"Dine local"

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is the dumbest slogan ever? I just watched a news story about restaraunts and inflation. The anchors then tell me to "Please dine local".

What the hell else am I going to do?

"Honey... let's go out to eat. I am booking a flight to LA right now!"

"How about some lobster flown in fresh from Maine? Sound good? None of that lobster in butchers shop here, no way!"

"You know our favorite restaurant in Santa Fe? Let's Doordash it!"

:bang:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is the dumbest slogan ever? I just watched a news story about restaraunts and inflation. The anchors then tell me to "Please dine local".

What the hell else am I going to do?

"Honey... let's go out to eat. I am booking a flight to LA right now!"

"How about some lobster flown in fresh from Maine? Sound good? None of that lobster in butchers shop here, no way!"

"You know our favorite restaurant in Santa Fe? Let's Doordash it!"

:bang:

They probably could have come up with a better slogan to convey the point @Dback Jon makes.

Don't spend your money on national corporate restaurants. Go to authentic home grown restaurants, they are struggling and need the help.

Any marketing people in here?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They probably could have come up with a better slogan to convey the point @Dback Jon makes.

Don't spend your money on national corporate restaurants. Go to authentic home grown restaurants, they are struggling and need the help.

I understand the logic but disagree to a point. Our local Dairy Queen is a family-owned franchise store. The owners really invest in our community. They sponsor the sports programs at the nearby high school (Dobson High) and provide jobs for many high schoolers and young adults in our neighborhood. I think it is important to support these kinds of businesses as well rather than pass them by because they are part of a chain.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"shop local" "dine local" and more are obvious small business marketing campaigns to spend your money at mom and pops

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the logic but disagree to a point. Our local Dairy Queen is a family-owned franchise store. The owners really invest in our community. They sponsor the sports programs at the nearby high school (Dobson High) and provide jobs for many high schoolers and young adults in our neighborhood. I think it is important to support these kinds of businesses as well rather than pass them by because they are part of a chain.
Really good point. The local McDonald's is likely locally owned.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the national chains are locally franchised so I'm not sure about the slogan idea.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This just doesn't have a catchy ring to it:

"Dine locally owned restaurants including franchises"

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

Very much this.

I like supporting the local small businesses and love to see them thrive.

People do tend to forget that many franchises are also locally owned and very much a part of the community.

While some money does sink back to corporate, a lot does stay local.

Years ago the dad of one of my wife's students owned a few of the Popeyes franchises. They were very active in supporting the schools and there was no corporate advertisement.

Back home, our entire T-ball program was backed by McDonald's and the local franchise owner was very involved with kids activities - they did advertise/brand, but still a huge benefit

Then you have the local restaurants that turn into franchise chains

A lot of the owners, workers, suppliers, etc are very much a part of the local community

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree with that. We never, and I mean never, eat at chains. It's insane how many great restaurants are in the valley now.

Ok, is Barro's considered a chain? That would be the closest we go out to eat at. But I know it is still family owned. I worked in the very first Barro's in the Valley at Dobson and Guadalupe. Now closed. Angelo Barro was one of my football coaches at Marcos de Niza, one of the true good people i have known in my life. I know there are a bunch of them around now, but I say "not a chain".

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with that. We never, and I mean never, eat at chains. It's insane how many great restaurants are in the valley now.

Ok, is Barro's considered a chain? That would be the closest we go out to eat at. But I know it is still family owned. I worked in the very first Barro's in the Valley at Dobson and Guadalupe. Now closed. Angelo Barro was one of my football coaches at Marcos de Niza, one of the true good people i have known in my life. I know there are a bunch of them around now, but I say "not a chain".

I have been gone since 1992ish, don't remember Barro's. When did you play at Marcos de Niza? I got my only H.S. interception against them in '82. I think they had a stud QB that year, I wanna say his last name was Walker, but that may be off.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been gone since 1992ish, don't remember Barro's. When did you play at Marcos de Niza? I got my only H.S. interception against them in '82. I think they had a stud QB that year, I wanna say his last name was Walker, but that may be off.
Yes, I was on that team. John Walker was the QB. Got a scholarship to ASU, got one start, completely flamed out, was pulled at half time and never played again.

What was your school?

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I was on that team. John Walker was the QB. Got a scholarship to ASU, got one start, completely flamed out, was pulled at half time and never played again.

What was your school?

Wow, that is amazing. :cheers: what position did you play?

I played for Westwood. We did not have a very good year that year unfortunately. No excuses, but had several good players leave the team and your usual injuries and such. We were 7-3 my junior year, but finished 3-7 my senior year, if my memory is correct. It was still a great time and I think of it often, maybe too much, lol. Still have dreams about my playing days, even though I am in my 50's now, very strange.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is amazing. :cheers: what position did you play?

I played for Westwood. We did not have a very good year that year unfortunately. No excuses, but had several good players leave the team and your usual injuries and such. We were 7-3 my junior year, but finished 3-7 my senior year, if my memory is correct. It was still a great time and I think of it often, maybe too much, lol. Still have dreams about my playing days, even though I am in my 50's now, very strange.
I played both sides as OT and DE. We were like 6-4 my jr year and 9-1 sr year. Marcos had had only one team ever with a winning record before. It was really coach Barro who changed that he was the OC, but had coached in the WFL and a little in colleges. We scored all kinds of points.

Sadly, for us, we were ranked #2 in the state going into the playoffs and we played our huge rival McClintock. They were the team that beat us earlier in the season. We had never beaten them in like 12 years and here was our big chance. They barely made the playoffs. Kiefer (you may remember him also at MV later) was coach and they had a few state championships. Then we laid a complete egg, all kinds of dumb mistakes and turnovers and Anthony Parker ran wild (later played for the Vikings). 0-5 for career against McClintock and those guys were aholes. I know we played dirty and were nasty (warned by the AIA twice that year for behavior and treatment of refs) but they were cruelly and quietly dirty.

I haven't actually thought of that in a long time and I still hate McClintock I guess!

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I played both sides as OT and DE. We were like 6-4 my jr year and 9-1 sr year. Marcos had had only one team ever with a winning record before. It was really coach Barro who changed that he was the OC, but had coached in the WFL and a little in colleges. We scored all kinds of points.

Sadly, for us, we were ranked #2 in the state going into the playoffs and we played our huge rival McClintock. They were the team that beat us earlier in the season. We had never beaten them in like 12 years and here was our big chance. They barely made the playoffs. Kiefer (you may remember him also at MV later) was coach and they had a few state championships. Then we laid a complete egg, all kinds of dumb mistakes and turnovers and Anthony Parker ran wild (later played for the Vikings). 0-5 for career against McClintock and those guys were aholes. I know we played dirty and were nasty (warned by the AIA twice that year for behavior and treatment of refs) but they were cruelly and quietly dirty.

I haven't actually thought of that in a long time and I still hate McClintock I guess!

Wow, that is awesome! Was the Westwood loss your senior or junior year? Sounds like you had a great coach. We had Coach Loper who has since passed away. He was excellent. I think he won a state championship at Salpointe (?) and then at Westwood after I left.

I remember Parker, he was incredible. They beat us 77-33 or something insane like that and most of those points were his. McClintock must have been your rival. Ours was Mesa, and also Mountain View, which had great teams. We were a pretty small school, its crazy that we were able to compete.

Did you play beyond high school?

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is awesome! Was the Westwood loss your senior or junior year? Sounds like you had a great coach. We had Coach Loper who has since passed away. He was excellent. I think he won a state championship at Salpointe (?) and then at Westwood after I left.

I remember Parker, he was incredible. They beat us 77-33 or something insane like that and most of those points were his. McClintock must have been your rival. Ours was Mesa, and also Mountain View, which had great teams. We were a pretty small school, its crazy that we were able to compete.

Did you play beyond high school?
We lost to Westwood when I was a Jr but won in my Sr year. I remember the basketball games we played against Westwood more th4an the football games. Those were intense and fun games.

I did have some mild interest for college. Mostly nerd schools in the Ivy League and DIII. Air Force Academy recruited me but I decided to pass. Got several academic scholarships and went to Texas A&M and managed to get a shot as a walk on. Found out those Texas fb players were at a whole other level!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but even those send a good portion back to the franchise vs a mom and pop.

I think the slogan "Please dine local" might intend for customers to spend their money at restaurants near their home.

I didn't see mom and pop mentioned in the original post.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the slogan "Please dine local" might intend for customers to spend their money at restaurants near their home.

I didn't see mom and pop mentioned in the original post.
I mean I guess I can understand why people would think that, but I still think that it is obvious.

Most people aren't travelling 25 or 30 miles away to eat, especially not enough to have a campaign over...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I guess I can understand why people would think that, but I still think that it is obvious.

Most people aren't travelling 25 or 30 miles away to eat, especially not enough to have a campaign over...

The slogan would make a lot more sense if it was a rural area and it read "please shop local."

I hear slogans like this all the time encouraging people to spend money in their local community rather than take their business to large cities.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave