D-Backs Appoint Tony La Russa as Chief Baseball Officer

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather Brenly stay in the booth, I love our announcing team, they're one of the only things that make this terrible team palpable to watch. I suspect if he became the manager we'd be back with Grace as our color guy... barf.

I don't think they will put Grace in the spotlight anytime soon. He needs to be hidden until he is healthy.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think they will put Grace in the spotlight anytime soon. He needs to be hidden until he is healthy.

Healthy? Grace has said he has not quit drinking, he just has to be more responsible. I'm sure he still chain smokes too.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Healthy? Grace has said he has not quit drinking, he just has to be more responsible. I'm sure he still chain smokes too.

Then I would think we will never see him in the spotlight again for the D-Backs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Tony's background

I assumed that Tony's background was Italian. You might enjoy reading the full story.

The second child of Anthony and Olivia (Cueto) La Russa, Anthony La Russa Jr. was born in Tampa, Florida, on October 4, 1944. His paternal grandparents had emigrated from Sicily and his mother’s family was originally from Spain. The family lived in Ybor City, where La Russa’s parents had met when both were working in a cigar factory. When La Russa was in high school his father got a job driving a delivery truck for a dairy, prompting the family to move to West Tampa.

“Spanish was my first language,” said La Russa, whose mother spoke Spanish and his father both Spanish and Italian. “I had to learn English to go to school. I was raised in a Latin American, Italian American community with a bunch of people who really loved baseball. La Russa has been enshrined in both the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame and the Hispanic Heritage Baseball Museum Hall of Fame.
What a neat melting pot background.