GREAT NEWS! Fiesta Bowl to remain in BCS rotation, pay $1 million fine

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Fiesta Bowl will remain in the prestigious Bowl Championship Series, but it will be fined $1 million for financial improprieties and for allowing employees to make illegal campaign contributions, a special BCS committee has decided.

"I think the message is, they have cleaned house and addressed their problems. We are satisfied with the reforms they have taken, and they have focused on improving the management of the bowl," BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock told The Arizona Republic today.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/col...11/20110511fiesta-bowl-bcs.html#ixzz1M5c6R0gX

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
BCS doesn't want a lawsuit filed against it by the Fiesta Bowl that might reveal even more about their shady backroom deals.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this is good news. Fiesta Bowl got off light. Nothing will change. College football isn't better for this.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Justice Dep't. questioning the whole BCS thing? Last thing the BCS needs, for survival, is turmoil in the ranks. This and the whole , recently self impose/declared, moratorium on new bowls may be an attempt at damage control to convince any debaters that they are healthy and ethical. Hah.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6479279

Last edited:
OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this is good news. Fiesta Bowl got off light. Nothing will change. College football isn't better for this.
You don't think that it's good that a game of this stature stays in AZ instead of Dallas. Maybe nothing will change but it would have been disastrous for AZ for the Fiesta Bowl to be taken out of the BCS rotation.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't think that it's good that a game of this stature stays in AZ instead of Dallas. Maybe nothing will change but it would have been disastrous for AZ for the Fiesta Bowl to be taken out of the BCS rotation.

Disastorous is a big word that I don't think would apply to losing the Fiesta Bowl. For one, I think the financial impact of bowl games (and stadia) in general are total, absolute B.S. So much of it is taxpayer funded. I'd be surprised if it was a break-even proposition. The game does nothing for me and has far out-grown it's original purpose, which was to support the local programs.

What I *do* believe is disastorous is the whitewashing of completely unethical behavior in a game that's in serious need of a kick in the ethical backside.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Disastorous is a big word that I don't think would apply to losing the Fiesta Bowl. For one, I think the financial impact of bowl games (and stadia) in general are total, absolute B.S. So much of it is taxpayer funded. I'd be surprised if it was a break-even proposition. The game does nothing for me and has far out-grown it's original purpose, which was to support the local programs.

I could not disagree more about the financial impact - it's not even close to break even for events like the fiesta bowl & BCS championship game

The combined tax rate for most cities on hotels will be near 12% (it's 12.07% for phoenix) .... throw in rental car taxes, food & other consumption, convention business that will align itself to the events, etc it's a huge boost

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The inevitable is being delayed by a couple of years. The Cotton Bowl is going to be in the BCS next time the contract is up.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The combined tax rate for most cities on hotels will be near 12% (it's 12.07% for phoenix) .... throw in rental car taxes, food & other consumption, convention business that will align itself to the events, etc it's a huge boost

Paid for by whom? A lot of the money spent locally comes from city incentives and state incentives.

It's just like the Super Bowl, which the Bidwills said they will no longer support unless the state picks up most or all of the $80 million tab the Bidwills say they fronted at the last Super Bowl.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Its hard to get an accurate figure on what amount of money things like the Super or Fiesta Bowls bring in exactly. Even if they are only break even (which I doubt) thats besides the point. The exposure is beyond priceless.

Over 80% of travel is return travel, people go back to places they've been and liked. An Ohio State, Oklahoma, New York Giants, or whichever team fan that came to Arizona and had a good time is more likely to travel again to Arizona and spend money than someone who never came in the first place. Seeing those games on TV, the weather, the beauty shots, etc. also entices people to come.

Return travel and exposure that are side benefits of those games is almost impossible to measure directly. But all one needs to do is think about the amount of tourism travel that came to Phoenix in the 60's versus today. The Fiesta Bowl, Cactus League, NBA All Star Games, Super Bowls, et cetera have helped raise Phoenix's status as a resort and tourism destination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard