Insider- 2/13/2006 Report

sunsfn

Reaction score
Updated: Feb. 13, 2006, 9:57 AM ET
ESPN.com's Intelligence Report: Feb. 13

[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]EASTERN CONFERENCE[/FONT]

Atlanta Hawks
Harrington Still An Artest Fan
When asked about Ron Artest throughout the six weeks that both of their names dominated trade rumors, Al Harrington said the team that finally landed the mercurial defensive stopper would be glad it did. "Ron-Ron has always been my guy," said Harrington, who was matched on Kenny Thomas at the start Sunday while the 6-foot-7, 260-pound Artest was matched up with Joe Johnson. "He's a beast when he's on his game, man. A beast. Sacramento's already a different type of team, a more defense-minded team, with him out there." -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Didn't Push For Artest
It could have been Ron Artest as a visitor on Sunday night, booed lustily by the paying consumers of Arco Arena. The Atlanta Hawks, in town to take on the Kings, were one of the teams in the Artest trade sweepstakes. The player Artest could have been swapped for, straight across, was Al Harrington, a 6-foot-9 forward, who is one of Artest's best friends in the NBA. The Hawks didn't push for it, however, with one train of thought that Artest was a real risk joining the youngest team in the NBA. -- Sacramento Bee

Boston Celtics
Change Of Direction For West
Delonte West earned a well-deserved berth on the sophomore All-Star team for the Rookie Challenge. The spot came courtesy of his former Saint Joseph's backcourt partner Jameer Nelson, who will miss the game with a sprained right foot. Before the Celtics defeated the Magic, 102-94, last night at the TD Banknorth Garden, it was hard to tell who was happier for West. It could have been Nelson, Paul Pierce or Doc Rivers. ''It feels great," said West, who once again showed he was worthy with 14 points and a career-high tying 9 assists. ''I thought I should have been there from jump." -- Boston Globe

Charlotte Bobcats
Ankles Prevent Okafor From Playing In Rookie Game
A year ago, Emeka Okafor missed the chance to play during All-Star Weekend for his rookie team because of an aggravated left ankle injury. Well, this time, it's the right ankle that's bothering Okafor and has cost him 26 of the past 27 games entering Charlotte's home game tonight against Portland. So, just like last season, the only uniform Okafor will wear during All-Star Weekend will be a suit and tie. "It's Year Two that I'm going hurt, so I guess it's something I'm used to," said Okafor, who was picked for the second-year team for Friday's opening event of All-Star Weekend. -- Gaston Gazette

Chicago Bulls
New Look For Chandler
Difficult as it was to shed his hair, Tyson Chandler did it for a good reason. He wanted to show support for an uncle, Darnell Threadgill, who is undergoing chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer. Threadgill was in attendance Sunday at the Staples Center, along with most of Chandler's immediate family. "I came home and I hadn't seen him since he had been sick," Chandler said. "I was real touched by him, so I just wanted to support him in some kind of way." -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

Gordon: Top-Grade Bait
Ben Gordon is coming off the best offensive week of his short career, three straight games of at least 30 points. That's right. Time to trade him. ... It's the same old story. He's probably the most valuable Bull, but he never will be any taller. Can he displace Kirk Hinrich at point guard? Can he be a defensive presence at shooting guard? -- Chicago Tribune

Cleveland Cavaliers
Cavs Spurred By The Champs
The lack of media attention has not stopped executives from modeling their organizations after the Spurs. San Antonio seeks multi-talented players who understand their roles. Defense also remains a priority. "They defend, they score and they block shots," Eric Snow said. "And you hear nothing but good things about the organization off the floor." It's no secret Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry, who played and worked within the Spurs organization, has incorporated some of the philosophies. Coach Mike Brown, once an assistant under Popovich, also uses the Spurs as a model. -- Cleveland Plain Dealer

Hughes' Absence Disrupts Offense
Since losing Larry Hughes with a finger injury in early January, the Cavs have actually improved their defense as far as the numbers go. Still, they are just .500 in those 22 games compared with an 18-10 record before. A big reason is the constant troubles the Cavs have when they've actually got the ball. In the past 22 games, the Cavs are averaging 93 points per game after averaging 102 before the Hughes injury. They've averaged just 89 points in the past seven games, failing to score 100. Since losing Hughes, the Cavs have bested 100 just five times. -- Akron Beacon-Journal

Detroit Pistons
Pistons Rely Too Much On Outside Game?
Every so often, the question comes up. Are the Pistons relying too much on their outside game? The usual answer is that the Pistons take what defenses give them and that as long as those shots go in, there's no problem. But even coach Flip Saunders had to admit the numbers can get scary, as they did Sunday when the Pistons lost, 100-98, to the Miami Heat. The Heat scored 66 points in the paint to Detroit's 24. "That's a little too much," Saunders said. -- Detroit Free Press

Indiana Pacers
Spurs Deliver Lesson To Pacers
The Indiana Pacers suffered one of their most disappointing losses of the season Sunday, but at least there was a bright side. They got to participate in a demonstration of how championship teams handle pressure. San Antonio's ability to overcome a five-point deficit in the final 95 seconds for a 92-88 win at Conseco Fieldhouse came from superior poise and execution, not to mention the lucky left-handed stroke of a 34-foot shot. -- Indianapolis Star

Miami Heat
Riley: Criticism Wears On Heat
Heat coach Pat Riley said Sunday that X's and O's aren't the biggest challenge to coaching this team, but rather it's addressing the mental burden it carried because it was losing to the NBA's best. "There's so much doubt out there about our team," Riley said. "I think we have a very, very good team. I believe we have a good team. I think they believe they are a very good team, but sometimes getting inundated with a lot of, 'We're not good enough; we're not there; this team is poorly constructed,' whatever it is, it sort of gets to guys after a while; so that's one of the biggest challenges." -- Palm Beach Post

Heat Dances To Its Own Soundtrack
If indeed that's what Pat Riley was doing for a tension-relieving 10 minutes, after cranking up the Doobie Brothers' Listen to the Music before Sunday's 100-98 victory against the Pistons. "I don't know what it was," Dwyane Wade said of the hapless hoofing and accompanying soundtrack. "Not even Zo knew what it was," Udonis Haslem said. It was Riley's way of saying "sometimes you have to listen to your own music." -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

One Game Doesn't Change Perceptions
Yes, it was an important win for Miami and yet could prove to be more than an interruption of season long struggles against the NBA's better teams (and 41-9 Detroit remains the very best). "It's a good game for our confidence," said Dwyane Wade, who scored the Heat's closing 17 points in the final 4:27 without missing on seven shots from the floor or three from the free-throw line. Well, sure it is. But the Heat shouldn't dare put too much stock in it. Miami, after all, needed Wade's game-high 37 points and Shaquille O'Neal's 31 to do the deed. And that was playing at home. -- Palm Beach Post

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
-->
Newark Star-Ledger

New York Knicks
Motivation Hard To Find
Despite Larry Brown's intense criticism of his players, he cannot seem to motivate them, nor find a combination that works without Stephon Marbury in the lineup. Marbury sat for his sixth consecutive game with a bruised left shoulder. The Knicks are 0-9 when he does not play. Before the game, Brown wondered why the Knicks were unable to reverse their misery. "I see guys trying to do what we're asking them to do, maybe they're not capable of it," he said. "Maybe they're young and it takes time." -- New York Times

Brown's Praise Shocks Curry
It's unusual for Larry Brown to use positive reinforcement to motivate his players, and several Knicks had grown tired of his negativity with the media and with them. While Brown didn't tell that directly to Eddy Curry, the Knicks coach told reporters Saturday after huddling with Curry, "He's our franchise right now." Sadly, he's far away from that right now, as he proved again last night in the Knicks' 90-83 loss to the Rockets. ... "I'm kind of shocked by it," Curry said. "It's good to know he looks at me like that. It's kind of shocking actually he looks at me like that because of how he is. -- New York Post

Orlando Magic
Players Show Personal Side With Ink
In the NBA, where the tank-top jerseys make the art easily visible to the paying customers, it seems as if the majority of the players sport some sort of "ink." And almost to a man, the players say that behind every tattoo there's a story or a memory of some kind. "My teammates joke with me all the time, telling me that I have my life story on my body," said Orlando Magic guard Jameer Nelson, owner of 11 tattoos. "Everything on me has special meaning." -- Florida Today

Philadelphia 76ers
Sixers Welcome Back Hunter
The New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets may not have wanted Steven Hunter, but as promised the Sixers had no problem welcoming him back to the roster after the trade was rescinded. Hunter, who had been on the inactive list since being traded on Feb. 1, saw his first action since Jan. 29 when he substituted for Samuel Dalembert with 3:59 left in the first quarter. Hunter played 15 ½ minutes, taking no shots, making two free throws, grabbing one rebound and getting one assist. The Sixers placed Zendon Hamilton on the inactive list to make room for Hunter. -- Philadelphia Daily News

Toronto Raptors
Fashionably Late Bosh Dressed To Impress
This wasn't Toronto's hoopwise Superman changing back to Clark Kent in a flash. This was a newly minted NBA all-star taking his sweet time. ... "How long do they gotta wait?" said Pape Sow to Bosh, feeling the media's pain. "Get dressed, man." Chris Bosh, as laconic off the court as he is explosive on it, didn't exactly pick up the pace. He carefully shaped his mini-Afro with deliberate pulls of his pick. And then he offered an explanation for his painstaking attention to detail. "Mom might be watching," he said. -- Toronto Star

Alex One Of The Greats
With 60 years of the NBA going into the books this season, the American TV network TNT is biting off the NBA's "50 at 50" celebration of the greatest 50 basketball players from the 1997 all-star game. As part of its all-star weekend coverage, TNT will unveil an unofficial Next 10 picked by its staff on Saturday. The list can include active players and ones who were snubbed last decade, including Raptors assistant coach Alex English, who is a member of the NBA Hall-of-Fame and is the league's 11th leading career scorer, with 25,613 points. -- Toronto Sun

Washington Wizards
Ruffin's Value Exceeds His Numbers
The value of Michael Ruffin cannot be measured in simple statistical terms. His numbers could serve as an indictment if you did not look beyond his 107 fouls and 61 points this season. Ruffin is neither a scorer nor a perimeter player who distributes the ball to teammates. Ruffin is a hard body with a powerful basketball intellect. He recognizes what he is not and embraces what he is. He has come to be the finisher of the Wizards. -- Washington Times

[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]WESTERN CONFERENCE[/FONT]

You must be registered for see images

Dallas Mavericks
Mavs Loss A 'Big Eye-Opener'
Every team can use a little eye-opener once in a while. "We got a big eye-opener," Devin Harris corrected. "It was kind of weird coming to practice with a loss. It's been so long. It shows we can't just show up expecting to beat people." That revelation comes at a good time. Quite frankly, the New York team that will arrive at American Airlines Center tonight is one that the Mavericks should beat simply by showing up. -- Dallas Morning News

Denver Nuggets
K-Mart Probe Continues
Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said alleged incidents involving Kenyon Martin continue to be investigated, and "there's a possibility" he could face discipline. ... Vandeweghe would not be specific about any type of discipline Martin could face. Martin would be surprised if anything were to happen to him. "For what?" he said. "I didn't do nothing. Why would there be any discipline? I didn't do anything." The NBA and the Nuggets are continuing to investigate. Vandeweghe anticipates some sort of resolution by the All-Star Game on Sunday. -- Rocky Mountain News
All-Star Miss Is Good Shot For Anthony
Being selected to next week's NBA All-Star Game would have been redemption for Carmelo Anthony, but when the list of Western Conference reserves was released last week, his name wasn't on it. Yet he might know more now about where he stands and how he's perceived by missing out than if he had made it. And by reacting with professionalism and maturity, Anthony -- the sometimes-brilliant, sometimes-embattled product of West Baltimore -- has only enhanced that perception. He won't be performing in Houston next weekend, but he's looking as good as any of the players who will be. -- Baltimore Sun

Johnson Not Happy Riding Bench
DerMarr Johnson does not plan to talk further to his coach about the matter. "He said before it was about practicing habits," he said. "I think that's ridiculous. That's so far from the truth. I practice harder than anybody. I can't make him put me in the games. All I can do is keep practicing hard. Talking to him ain't going to make no difference. He's just going to say the same thing." -- Denver Post

Golden State Warriors
Mullin Not Ready To Strike Any Deals
There is, however, a strong possibility the Warriors could stand pat this time around -- which would be fine with Mullin, who said he still has confidence the current roster can get it done. "You always want more. You always want to do better," said Mullin, whose team entered Sunday two games behind the Los Angeles Lakers for the eighth seed in the Western Conference. "But this is where we are. We got ourselves here. I think these guys can answer the bell." -- Contra Costa Times

Houston Rockets
Swift Needs To Be On Time
Forward Stromile Swift was back in the Rockets' rotation Sunday after he was inactive for a second game in less than two weeks for being late to a practice. "It's a little embarrassing," Swift said. "We (Swift and Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy) talked about that a little bit. I just have to go by the rules. Whatever he says, I have to abide by." Van Gundy said Swift should not be considered "problematic." But if Swift is concerned about his reputation, Van Gundy offered a solution. "What he should do is be on time, then he wouldn't have to worry about it," Van Gundy said. -- Houston Chronicle

Los Angeles Clippers
No Extension Talks Yet
The Clippers' best start in team history coincides with this being the last year of Mike Dunleavy's three-year contract. The team holds a club option for next year, which is expected to be picked up. However, no serious extension talks have transpired yet between the team and Dunleavy's agent Warren LeGarie. "I'm not worried about that at this point,'' Dunleavy said. Joe Safety, the Clippers' vice president of communications said, "Right now we're all on the same page and everyone is focused on the task at hand.'' -- Orange County Register

Maggette May Begin Basketball Activity Soon
The next important date in Corey Maggette's rehabilitation is Tuesday. That's when Maggette will have his left foot examined, and it will be decided whether or not the Clippers forward is ready for basketball activity. ... "Everything is going real well," Maggette said Sunday night. "Everyone's seen the progress, just in how it's been reacting to the treatment. Right now the biggest test is to get on the floor and see how it feels." -- Riverside Press-Enterprise

Los Angeles Lakers
Gone In 60 Seconds
In seven games this season, the Lakers led or were tied in the last minute of regulation but lost. ... One by one they have stacked up, potential victories turned into frustrating losses in a season that can't afford much more of the latter. Even Laker Coach Phil Jackson seemed befuddled by it. "I don't know," he said. "I can't stick my finger on it. We have experienced guys out there for the most part. We've got some younger guys, but I don't accept that [excuse]. Management of the clock, those things are something that you learn pretty quickly." -- Los Angeles Times

Lakers Seek Second Option
Question: Aside from Kobe Bryant, which Laker is most likely to make a shot with the game on the line? What happened late in the Lakers' loss to Memphis on Saturday night offered some insight into where Coach Phil Jackson and Bryant stand on that issue. And it speaks to the limited qualifications of most Lakers that third-year forward Brian Cook has shot up the list as if he were a catchy, new song on the airwaves. -- Orange County Register

Memphis Grizzlies
Grizzlies' Mindset Never Went South
Amid the misery of funky fourth quarters and defeats that connected like dominoes, the Griz never lost that rah-rah, can-do spirit. They never became disjointed off the court, either. Teammates weren't engaged in destructive bickering. ... Say this much about the 2005-06 version: No one quit. "We're professionals," veteran guard Eddie Jones said. "We don't give in. We're going to always fight to overcome on this team." -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Minnesota Timberwolves
Wolves' Goal Hasn't Changed
In the past few weeks the Timberwolves have changed their roster. Coach Dwane Casey has changed his rotation and is in the process of forging an entirely new identity. One thing hasn't changed, though. Despite a three-game home losing streak and having gone 3-7 since making the trade that brought Ricky Davis, Marcus Banks, Mark Blount and Justin Reed to the team, the Wolves still expect to make the playoffs. ... "Our goal is still to win the division, make the playoffs," Casey said. "Nobody is running away with it. We just have to get together, get our offensive and defensive schemes going." -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

Jaric Says Knee Pain Is For Real
Marko Jaric, it turns out, essentially placed himself on the inactive list Saturday night. ... Jaric said Saturday's appearance on the inactive list wasn't a sign of a bigger issue. "No," he said. "It really hurts, and that's the reason." This comes after Jaric voiced his frustration in Saturday's Pioneer Press, saying coach Dwane Casey hamstrung him with a lack of playing time and that helped lead to his demotion from the starting lineup. "It's not a Marko vs. coach situation whatsoever," Casey said. "Marko's got tendinitis, and he's trying to work through that." -- St. Paul Pioneer Press

New Orleans Hornets
West Shows Confidence Goes Long Way
David West has developed into a dominant power forward force. Entering tonight's game against Washington (26-23), West leads the Hornets with 16.9 points per game and 7.8 rebounds. And he is shooting 50.8 percent from the floor, 16th best in the NBA. "To me, confidence is the word," teammate P.J. Brown said of West. "This is my third year with him, and just to see the improvement and the maturity over the last three years has been amazing. I think he came in here with a chip on his shoulder this year, and he wanted to show that he belonged in this league -- and the reason why he was chosen in the first round." -- New Orleans Times-Picayune

Hornets Headed For Eighth Seed
If the playoffs started today, the Hornets would be the sixth seed in the Western Conference. They'd be gearing up for a winnable first-round series with the third-seeded Denver Nuggets. Too bad the postseason is another two and a half months away, because the Hornets won't hold onto that sixth spot. Looking at the Hornets' remaining schedule, they'll close out their final 32 games with a 16-16 record and finish the season at 43-39. It says here that will make them the eighth seed, setting up an undesirable first-round meeting with the defending champion San Antonio Spurs. -- The Oklahoman

Phoenix Suns
D'Antoni Keeps Converting Skeptics
Mike D'Antoni frequently has joked how last season's NBA Coach of the Year award and two bucks still would only get him his morning cup of coffee. For a while, he was right. He imparted unique philosophies and a player-friendly style to lead the NBA's third-best one-year turnaround last season. Even with all that and D'Antoni's Appalachian charm, his second full season with the Suns was forecast with all the skepticism of Vanilla Ice's second album. -- Arizona Republic

Portland Trail Blazers
McMillan: Blazers' 'Spirit Is Gone'
The mascot was mocking the Blazers huddle while belly-dancing behind Blazers assistant Monty Williams, and Steve Blake shooed him away with a red-faced barrage of expletives. If only that much energy was spent on the rest of the game. "It just looks like the spirit is gone," Nate McMillan said. "The fire is not there." -- The Oregonian

Chicago Tribune
-->

San Antonio Spurs
Duncan Has Rough Two Weeks
The good news for the Spurs: They're already well experienced at trying to survive Tim Duncan's struggles. Still trying to regain his strength after a weeklong battle with the flu, Duncan missed 11 of 15 shots and 4 of 6 free throws in Sunday's 92-88 victory over Indiana. "It's been a tough couple of weeks in that respect," Duncan said. -- San Antonio Express-News

Ginobili's Impact Rarely Changes
Yao has never won a playoff series, and the same goes for his All-Star and Rockets teammate, Tracy McGrady. Others who will be in Houston next week representing the Western Conference, Elton Brand and Pau Gasol, have the same résumé. Manu Ginobili, instead, is coming off an All-Star season that peaked in the spring. What he did should have stayed with some people, but the memory gave way to the usual NBA emphasis on stats and style. -- San Antonio Express-News

Seattle SuperSonics
Karl's Best Job? 1998 Sonics
George Karl, who received a smattering of applause before Sunday's game at KeyArena, believes he did his best coaching job in Seattle the season before he was released. "The last year, coach [Tim Grgurich] and I think was the best season we ever coached, the year we had 61 wins," he said. "It was kind of a makeshift crew. At the end of September we pick up Jerome Kersey and Dale Ellis. We kind of put three or four guys in our rotation. ... [It] was kind of not a very good team." The 1997-98 season began with Shawn Kemp making a contentious trade demand and the Sonics dealing him for Vin Baker. -- Seattle Times

Hill: Make A Trade Or Change Focus
If he (Rick Sund) is unable to consummate a deal by the Feb. 23 trade deadline, Bob Hill said the team is giving up on the competitive portion of the season. "I think if we don't make any trades, or we don't change the team at all, you have to look at playing Johan (Petro) and Robert (Swift) and throwing them the ball, putting sets in for them, developing them even further, getting Damien (Wilkins) on the floor even more," Hill said. "I think that is the direction we would go, total development of the younger guys." -- Tacoma News Tribune

Utah Jazz
Utah Losing Steam In Playoff Push
With 31 games remaining in the regular season, the Utah Jazz find themselves in the middle of a wild scramble for a playoff berth. They are one of nine teams fighting for four spots in the Western Conference. Not that Utah always plays with a sense of desperation. The Jazz are 6-9 over the last 15 games following an energy-challenged 102-88 loss at Houston on Saturday night. In the last month, Utah has beaten only two teams with winning records -- New Jersey and Denver. -- Salt Lake Tribune

McLeod's Heart Is Normal
After complaining Saturday of what the team called "indigestion-like chest discomfort," Keith McLeod was taken Saturday afternoon to a Houston hospital for a battery of cardio-related tests. "With the strain of the league with heart problems and that type of thing," Jazz trainer Gary Briggs said, "even though it was just discomfort, more like an indigestion kind of thing, you want to get it checked." An electrocardiogram (EKG) performed Saturday on McLeod was "normal," Briggs said. -- Deseret Morning News

[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]Draft Talk[/FONT]

NBA Eye On Nicholson
Yemi Nicholson is a solid NBA prospect. Current projections call for him to be chosen as high as late in the first round in this year's draft. The 2005 Sun Belt Conference player of the year was averaging 19.6 points and 12 rebounds entering Saturday's game at Middle Tennessee. NBA scouts have been watching the 6-foot-11, 260-pounder throughout the season. "It crosses my mind," Nicholson said when asked about scouts coming to his games. "But I've still got to come out and give every game my all." -- Denver Post

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Charlotte Bobcats
Ankles Prevent Okafor From Playing In Rookie Game
A year ago, Emeka Okafor missed the chance to play during All-Star Weekend for his rookie team because of an aggravated left ankle injury. Well, this time, it's the right ankle that's bothering Okafor and has cost him 26 of the past 27 games entering Charlotte's home game tonight against Portland. So, just like last season, the only uniform Okafor will wear during All-Star Weekend will be a suit and tie. "It's Year Two that I'm going hurt, so I guess it's something I'm used to," said Okafor, who was picked for the second-year team for Friday's opening event of All-Star Weekend. -- Gaston Gazette
I remember when Orlando was ridiculed for passing up on Okafor for the highschooler Dwight Howard...

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
chiunit said:
I remember when Orlando was ridiculed for passing up on Okafor for the highschooler Dwight Howard...

I don't remember anyone ridiculing Orlando. I was one who like Okafor because I believed he could help the Suns immediately (if lightning struck and the Suns got the pick), but there was little doubt that Howard could be an outstanding player. As it is, he's done quite well considering how bad the supporting cast has been for him - but the same could be said for Okafor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson