyRider
My only objection is I would hate to see Shipp have to take a seat for Emmitt, I really like what I see in that kid and I wouldn't want his development slowed so Emmitt can hit 20,000 yards.

I only say that about Shipp having to take a seat, because of Emmitt's insistance on starting.

And I think it would be wiser to spend the money filling bigger needs.

I would also much rather see what Damien Anderson and Scobey can do than take away chances from them just to try and convert some Cowboy fans into Cardinal fans...which is what I truly believe this is about.

I agree. The money can be spent filling some of these glaring holes.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much that can turn what's left of the Cards in to contenders at this point. Maybe if they sign Colvin, Okeafor, Thornton, Holliday and all these guys turn out to be decent to good players and they pick up Griese and he turns out to be better than average and they draft the WR from Miami and he turns out to be the only rookie wideout other than Randy Moss recently to make a significant impact and they pick up an instant starter at C or G in the draft and all of the young talent develops and matures, maybe then the Cards are a contender. (Note: I'm not saying all these things should happen, I'm just creating a possible scenario)

My original point is that what makes Emmitt is so great is that he wants to do what it takes to win and be successful right now. That kind of mindset is the difference between champions and also-rans. My personal opinion is that if the Cards sign Emmitt, it is nothing but a dog and pony show to sell tickets and I am against it. However, I have nothing but respect for the man and I don't think that someone who publicly says he wants the team to focus on winnning in the short term is somehow a cancer or a bad guy.