Joe Johnson Turns Down Extension Offer From the Atlanta Hawks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did we bet about the Knicks signing free agents?

Didn't we bet that at least one marquee free agent would go to the knicks?

Lebron, Wade, Bosh, JJ, or Amare.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Johnson will probably get the max elsewhere but I doubt that Hawks fans will miss him much. A lot of Suns fans lament the loss of Joe but in the long run I think we're better off without him and so will the Hawks be. They'll let Joe walk, hire a real coach and be a much better team next year. People can rave about his defense all they want but he has no head and no heart and he's the team captain on the most dysfunctional squad I've ever seen. He's talented but that chemistry didn't go south without his help. Once he's gone maybe we'll discover that the problem is Josh Smith, Marvin Williams or Woody but Joe wanted his own ship and that's the price of ownership.

Steve

Last edited:

Sporty Sports

Reaction score
That is odd considering he wanted to stay in Atlanta. At least that's what he says. He might just be trying to get more money out of Atlanta with other offers coming in July. I'd love to see him in an uptempo style again with Mike D'Antoni in New York. He'd be a statistical stud.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
J.A. Adande, ESPN.com

1. Joe Johnson, Atlanta
"The postseason is when players are made in this league. ... The best players step up."
Who said that? Joe Johnson, before the playoffs started. Who hasn't stepped up? Joe Johnson, the further the playoffs have gone. So far he's shooting 29 percent and averaging 12.3 points per game in the second round.
He was supposed to be a non-LeBron Plan B in free agency this summer. After this performance, why would anyone plan to spend big money on him?
Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com

1. Joe Johnson, Atlanta
He hasn't looked like anything approaching a max player, which is what Johnson has been described as heading into this summer's free-agent market. And he disrespected Hawks fans by saying he didn't much care what they thought.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?page=DisappointingPlayers-100510

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he got the coach fired in ATL.

Joe may very well be a coach killer but I think Woodson earned his exit on his own merit. That was just a poorly coached team and it has been for at least 6 years. They are absolutely loaded with talent and if Phil Jackson had been coaching them they'd be going for at least their 2nd championship IMO.

Only twice have I watched a team play and wondered year in and year out how the coach kept his job. Dunleavy finally got the axe and now it's Woody's turn.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Johnson's price tag dropping?
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe, but a few years back he landed an unjustified contract because he was the best chance for a losing franchise to make a big splash. Something like that might occur again if the right/wrong franchise misses out on this year's FA shopping spree.

I still maintain that he's not even good enough to be your number 2 guy if you're really hoping to contend. Not unless he's paired with one of the absolute best players and shadowed by a solid supporting cast. OTOH, he's an excellent 3rd option especially because he can do more than score.

Steve

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet, the teams who lose out on James and Wade will get into a bidding war for Johnson's services. As is, I'm convinced James and Wade are staying pat. I think Chicago and New York vie for Johnson's services.

He's getting a max contract, its just a matter of who the team shelling it out will be.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet, the teams who lose out on James and Wade will get into a bidding war for Johnson's services. As is, I'm convinced James and Wade are staying pat. I think Chicago and New York vie for Johnson's services.

He's getting a max contract, its just a matter of who the team shelling it out will be.

I think that will drive up his price and possibly allow him to get overpaid. However, I would be shocked if he got Max. I just don't see it IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job good effort JJ. Game 7 at home: JJ goes 2-14. Oops.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard