Justice Dept. Sues Apple and Publishers Over E-Book Pricing

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...-apple-and-publishers-over-e-book-pricing/?hp

Interesting.

How many here use E-Books ?

I just, like a month ago, got an electronic device that lets me use E-Books. Funny thing is when I looked at the price of an E-Book, I laughed, and then bought the book for significantly less in paper.

Yet, I then went back, and bought a book "just to have" on my phone in case I am stuck some where. Having a book on your phone is great and all, but in most cases I prefer reading from a paper book.

Don't know. The change from tapes/cd's to MP3's made more sense then E-books to me. Recorded music always needs a battery, but books made of paper never need a re-charge.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
That is very interesting. I have a nook and my daughter has a kindle. Just reciently I found out (and to my surprise) that books were a few dollars cheaper on the kindle. This helps to explain why.

In the end I don't think it matters much. I have found that I prefer to read on my Nook rather then an actual book. (I was shocked) I don't comparison shop for the books as I never really considered it an option.

I don't for a second doubt that the publishers were working together to fix the prices of ebooks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid Justice Dept. Please focus on finishing the Full Tilt Poker case before starting this one. Argh!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to find out that the Game of Thrones 4 book set could be purchased for $19.99 on paperback, but cost $29.99 to buy the E-Reader version.

That just doesn't make sense. I purchased the paperback copy but didn't have an E-Reader back then.

Now that I do have a Kindle Fire I love it! However I think it is wrong that they charge less for a paper back that requires a) paper, printing, and packaging, b) shipping and c)shelf space. Then compare that to a Kindle copy that can be instantly downloaded over the internet for less than a penny.

I guess it's no different that what they do with printers. Give you the printer for practically free and then charge you $50 for a refill cartridge.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was shocked to find out that the Game of Thrones 4 book set could be purchased for $19.99 on paperback, but cost $29.99 to buy the E-Reader version.

That just doesn't make sense. I purchased the paperback copy but didn't have an E-Reader back then.

Now that I do have a Kindle Fire I love it! However I think it is wrong that they charge less for a paper back that requires a) paper, printing, and packaging, b) shipping and c)shelf space. Then compare that to a Kindle copy that can be instantly downloaded over the internet for less than a penny.

I guess it's no different that what they do with printers. Give you the printer for practically free and then charge you $50 for a refill cartridge.

Read about the lawsuit. It's the publishers that are setting these absurd prices for e-books not Amazon or any of the other companies that sell the e-readers (other than Apple). Amazon, for example, had much lower prices on their books until Jobs got together with some of the publishers and they established a pricing scheme designed to limit Amazon's position in the book marketplace.

Steve

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read about the lawsuit. It's the publishers that are setting these absurd prices for e-books not Amazon or any of the other companies that sell the e-readers (other than Apple). Amazon, for example, had much lower prices on their books until Jobs got together with some of the publishers and they established a pricing scheme designed to limit Amazon's position in the book marketplace.

Steve

Wow I just read the article. Now I fully understand my hatred for Apple. :mad:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow I just read the article. Now I fully understand my hatred for Apple. :mad:

Yeah, I'm still steamed about it and I've known about it (in general, not the specifics) since well before I bought my Kindle. I'm an avid reader (at least 10 books per week) and because of the unjustifiably high costs I've been mostly restricting my reading to self-published books at the behest of my personal financial advisor (my wife - she advises me when I deplete our finances).

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard