Gettin new (to me) car - financing questions

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still looking as well, narrowed it down to 2 hehicle types. I have a good friend that has been helping me, he's one of the head mechanics at one of the Honda dealerships. After listening to me, we've knocked it down to a Honda car or a Toyoya pickup we plan to score off Craigslist. He checks the motor/ride, I do the haggle.

If it's a Honda we are looking for something around 150,000 miles, AC, proof of a timing belt change and good paperwork in the car's history.

Toyota pickup, I want the 22R motor, hopefully extended cab, AC, and a campershell would rule.

Planning on dropping $2,500 to $3,000 and I feel good with a picky ass mechanic on my side.

Am in the same market but looking for a p/u.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided we only wanted 250 a month max so new cars are out of question. Went ahead and got preapproved at 4% for as high as 12k.

Hoping to spend 8-10k.

The hunt is on, I hate this part.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided we only wanted 250 a month max so new cars are out of question. Went ahead and got preapproved at 4% for as high as 12k.

Hoping to spend 8-10k.

The hunt is on, I hate this part.

It sucks royally. I have been looking for two weeks now. The used car market isn't what it used to be. Prices are rather high (as is the mileage) and you aren't getting as much as you used to. I have been very disheartened.

I am going to check out a small SUV in my price range tonight. Am really hoping this is the one.

Good luck to you!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good luck! are you doing dealers? brokers? craigslist? autotrader?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad has bought 3 subarus in the last year.

First one was really a year old tradein that he got a warranty on damn near as good as their new car warranty. His car had died.

Wife's car died so bought another one, this one brand new.

6-8 months later my brothers jeep(my old Jeep 97 cherokee sport) died so now dad is leasing a brand new Subaru and letting brother drive the first one he bought off and on.

Subaru apparently has a really good warranty setup on used cars.

As for why buy new, right now one reason is you can get 0% interest from dealers. If all were like Subaru with used car warranties being good there'd be less reason to buy new though.

My Tahoe is 03, 120K miles never had a problem. My current goal is 4-5 more years but it depends. Company will be in our current location through end of 2014, my current commute is 1.1 miles each way 2.2 round trip. So the very low gas mileage is not a big deal. But next vehicle will be a smaller Hybrid SUV more along the size of the Cherokee. The advantage of a hybrid aside from gas is with that battery they tend to weigh more so no fear of boat pushing vehicle forward in a panic stop which happened wtih the jeep, that's why I got the Tahoe

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I <3 my jeep cherokee. Those old jeeps are so easy ill never need a warranty, do all my work on my own.

Stoked to garage it and get real dirty, most my work now is contigent on being able to drive it monday. Once she gets her new car, all bets r off.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One of my customers brought in a Ford Explorer to look at, looked like a 97 or something but it is pretty close to Cardinal red and I believe it has the same engine I wanted in the Ford Rangers I was looking at. I was just going to put a camper on the Ranger anyways. So this guy went to go see this Explorer on Craiglist because it was crazy cheap, he gets there and realizes immediately someone put the wrong alternater on it and it fried a couple wires. He towed it home and fixed it quick like, and was going to put a 34 inch woofer in the back but the speaker box didn't fit. :D

121,000 miles, runs friggin great, no AC but I can get it fixed. I love the space with the seats folding down, possible ********* room. The 4x4 is always good to have, good shape and new tires....$1,400.... I think I might just do it.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My dad has bought 3 subarus in the last year.

First one was really a year old tradein that he got a warranty on damn near as good as their new car warranty. His car had died.

Wife's car died so bought another one, this one brand new.

6-8 months later my brothers jeep(my old Jeep 97 cherokee sport) died so now dad is leasing a brand new Subaru and letting brother drive the first one he bought off and on.

Subaru apparently has a really good warranty setup on used cars.

As for why buy new, right now one reason is you can get 0% interest from dealers. If all were like Subaru with used car warranties being good there'd be less reason to buy new though.

My Tahoe is 03, 120K miles never had a problem. My current goal is 4-5 more years but it depends. Company will be in our current location through end of 2014, my current commute is 1.1 miles each way 2.2 round trip. So the very low gas mileage is not a big deal. But next vehicle will be a smaller Hybrid SUV more along the size of the Cherokee. The advantage of a hybrid aside from gas is with that battery they tend to weigh more so no fear of boat pushing vehicle forward in a panic stop which happened wtih the jeep, that's why I got the Tahoe
Hippies love Suby stationwagons!!!
smiliefan.gif

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found my truck, meeting w seller at bank friday to close it. 4% used loan at the AZFCU, glad I used them. Things went smooth. Will update fully once I own the truck = D

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found my truck, meeting w seller at bank friday to close it. 4% used loan at the AZFCU, glad I used them. Things went smooth. Will update fully once I own the truck = D

SWEET!!!!

I found my new vehicle as well. Am picking it up tomorrow.

Can't wait to have my wheels back. I haven't been without a car since, well, I was 17 years old.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have 3 cars that are at least 10 years old. Haven't had a car payment in 7 years. But they do need more maintenance. The way I figure it is when your old car starts costing as much to repair every month as a car payment its time for a more recent one. And of course the inconvenience of having your car in the shop is a real negative.

I'd love to have a Cardinal Red car with a window liner of the AZCardinals. Anyone install those out there? I wouldn't be adverse to flying out, buying a car and having the window tint done then driving home.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a 2006 trailblazer for 1k under blue book, 87k miles. looks great, drives great, shes super happy. financed at 4% which is great. First truck we looked at happened to be a great deal on a great vehicle. Bought from auto trader.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...10000&minPrice=9000&listingId=312204265&Log=0

Nice!

I got a 2005 Hyundai Tucson. Just 32K miles on it. Mine was a little more than what you paid though that's understandable with the miles.

So happy to have a car again!