Interesting: Last year's first round DEs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of talk lately about whether Suggs' stats or his workouts are more important. I was curious to see how last year's first round defensive ends stacked up, and I was quite surprised by the results.

JULIUS PEPPERS:

40: 4.74
Sacks: 9.5
Pres: 8
TFL: 19

DWIGHT FREENEY:
40: 4.48
Sacks: 17.5
Pres: 26
TFL: 20

BRYAN THOMAS:
40: 4.47
Sacks: 14
Pres: 21
TFL: 18

By both measures, 40 times and production Peppers is THIRD if you rate the DE's by those two factors. He's a full quarter second slower than both (and we've heard how big of a deal that is in the NFL from certain posters) and has fewer sacks. Remember, he also had another top ten pick playing next to him, Ryan Sims. Yet, Peppers was a surefire top 3 pick and Freeney was a big surprise that he went at #11! And, would anyone trade Peppers for Freeney now? What seems to be the big difference? As far as I can tell, Peppers weighed 15 lbs. heavier than both and is taller. Also, anyone who saw Peppers play in college knew he had some special playmaking abilities which don't show up in those stats.

How does Suggs compare?

SUGGS:

40: 4.78
Sacks: 24.5
Pres: ?
TFL: 31.5

What does it all mean? I don't know. I'm more confused than when I started, I'm glad I'm not looking at a list of 100 DEs. Suggs is taller than Freeney, shorter than the other two, but the lightest of the bunch. Yet, he won't be the lightest DE in the NFL next year. Based on what I saw of their college play, Suggs fits in quite well with those three. (Only saw Thomas play in the Senior Bowl.) Whether Suggs is the pick, or not, I really don't see anything in those numbers that should scare teams off. It all comes down to need and which particular player you like. Then, you close your eyes and roll the dice.

Also, if you compare production, Suggs clearly had the best year going into the draft. Some knock the PAC 10 conference, but Peppers came from the ACC, Freeney the Big East and Thomas Conference USA. I don't think anyone would argue those conferences are clearly superior to the PAC 10, if at all.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peppers

The problem with Suggs isn't just his 4.89 speed, which is what it currently is. He bulked up from college and got slower.

It is the fact that he only could lift 225 pounds 18 times, which is roughly what a good safety can lift.

Peppers is extremely strong as well as quick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard