Chipotle adds new vegan-vegetarian option to Arizona menu: Sofritas

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm super excited about this!

PHOENIX - Chipotle has gone vegan (in Arizona at least)!

The fast-food restaurant announced Monday that all of its Arizona locations will now feature Sofritas, a shredded tofu braised with chipotle chilies, roasted poblano peppers and a blend of spices, as a new vegan option.

The new menu item will be available in burritos, tacos, burrito bowls and salads.

"In creating the recipe for Sofritas, we wanted to produce something that would appeal to vegetarian and vegan customers, but that was delicious enough to have crossover appeal as well," said Found Steve Ellis, in an emailed press release.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...an-vegetarian-option-to-arizona-menu-sofritas

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Had a Sofrita Bowl today... I'm not a vegan however I do enjoy tossing in some tofu into the diet every once in a while.
It was actually pretty damn tasty! Nice 'lil kick to it... Will definitely have it again...

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Had a Sofrita Bowl today... I'm not a vegan however I do enjoy tossing in some tofu into the diet every once in a while.
It was actually pretty damn tasty! Nice 'lil kick to it... Will definitely have it again...

:thumbup:

Good to hear!

I can't wait to get one myself. :)

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I love Chipotle and this item looks tasty.

But on a different note, what is up with Chipotle's sour cream? The consistency is so thin, like liquid. Sour cream should have some jiggle to it. I pass on the sour cream there for that reason alone.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

But on a different note, what is up with Chipotle's sour cream? The consistency is so thin, like liquid. Sour cream should have some jiggle to it. I pass on the sour cream there for that reason alone.

I think its supposed to be more like Crema Mexicana.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Never tried the sour cream... I'm one of those guys who never, ever varies my order - except in this instance to try the Sofrita. And even then, I didn't vary any other ingredient that I normally include. For me, it's ALWAYS a bowl with: Brown Rice, Black Beans, Fajitas (peppers & onions), Chicken (or Sofrita), medium salsa and some cheese... along with a large Arnold Palmer that I make myself (mixing Lemonade and Iced Tea).
Probably have that on average 2-3 times a week...

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Never tried the sour cream... I'm one of those guys who never, ever varies my order - except in this instance to try the Sofrita. And even then, I didn't vary any other ingredient that I normally include. For me, it's ALWAYS a bowl with: Brown Rice, Black Beans, Fajitas (peppers & onions), Chicken (or Sofrita), medium salsa and some cheese... along with a large Arnold Palmer that I make myself (mixing Lemonade and Iced Tea).
Probably have that on average 2-3 times a week...

I just read an article on azcentral and it says that guac is free is you don't order meat. Is that true? Have I been missing out on free avocados all this time?!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I just read an article on azcentral and it says that guac is free is you don't order meat. Is that true? Have I been missing out on free avocados all this time?!

Wow. Never heard that before but I will definitely check into the next time I'm at Chipotle... which could be tomorrow! ;)

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Guac is "free" on a vegetarian bowl. The veg bowl only costs a few cents less than a meat bowl so the Guac takes the place of the meat. Without the Guac you're paying $7 for some beans, rice and salsa.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Guac is "free" on a vegetarian bowl. The veg bowl only costs a few cents less than a meat bowl so the Guac takes the place of the meat. Without the Guac you're paying $7 for some beans, rice and salsa.

Isn't the guac like $1.50 or something crazy like that (as a paid add-on)?

I never paid much attention to the prices because I always get the veg bowl, but it does seem odd that it would be just a little bit cheaper than the meat bowls.

I guess the next question is whether sofritas bowls will get free guac. Tofu isn't meat, obviously, but it plays a similar role.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Isn't the guac like $1.50 or something crazy like that (as a paid add-on)?

I never paid much attention to the prices because I always get the veg bowl, but it does seem odd that it would be just a little bit cheaper than the meat bowls.

I guess the next question is whether sofritas bowls will get free guac. Tofu isn't meat, obviously, but it plays a similar role.

Yep... With any meat order, the Guacamole is a $1.50 extra. Which is why I never order it as it's simply stupid to pay a buck fifty for a small scoop of Guacamole, even though it is high quality stuff.
I'll check into the Sofrita and Guacamole thing first chance I get... My hunch is that the guacamole will be extra as, when I paid for the Sofrita Bowl yesterday it was the same exact price as the chicken bowl I always order...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Chipotle is not my thing. If I want a burrito or Mexican food, I have places to go, or I will make it at home.

Oh - for the record, I don't even consider Chipotle "Mexican Food"... For me, it's a very tasty, quick, healthy lunch... Low carbs. Low fat. High Protien. High quality food...

For sure - if I want a burrito (which I never get at Chipotle), I have my places here in Phoenix to score the real deal... ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Ya, I just find it too salty and not that high of quality. :shrug:

I tend to lean toward salty stuff... But, the quality can't be refuted. The food you eat at a Chipotle is sourced locally - typically no more than 100 miles from the restaurant you are eating at. And just about all of it is organic. Chipotle is truly one of the highest quality "fast food" joints you can find.

But, taste is an entirely different matter...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard