I have a strange feeling it will be-

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Why? I don't really know why. For some reason, especially if Suggs is not there at #6, I think the Cardinals will trade down just a little for a team in love with a Leftwhich or a Newman who makes it through to the 6th pick. The Cardinals will attain an extra pick in rd 2 or 3 and select Kevin Williams early mid-way into the first round. I just think he is a Coach McGinnis kind of guy and the team would love extra picks.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jetstream Green
Why? I don't really know why. For some reason, especially if Suggs is not there at #6, I think the Cardinals will trade down just a little for a team in love with a Leftwhich or a Newman who makes it through to the 6th pick. The Cardinals will attain an extra pick in rd 2 or 3 and select Kevin Williams early mid-way into the first round. I just think he is a Coach McGinnis kind of guy and the team would love extra picks.

Thing is, Williamns doesn't last past 11 or 12, IMO.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As I said

I'm thinking a trade with a team no lower than 10 or 12 who really wants a player like Leftwhich or even an Andre Johnson if they survive to number 6. I agree with you, Williams won't be available long. I don't really agree too much with it but it wouldn't make me too upset because the extra picks would be nice. I want Suggs, his game footage speaks volumes. Leftwhich would be nice, but with Blake and McCown on board it could it ugly with the fans chanting possibly by mid-season "We want Leftwhich"! Plus, McGinnis needs to win now for the sake of his job in the fickle world of keeping his coaching job. By the way the Cards are acting very unCardinal like with their high offer sheets to free-agents this off-season, seeing them do a very unCardinal like action like trading down is a likely possibility. No?

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think your hunch is right on the money, Jetstream. Williams is near the top of the Cardinals' draft, no question. I believe they have him rated as the number one or number two defensive lineman with Dewayne Robertson.

Williams won't get past Seattle at #11. Either the Cardinals trade down to #9 or #10...or they stay put and take him. Robertson more than likely will be a top five pick, so the Cardinals' decision could come down to Suggs or Williams...and it's entirely possible that Jimmy Kennedy, if he gets by Dallas will be on the board as well. So there the Cardinals will be...deciding between Williams, Suggs or Kennedy. Trading down a couple of spots becomes very attractive in this scenario because one of the three will still be there. However, how likely is it that the Vikings, Jaguars, Panthers or Ravens will trade up to #6? I would say slim to none. The possible suitors are more likely to be the Jets, Patriots or Saints...at #13, #14, #17 respectively. Williams will almost certainly be taken before #13. In fact, if he does somehow get by Seatlle at #11, St. Louis, another NFC West rival, could scoop him up at #12.

Therefore, we shouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals select Williams at #6 if they can't trade down two to four spots. This will have Mel Kiper in an uproar, because Mel is all about value and Mel won't think that Kevin Williams is a top ten value, let alone at #6. I can just hear Mel now..."Typical Cardinals...they don't understand draft value."

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Williams is probably the best of the 2nd group of DTs in the draft (Williams, Sullivan & Joseph). These guys are rated about equally high and it seems like it's a matter of preference who goes first.

I have nothing against Williams, but it seems to me that he's the exact same type of player as Wendall Bryant, so why draft him?? Unless you want Wiilams in a rotation where he plays end on rushing downs and DT on passing downs he wouldn't be a good fit for the Cards' D. Sullivan is IMO the only one of the three that would fit this D.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard