Charles Woodson Trade Rumor?

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
No one has posted anything on this. Is it because you don't believe there is any substance to it? That's never stopped anyone before; so I'll pass this on to see what reaction I can get. I don't have a link but it involves the Raiders so I'm sure one of you can find one.

Lee Hamilton reported yesterday that the Cardinals have contacted Oakland about a swap for Woodson involving the Cards high second round choice in the upcoming draft and OT L.J. Shelton. The Raider fans that called in response were not opposed to getting rid of Sir Charles. Maybe that's why nobody on this board has mentioned it since we don't need a primadonna to compete with Dennis Green.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Redmark said:
No one has posted anything on this. Is it because you don't believe there is any substance to it? That's never stopped anyone before; so I'll pass this on to see what reaction I can get. I don't have a link but it involves the Raiders so I'm sure one of you can find one.

Lee Hamilton reported yesterday that the Cardinals have contacted Oakland about a swap for Woodson involving the Cards high second round choice in the upcoming draft and OT L.J. Shelton. The Raider fans that called in response were not opposed to getting rid of Sir Charles. Maybe that's why nobody on this board has mentioned it since we don't need a primadonna to compete with Dennis Green.

I read about it on the bills board, but I figured I wouldn't post it until I had some more info.

I can't see us paying the 10.5 that he would get.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Redmark said:

Lee Hamilton reported yesterday that the Cardinals have contacted Oakland about a swap for Woodson involving the Cards high second round choice in the upcoming draft and OT L.J. Shelton. The Raider fans that called in response were not opposed to getting rid of Sir Charles. Maybe that's why nobody on this board has mentioned it since we don't need a primadonna to compete with Dennis Green.[/QUOTE

No way .. It is just a rumor by a Raider fan. First off Denny said he wants more draft picks. Also he does not like over priced players. Throw in the fact that Woodson is really not even in the top 10 corners.

If anything the Raiders should be sending a second round pick with Woodson, because he is so overpriced. They will be lucky to get a second for him ....

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
clif said:
I read about it on the bills board, but I figured I wouldn't post it until I had some more info.

I can't see us paying the 10.5 that he would get.

As I recall, he was a holdout last year and was finally given a new deal or extension (not sure) and a big pay day. Wouldn't Oakland have to take the cap hit?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Redmark said:
As I recall, he was a holdout last year and was finally given a new deal or extension (not sure) and a big pay day. Wouldn't Oakland have to take the cap hit?

no he was franchised. I just dont see this deal making sense for the cards. I am also unclear on the raiders line situation so.

The money is just way too much and as thundercard said... we want picks as opposed to players.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
He was franchised by Oakland this year.....no long term deal....

So then he's a FA and can't be traded? Well that explains it. Hacksaw Hamilton - Amazing! Just Amazing!! :eek:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I can't imagine trading that for a corner who was great, but is now only above average and lives off of his name. Trade Shelton for Surtain if that's what you want to do. Miami's O-Line is Miserable.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redmark said:
So then he's a FA and can't be traded?

Yah he can. Any franchise tag player can be trade signed contract or not. Plus not to mention he already signed his tender offer.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
I can't imagine trading that for a corner who was great, but is now only above average and lives off of his name. Trade Shelton for Surtain if that's what you want to do. Miami's O-Line is Miserable.

With Starks gone - we're going to have to find a cover corner somewhere quick and Surtain or Rolle have impressed me a lot more than Woodson; although I loved him in college and was hoping we would draft him back then.

I'm still try to find out his status with the Raiders. Do they control his rights or not?

Thanks

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redmark said:
I'm still try to find out his status with the Raiders. Do they control his rights or not?

Thanks

If you put the franchise tag on someone you own their rights, thats the whole point of the franchise tag. Signed contract or not all you need is the tag.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
If you put the franchise tag on someone you own their rights, thats the whole point of the franchise tag. Signed contract or not all you need is the tag.

But that was last season, wasn't it?

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
No he was retagged, and signed quickly afterwards

and if a trade is consummated the new team would have to assume the salary which is 10.5 million for 1 year and than try to negotiate a longterm deal with him again next year?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redmark said:
and if a trade is consummated the new team would have to assume the salary which is 10.5 million for 1 year and than try to negotiate a longterm deal with him again next year?

Yes

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

O.K. - I knew you guys weren't bothering to discuss this silly rumor for some reason. Hope I haven't distracted you from the serious deals that are pending.

Thanks - I've never heard one thing from Lee "********" Hamilton about the Cards that was ever close to the truth.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Until we sign somebody else and argue over how smart it was, it is completely acceptable to discuss silly rumors.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Redmark said:

Yes and it is possible for a team to renegotiate with him now narrowing his salary cap hit for this year's cap (see Randy Moss). However until the new deal is done the team must be able to accept the amount of his current contract ... in woodson's case around $10 million

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Redmark said:

Not neccessarily.

Yes if the paramteres dont state otherwise, but the trade can be contingent upon Woodson restructuring.

It would be ridiculous for the Cards to give up a 2nd rounder, LJ Shelton, AND pay 10.5 million for the rights to a guy for 1 year. Any trade would include a restructured cotnract.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't post it because it makes no sense. The big question now is will Gallery move to LT or stay at RT, it's highly unlikely they bring in LJ who we all assume wants to play LT when they have a mini "controversy" already because Gallery couldn't win that job last year.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Redmark said:

Not necessarily. When someone is tagged, whether it is a franchise or transition tag, or a tendered RFA, they cannot be traded to another team without first agreeing to a long-term contract with the new team.

Use Champ as an example from last year. Denver couldn't have traded for him with just the franchise tag as his contract. They had to have worked out a long-term deal with him before the trade. Only the Skins could have kept Champ with that one year tender value.

The only difference here is that Woodson has signed his tender, while Champ did not. I don't know if that alters the situation. If it doesn't, the Cards wouldn't take on that $10+M cap hit from C-Wood's franchise tag, but just whatever the cap hit would be from the long-term deal he'd worked out.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Lee Hamilton?

Not Lee Hacksaw Hamilton, right?

The very same bozo. Never forget when he was announcer for Chargers calling game against the Cards said something like this with Cards on offense:

Pass intercepted by Philadelphia! When we actually completed a pass!

Never said a word about it. People make mistakes all the time but this egomaniac never admits it. He has mellowed a bit and become not as confrontational but I still question anything he says about Cards.

Always thought he held a grudge against Phoenix sports teams, especially the Cardinals, since he was booted off the airways many years ago. Anyone remember him from back then and can shed some light on that subject?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Here is the problem with Woodson --

NFL rules say that contracts cant be redone for one year after signing --

that is the reason that Hambrick and Zellner's midseason extensions last year were voided.

Woodson just signed a one year contract two weeks (or so) ago.

So as noted earlier, whomever trades for Woodson would have to live with a $10 mm contract and cap figure for this year. Yikes.

BTW-- not to totally rekindle an old debate, but I believe that this is precisely why the Cardinals didnt franchise Boston a couple years ago -- they were afraid he would actually sign it, and then they would have been stuck paying huge dollars to a guy who was a problem, and was probably untradeable with the one year contract.

OP
OP
R

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Here is the problem with Woodson --

NFL rules say that contracts cant be redone for one year after signing --

that is the reason that Hambrick and Zellner's midseason extensions last year were voided.

Woodson just signed a one year contract two weeks (or so) ago.

So as noted earlier, whomever trades for Woodson would have to live with a $10 mm contract and cap figure for this year. Yikes.

BTW-- not to totally rekindle an old debate, but I believe that this is precisely why the Cardinals didnt franchise Boston a couple years ago -- they were afraid he would actually sign it, and then they would have been stuck paying huge dollars to a guy who was a problem, and was probably untradeable with the one year contract.

Thank you for the clear and precise explanation and relating it to recent history with players I am familiar with. Looks like Woodson is Al Davis' problem.

Wonder how they can fit that contract with what Moss is getting. Seems like another round of cap hell for somebody in the offing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard