Dirty Grandpa

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

Dirty Grandpa

Release Date: January 22, 2016
    Studio: Lionsgate
    Director: Dan Mazer
    MPAA Rating: R (for crude sexual content throughout, graphic nudity, and for language and drug use)
    Screenwriter: John Phillips
    Genre: Comedy
    Website: DirtyGrandpa.movie | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Starring: Robert De Niro, Zac Efron, Aubrey Plaza, Zoey Deutch, Julianne Hough, Jason Mantzoukas, Danny Glover, Adam Pally, Dermot Mulroney

Plot Summary: Jason Kelly (Zac Efron) is one week away from marrying his boss’s uber-controlling daughter, putting him on the fast track for a partnership at the law firm. However, when the straight-laced Jason is tricked into driving his foul-mouthed grandfather, Dick (Robert De Niro), to Daytona for spring break, his pending nuptials are suddenly in jeopardy. Between riotous frat parties, bar fights, and an epic night of karaoke, Dick is on a quest to live his life to the fullest and bring Jason along for the ride. Ultimately, on the wildest journey of their lives, “dirty” Grandpa and his uptight grandson discover they can learn from one another and form the bond they never had.

[​IMG]

2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Could this possibly be any good? The ads are horrendous.

3. elindholm

elindholm edited for content

The only reason I think it might be good is that it wasn't advertised very far in advance, or at least not heavily. I've noticed a distinct trend that studios over-market movies that they know to be bad, often months ahead of time. If one just quietly shows up a couple of weeks before its release, that's because the studio knows that the film is strong enough not to need the marketing blast. Or at least that's my theory.

I agree that the previews look awful, though.

4. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

It's currently at 7% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm guessing that theory doesn't wash with this movie.

5. Iceman

Iceman Administrator Staff Member Contributor

Looks like they are trying too hard to make it funny. Good cast, but bad movie. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point when it comes out on Redbox

6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Seems a little high to me. :bigyawn:

7. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

thought the previews looked decent but def a netflix movie for me.

8. Bert

Bert Walkin' on Sunshine

Wow the reviews for this are like, agressively negative. lol Here is a sample of an actual review that sounds more like something from the comments section.

"Isn't De Niro at all concerned with his legacy? At all? Did he lose a bet? Was he challenging himself to find a new low after Little Fockers? We may never know the true answer."

9. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Garbage movie.

10. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Saw this today at a matinee in Prescott with the bride and a couple o' friends.

1. Stale Plot
    2. Overtly, purposely, overdone language and sexual stuff.
    3. Predictable
    4. And in spite of all that, still had some laugh out loud yucks in it.

I've definitely seen worse movies. If you get bored and want to see some over the top stuff with some laughs, this might do it for you. While I don't feel bad about the $5 a ticket, I would have like it all better if I had waited for Netflix.

The 7% from R/T is definitely a bit rough. 50% of the people who saw it liked it. Certainly not for everyone.

11. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

The LA Times completely blasted it. Some excerpts.....

The film seems designed to see just how much further degradation Robert De Niro's legacy can take, and at this point, the actor might be as well known for his late-career backslide into increasingly distressing dreck as he is for his indelible, influential work of the 1970s and '80s. The funny thing is that he seems to be perfectly happy to do it.

In "Dirty Grandpa," it appears that screenwriter John Phillips opened Final Draft and typed as many expletives, words for genitalia and gross, unfunny brand-based puns as he could think of — several dozen times. With set pieces recycled from old episodes of "MTV's Spring Break" and the running themes of masculinity panic, homophobia, racial stereotypes and casual references to sexual assault (these couldn't, in fairness, be described as "jokes"), there you have "Dirty Grandpa."

Bright spots are found in the supporting cast, though the less said about Aubrey Plaza's bizarre portrayal of horny, grandpa-fetishizing Lenore, the better.

12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

quite possibly one of the worst movies of all time. Loved every second of it.

13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

everything said above is 1000% true.

14. cardfaninfl

cardfaninfl Demographically significant

You had me at, "Aubrey Plaza's bizarre portrayal of horny...". I'm in!

Finito likes this.
  15. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Lol, I might have to see this now. "So bad they are fun" movies can be quite entertaining.