It's Beginning to look a lot like 2000

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
In light of the Redskins flurry of signings and the Cardinals reluctance to get involved in the market, it's reminded me of how the NFL salary standings looked in 2000.
This is a list NFL expenditures, which incorporates all salaries and bonuses, so you can see how much a team was loading up for that given year. For example, in 2003 Coles $13 million bonus would count as $13 million on the expenditure list.
In 2000, if you remember, the Redskins signed a boatload of veterans (Jeff George, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith) to a boatload of money.

Here's the list of salary expenditures for 2000:

Keep in mind, the salary cap for 2000 was $62.2 million

Washington $92.407
Baltimore $90.703
Detroit $78.376
St. Louis $77.648
Jacksonville $76.999
Tampa Bay $76.849
Indianapolis$76.108
Chicago $73.095
Miami $72.379
Buffalo $71.226
Philadelphia $70.565
Cleveland $70.285
Oakland $69.784
N.Y. Jets $69.686
Tennessee $69.666
Kansas City $69.331
Cincinnati $68.615
Atlanta $66.773
San Diego $62.456
New Orleans$62.368
Carolina $62.088
Dallas $61.217
Pittsburgh $61.090
San Francisco $60.186
Seattle $59.274
Minnesota $59.199
Denver $57.945
New England $57.481
N.Y. Giants $57.308
Green Bay $55.720
Arizona $55.304

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Go

The Cards' reluctance to get in the free agent market? That is a pretty dumb statement. They've brought quite a few people in, made some contract offers to a few, and are going from there. How is that reluctance to get in the market?

adam
________
Fix Ps3

Last edited:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
reluctance to get in the market?
I fail to see how you can say that.
They haven't been standing still doing nothing, its just that there are no signings as of yet, they can only control so much, without being totally foolish in how they spend the money they do have.

OP
OP
R

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
The Cards' reluctance to get in the free agent market? That is a pretty dumb statement. They've brought quite a few people in, made some contract offers to a few, and are going from there. How is that reluctance to get in the market?

adam

Yeah, I would define getting in the market by actually adding one. Kind of like when you get in the stock market by buying stock not researching and just looking at it. Tapping into the market I believe you would call it, but I don't think offering contracts and having press conferences counts as that. I saw Cinci is on free agent #4, so reluctant would seem to describe the Cardinals pretty well thus far.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
reluctance to get in the market?
I fail to see how you can say that.
They haven't been standing still doing nothing, its just that there are no signings as of yet, they can only control so much, without being totally foolish in how they spend the money they do have.

True. But moving at a snail's pace

OP
OP
R

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
Yeah, but for that $92.407 million, what did Snyder get? An 8-8 team?

No, I really don't think the Redskins are doing too many great things this off-season either. But they are spending and the Cards are not, so the comparison to 2000 seems pretty applicable.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Since when does spending money automatically win games?
The Skins are a perfect example of that.

No, just simply spending money does not equate to winning on the field, it's been proven time and time again.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, just simply spending money does not equate to winning on the field, it's been proven time and time again.

Yes. True again. But has the Cards fiscal policy produced a year in/ year out contender? Does money have a part to play in it. Yes. To an extent. Other factors have to include a teams winning tradition. How well positioned they are to win this year. The relationship with the owner.

Money is not what it is all about but it is a very big part. And when a team lacks the other ingredients then you have to spend more money. Supply and demand. If we win then FAs will want to be here. The Cards then have the upper hand. However, if we do not win then FAs will be here as a last option and what will tip the scale is the size of the monetary offer. However, then we will complain about over paid, greedy players......

OP
OP
R

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score

Very true, this isn't baseball or hockey, so it's not how much but who you spend the money on.
Case and point is GB being near the bottom of that list. They were last in expenditures this year as well, but the team was still pretty competitive.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I agree RL that I'd like to see the Cardinals being as aggrssive as Snyder in going after who they want. They seem to be overly deliberate in their processes. Snyder, on the other hand, looks like he just loves to throw money around. Two years from now the Skins will be cutting guys left and right to get under the cap.

OP
OP
R

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
I agree RL that I'd like to see the Cardinals being as aggrssive as Snyder in going after who they want. They seem to be overly deliberate in their processes. Snyder, on the other hand, looks like he just loves to throw money around. Two years from now the Skins will be cutting guys left and right to get under the cap.

Yeah, I'm not advocating a spending spree like the one Washington is on. I will say, however, that it is much more encouraging to see that course of action than the converse, like out here.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RLakin
Yeah, I'm not advocating a spending spree like the one Washington is on. I will say, however, that it is much more encouraging to see that course of action than the converse, like out here.
RL...

I agree with you.... Moving at a snail's pace with regard to FAs that can definately help your team does not inspire me with vision. I can only extrapolate that to FA's. What is the message we are sending......?????

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards' reluctance to get in the free agent market? That is a pretty dumb statement. They've brought quite a few people in, made some contract offers to a few, and are going from there.
It may be good PR to bring in a lot of players for visits. But it's only good football when you sign a few. Hasn't happened yet.

Tick. Tick. Tick...

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Ask the New York Yankees when does spending automatically win games or actually the entire MLB. Over the last decade the high spenders are about 90% the ones into the playoffs. granted, the NFL has the cap but the guys getting around the cap and spending the limit are more than likely to be the contenders. Some of these owners do not like losing at all and they will spend or do whatever it takes to try and win. Snyder may be crazy but he will keep spending until he gets it right. So will Jerry Jones who has even gone so far as to give up some power to Parcells. these guys go crazy when they lose. Jones has fits. Bidwill has an ice cream cone. have you ever seen Bidwill real excited about anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA