Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirty Grandpa

Release Date: January 22, 2016
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Dan Mazer
MPAA Rating: R (for crude sexual content throughout, graphic nudity, and for language and drug use)
Screenwriter: John Phillips
Genre: Comedy
Website: DirtyGrandpa.movie | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Starring: Robert De Niro, Zac Efron, Aubrey Plaza, Zoey Deutch, Julianne Hough, Jason Mantzoukas, Danny Glover, Adam Pally, Dermot Mulroney

Plot Summary: Jason Kelly (Zac Efron) is one week away from marrying his boss’s uber-controlling daughter, putting him on the fast track for a partnership at the law firm. However, when the straight-laced Jason is tricked into driving his foul-mouthed grandfather, Dick (Robert De Niro), to Daytona for spring break, his pending nuptials are suddenly in jeopardy. Between riotous frat parties, bar fights, and an epic night of karaoke, Dick is on a quest to live his life to the fullest and bring Jason along for the ride. Ultimately, on the wildest journey of their lives, “dirty” Grandpa and his uptight grandson discover they can learn from one another and form the bond they never had.

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could this possibly be any good? The ads are horrendous.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Could this possibly be any good? The ads are horrendous.

The only reason I think it might be good is that it wasn't advertised very far in advance, or at least not heavily. I've noticed a distinct trend that studios over-market movies that they know to be bad, often months ahead of time. If one just quietly shows up a couple of weeks before its release, that's because the studio knows that the film is strong enough not to need the marketing blast. Or at least that's my theory.

I agree that the previews look awful, though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only reason I think it might be good is that it wasn't advertised very far in advance, or at least not heavily. I've noticed a distinct trend that studios over-market movies that they know to be bad, often months ahead of time. If one just quietly shows up a couple of weeks before its release, that's because the studio knows that the film is strong enough not to need the marketing blast. Or at least that's my theory.

I agree that the previews look awful, though.

It's currently at 7% on Rotten Tomatoes, so I'm guessing that theory doesn't wash with this movie.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they are trying too hard to make it funny. Good cast, but bad movie. I'm sure I'll watch it at some point when it comes out on Redbox

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought the previews looked decent but def a netflix movie for me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow the reviews for this are like, agressively negative. lol Here is a sample of an actual review that sounds more like something from the comments section.

"Isn't De Niro at all concerned with his legacy? At all? Did he lose a bet? Was he challenging himself to find a new low after Little Fockers? We may never know the true answer."

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this today at a matinee in Prescott with the bride and a couple o' friends.

1. Stale Plot
2. Overtly, purposely, overdone language and sexual stuff.
3. Predictable
4. And in spite of all that, still had some laugh out loud yucks in it.

I've definitely seen worse movies. If you get bored and want to see some over the top stuff with some laughs, this might do it for you. While I don't feel bad about the $5 a ticket, I would have like it all better if I had waited for Netflix.

The 7% from R/T is definitely a bit rough. 50% of the people who saw it liked it. Certainly not for everyone.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Wow the reviews for this are like, agressively negative.

The LA Times completely blasted it. Some excerpts.....

The film seems designed to see just how much further degradation Robert De Niro's legacy can take, and at this point, the actor might be as well known for his late-career backslide into increasingly distressing dreck as he is for his indelible, influential work of the 1970s and '80s. The funny thing is that he seems to be perfectly happy to do it.

In "Dirty Grandpa," it appears that screenwriter John Phillips opened Final Draft and typed as many expletives, words for genitalia and gross, unfunny brand-based puns as he could think of — several dozen times. With set pieces recycled from old episodes of "MTV's Spring Break" and the running themes of masculinity panic, homophobia, racial stereotypes and casual references to sexual assault (these couldn't, in fairness, be described as "jokes"), there you have "Dirty Grandpa."

Bright spots are found in the supporting cast, though the less said about Aubrey Plaza's bizarre portrayal of horny, grandpa-fetishizing Lenore, the better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quite possibly one of the worst movies of all time. Loved every second of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The LA Times completely blasted it. Some excerpts.....

The film seems designed to see just how much further degradation Robert De Niro's legacy can take, and at this point, the actor might be as well known for his late-career backslide into increasingly distressing dreck as he is for his indelible, influential work of the 1970s and '80s. The funny thing is that he seems to be perfectly happy to do it.

In "Dirty Grandpa," it appears that screenwriter John Phillips opened Final Draft and typed as many expletives, words for genitalia and gross, unfunny brand-based puns as he could think of — several dozen times. With set pieces recycled from old episodes of "MTV's Spring Break" and the running themes of masculinity panic, homophobia, racial stereotypes and casual references to sexual assault (these couldn't, in fairness, be described as "jokes"), there you have "Dirty Grandpa."

Bright spots are found in the supporting cast, though the less said about Aubrey Plaza's bizarre portrayal of horny, grandpa-fetishizing Lenore, the better.

everything said above is 1000% true.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, I might have to see this now. "So bad they are fun" movies can be quite entertaining.

it was jaw-droppingly bad... and not boring. that's the worst kind of bad movie. No... this one was just beyond atrocious.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my god this was soooooooo painfully bad, lol. Only highlight for me was Zac Efron's portrayal as a stick up his butt yuppie (gave me a few laughs) and Aubrey Plaza.

Penises drawn on faces will also always be funny for some reason.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
it was jaw-droppingly bad... and not boring. that's the worst kind of bad movie. No... this one was just beyond atrocious.

Yeah this was bad. When I watch terrible movies like this I often wonder at what point the cast and crew start realizing how bad it is. I can't image it takes until the audience sees it. If so, that would be pretty devastating, at least initially.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot and crazy isn’t as cool as you might think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no, but it's pretty damn fun for a couple months before she goes full boil-your-bunny on you. Had one of those relationships once. great in bed but ended up being pretty scary in the head.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
no, but it's pretty damn fun for a couple months before she goes full boil-your-bunny on you. Had one of those relationships once. great in bed but ended up being pretty scary in the head.
Mine lasted 28 years.

I literally have permanent PTSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose