Defending Kyler Murray

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought this deserved it's own thread because it's 40 minutes long.

While the title refers to Kyler it's really all about Kliff's offense, route designs etc and well worth a watch and shows how many option routes we run that puts a lot on the wide receivers. Might be why Isabella isn't getting any time. (and why it likely won;t work so well with sub par receivers replacing Nuk and Green)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's an important watch because it shows how you can stop this offense and how defenses are / can adapt to stop it. This is similar to what happened late last year and I'm hoping Kliff can adjust and has enough variety in his bag to counter the counter.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
thanks for posting that

if a 2 high safety look is successful or not, I think it will be less about scheme and more about the Cardinal o-line winning 1v1 matchups or not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't watch it now but on the local weekly 49ers show they asked why do the 49ers seem to defend Kyler Murray well and the answer from Joe Staley was pretty clear. he said because the 49ers have usually had a very good front 7 and have been able to get pressure on Murray without having to blitz. If you can pressure him with 4 guys, and have good LB's like the 49ers have generally had, it allows you to contain his runs without having to bring up a safety.

Staley also really liked the Ertz trade for the Cards said it gives Kyler another security blanket aside from just D Hop. Said last year in several games Murray was using Arnold as that second security blanket, with mixed results, having Ertz will really help.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched a bit of that really cool thanks for posting. and yes I do suspect some of why Andy doesn't play relates to the WR's have so many options stuff. IT was fairly obvious Kyler didn't really trust throwing to him the first 2 years.

Assuming he's playing Sunday I would like to see us try at least once to go over the top to him even if it's Colt, on the assumption that the 49ers won't expect it so it'll likely be without help

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This was great. Thanks for sharing!

It also makes me very scared for the future as we begin more division games. Because what I saw Green Bay do was just a better version of what he shows us Cleveland doing.

Hopefully we have the counter now. Because we will need to show the league that they just cant stay in a 2-high shell all game. And that starts with our rushing offense.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TAKE THIS DOWN BEFORE OTHER TEAMS SEE THIS!!!!

This is an area where Kliff needs to improve. He can't just expect to play one way in the NFL. Teams will eventually figure out how to play you, just from watching those that did it successfully. He needs to have a Plan B. Not a whole new offense, just enough to say "Well if you are going adjust and defend like this I can counter it by doing this".

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an area where Kliff needs to improve. He can't just expect to play one way in the NFL. Teams will eventually figure out how to play you, just from watching those that did it successfully. He needs to have a Plan B. Not a whole new offense, just enough to say "Well if you are going adjust and defend like this I can counter it by doing this".
FYI, I was joking in that post. I'm sure every team has more info than any fan or reporter. Lol.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FYI, I was joking in that post. I'm sure every team has more info than any fan or reporter. Lol.

Oh yeah I knew that!

If this guy has any idea how to counter our offense every NFL team has far more.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
You could make this video about how to stop every team. All the defensive coordinators in the league know how, it's getting the correct players, in the right spots, who have the ability to perform the task.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this deserved it's own thread because it's 40 minutes long.

While the title refers to Kyler it's really all about Kliff's offense, route designs etc and well worth a watch and shows how many option routes we run that puts a lot on the wide receivers. Might be why Isabella isn't getting any time. (and why it likely won;t work so well with sub par receivers replacing Nuk and Green)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Thank you for posting this as it seems the 49ers spent all their week have game planning trying to defend for Kyler and were blindsided by Colt. I love a sneak attack. Well done.. well done.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Been the same for the entire history of earth, yea you can throw sprinkles and confetti, illusion, magical mist direction, fluff it up like cotton candy, but if opponents have to defend the run of a bell cow back, oooohh baby, we have them right where we want them. Empty backfields early in games basically give the dline a greenlight for all out pass rush, like end of game when we’re behind! And folks blame the oline?
we have not seen our best cards are still ascending, it was nice to see the balanced game plan for colt, replacing 0 yard incompletions with manageable 2nd and 3rd downs, hesitant defense, give that advantage to Murray or Carson or Kurt for that matter. Stupid not too! yes we have had a spectacular pass game, for a over a decade. but we ran 10 times in the Super Bowl and passed the game away right before the 1/2. Don’t have to be that way, earn your play action, don’t fake it or skimp on the main course. Every time we do, the pass game improves dramatically.

marty on mountain men show said it best. Never seen anybody die in winter, from too much wood!