ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On fox 10 9:00 news...sports section 9:50~

Says he's shopped around and his interest is here

What do you think?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Says he's shopped around and his interest is here. What do you think?

By now, we should all have learned to let events come to us rather than to get all hot and sweaty about what might happen.

It'll happen when it happens - if it happens.

Til then, I'm busy trying to get the defensive position draft webpages ready to post on the BRS.

(And checking over here several times daily on the Emmitt status - heh heh)

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OK, I'll play devil's advocate, why would a guy (Bill Parcells) who used a RB by the name of Otis Anderson (former Cardinal) to help him win a Super Bowl not try to keep the NFL's leading rusher Emmitt Smith? I think #1 might be is this quest for 20K yards, though the jury is still out on whether the new offense is going to be any better than last year. If we don't score early & give the ball to Emmitt in the 2nd half he will not be happy. Which brings me to point #2 and that might be "sharing" his unhappiness with his younger teammates. Bill Parcell's has a couple of rings already, the only ring the Cardinals have is around the collar.

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCityCarl
OK, I'll play devil's advocate, why would a guy (Bill Parcells) who used a RB by the name of Otis Anderson (former Cardinal) to help him win a Super Bowl not try to keep the NFL's leading rusher Emmitt Smith? I think #1 might be is this quest for 20K yards, though the jury is still out on whether the new offense is going to be any better than last year. If we don't score early & give the ball to Emmitt in the 2nd half he will not be happy. Which brings me to point #2 and that might be "sharing" his unhappiness with his younger teammates. Bill Parcell's has a couple of rings already, the only ring the Cardinals have is around the collar.

One reason is that Emmitt was set to make an obscene amount of money this year if he were to stay with the Cowboys.

Reaction score
It seems that Parcells always trys to Build a team with himself as the main focus and spotlight and I don't think that he would want to share it with Emmitt.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One reason is that Emmitt was set to make an obscene amount of money this year
Another reason is that the Felons are more than one veteran player away from a Super Bowl.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"One reason is that Emmitt was set to make an obscene amount of money this year if he were to stay with the Cowboys."

OK Jim why not restructure? Lets face it thru the 90's Aikman/Smith/Irvin. If Parcells thought Emmitt would help him win why not even an offer to restructure? Something just ain't "right" with this..

Troy Hambrik?

Though I'm sure he is talented..

Who replaced Tony Dorsett on the Cowboys?

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCityCarl
OK Jim why not restructure?

I don't know. I am not Jerry Jones and I am sure that it is not that simple. I, like most others, don't know the half of it when it comes to contracts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
I don't know. I am not Jerry Jones and I am sure that it is not that simple. I, like most others, don't know the half of it when it comes to contracts.

I believe Jerry said something about this at Emmitt's press conference. I think that basically Emmitt had too much pride to play for the minimum, with no deferred salary or "bonus" on re-negotiating, and be relegated to a back-up role under the Parcell's regime.

Something similar happened when Aikman retired a couple years ago. He could either retire or be released, because his salary was ridiculous. Emmitt was in the same position, and still had on-field goals or something, so he moved on. He didn't get offers for more than the minimum and the chance to maybe compete for the starter's job (like in TB), but probably have to be a backup or a cog in a RB-by-committee system. He apparently wasn't interested in that, and no contender wanted to make him the starter.

For what it's worth, I think that Emmitt now v. Marcel now is kind of a wash, and if Marcel can learn from Emmitt and not put too much wear on his tires, then it's fine, because I think that Emmitt might be too discouraged after this year if he only gains 975 yards again this year, and the Cards don't go better than 7-9 (with a strong finish, maybe 3-0 to end the season), and he'll retire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard