New Miami Marlins logo

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The hat looks like something you could buy in the souvenir shop at Disneyland.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I actually don't think the logo is all that terrible on the jersey but on the hat for some reason its just a mess. Maybe its too big? Too many colors? I dunno.

D'backs fans really can't cast too many stones though, even though I wear it with pride, our caps are among the worst in the MLB as is the team name. "Arizona Diamondbacks"---was it a name the team contest or a "see how many syllables we can get into the team name" contest? Still wish they would've just adopted the local AAA name/colors/etc like the Angels and Padres did, Phoenix Firebirds was awesome.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Still wish they would've just adopted the local AAA name/colors/etc like the Angels and Padres did, Phoenix Firebirds was awesome.
The Phoenix Firebirds were the Phoenix Giants for years, as the AAA team of San Fran.

Their name was changed to Firebirds when it was rumored that the SF Giants would move to Phoenix, because they did not want the Major League team to have the same name as the Minor League team right before them.

If the D'backs (less syllables) had been named the Firebirds, our expansion Major League team would have carried over the Minor League name. 'Not a good marketing move for a new Major League, despite the Angels and Padres doing it.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Supposedly we were to be named the Scorpions; it was the overwhelming favorite of the ownership group, but Colangelo overuled it and went with the Diamondbacks as well as the teal and purple.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Phoenix Firebirds were the Phoenix Giants for years, as the AAA team of San Fran.

Their name was changed to Firebirds when it was rumored that the SF Giants would move to Phoenix, because they did not want the Major League team to have the same name as the Minor League team right before them.

If the D'backs (less syllables) had been named the Firebirds, our expansion Major League team would have carried over the Minor League name. 'Not a good marketing move for a new Major League, despite the Angels and Padres doing it.

I know they were the Giants, I have a PHX Giants hat. "D'backs" sounds HORRID, its easily one of the worst names in American pro sports. It sounds awfully close to "d bags" a short hand for an insult.

Why on Earth would it "not be a good marketing move"? Just because you say so or...? Im not really following...it worked fine for the Padres & Angels, it builds on a tradition already present in the City.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why on Earth would it "not be a good marketing move"? Just because you say so or...? Im not really following...it worked fine for the Padres & Angels, it builds on a tradition already present in the City.
'Just speaking for myself. I guess because, as a Dodger fan originally, I hated the Giants and, to me, the name Firebirds was just an extension of that.

It conjures up thoughts of me sitting behind home plate at Muni when Matt Williams (pre-D'backs) was sent down by the Giants and struck out three times.

I yelled out, "Williams, you stink!", while he was on-deck. Boy, did I get a glare.

Rocky Bridges, their colorful manager (originally a Dodger), really put on a show. So I guess the image of Popeye led me to be happy with a new name for our Major League team, even though it would have evidently been the Arizona Firebirds, not the Phoenix Firebirds.

And, no, it never dawned on me to think of our N.L. team as the Arizona Douchebags. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
And, no, it never dawned on me to think of our N.L. team as the Arizona Douchebags. :)

Well I was in HS when the D'backs were formed, so needless to say a lot of teen boys made the connection.

Plus, due to my age, I don't really associate with the Phx "Giants" so much. I always remember them as the Firebirds, I think the name change happened when I was around 3. Growing up when my family would travel out of state if anyone asked what my favorite baseball team was, I'd always reply "The Firebirds", I didn't really think to thus become a Giants fan...I was just into the Firebirds unto themselves.

Also, I HATE the "Arizona" (or any state) naming scheme for pro teams. Leave that for the college boys, take pride in your City and go with the Cities name. I hate that the D'backs don't have a hat that reps PHX. Think about how Yankees, Royals, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc. hats really are associated with those cities. People wear Dodgers hats often times more as an "LA" hat than a "Dodgers" hat, I guess I'm just jealous of that.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Also, I HATE the "Arizona" (or any state) naming scheme for pro teams.
I agree with you. I am sure it was done so the three major areas -- The Old Pueblo and Flag as well as Phoenix -- would identify with, and support, the D'backs. They did the same thing with the Cardinals.

Whether they play in Tempe or Glendale, it is the Phoenix metro area (the Salt River Valley) that dominates the State. And in this case, it is not just the Capitol, it is by far the largest of the cities.

As you said, universities are a different story, with NAU, ASU and UofA each representing northern, central and southern Arizona. Yuma and Lake Havasu City are as close to San Diego or L.A. as they are to Phoenix.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Albert Pujols will looks so nice in those uni's. (Word is that the Marlins put in an offer to him. Need to sell out that new stadium.)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
they have an offer into pujols, reyes, buehrle & Madson

they are expected to pursue Cespedes (cuban defector - CF) fairly strongly

I don't think they think they can sign pujols - but apparently the offer wasn't a joke .... it has been described as substantial

Right now what seems most likely is that they sign Reyes and make a very strong play for Cespedes (they may be tested from larger market teams for him though)

Pujols will sign elsewhere

Madson will be too expensive for them given his role

I think they would love to have buehrle and depending how the rest of the moves work out may make a trade or two and try to get some additional SP

Will be a fun off season though