Cats vs. Bruins

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sloppy effort, poor execution. I could go on, but I haven't been this pissed off over a Wildcat game in a long time.

Inexcusable

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sloppy effort, poor execution. I could go on, but I haven't been this pissed off over a Wildcat game in a long time.

Inexcusable
Who is that in your signature? Can you make the picture any bigger? Whoever it is it makes him look pudgy and four feet tall.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Inexcusable

That guy in the picture is the reason you lost. He got so obsessed with trying to isolate hill and Perry on the UCLA bigs he completely abandoned his offense. He totally froze out the guards 29 points on 28 shots for Hill and Perry combined.

he also missed the most obvious strategy, UCLA played several minutes in the 2nd half in the bonus, with an exhausted Lane and Stover together and never once had one of his guards, none of whom had foul problems, just foul them and make them shoot. Stover was 5-22 from the line in his career before last night, 3-6 last night, Lane seems to get nervous at the line not nearly as good a FT shooter as he should be. We were talking about it on the UCLA board last night we couldn't believe UA didnt' intentionally foul those guys.

Very ugly game.

TJ

Reaction score
That guy in the picture is the reason you lost. He got so obsessed with trying to isolate hill and Perry on the UCLA bigs he completely abandoned his offense. He totally froze out the guards 29 points on 28 shots for Hill and Perry combined.

he also missed the most obvious strategy, UCLA played several minutes in the 2nd half in the bonus, with an exhausted Lane and Stover together and never once had one of his guards, none of whom had foul problems, just foul them and make them shoot. Stover was 5-22 from the line in his career before last night, 3-6 last night, Lane seems to get nervous at the line not nearly as good a FT shooter as he should be. We were talking about it on the UCLA board last night we couldn't believe UA didnt' intentionally foul those guys.

Very ugly game.

It was a team "effort" Russ. Not just a Miller problem.

Nick Johnson had his worst game as a Wildcat. The entire team, including its leaders, was taking ill-advised jumpers. Kevin Parrom showed how limited he is post gun shot wound.

In addition, I think the team prepared too hard to deal with wide load Josh Smith only to learn he wouldn't be suiting up. The Cats got lackadaisical and believed a win was already in their back pocket.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nick Johnson had his worst game as a Wildcat. The entire team, including its leaders, was taking ill-advised jumpers. Kevin Parrom showed how limited he is post gun shot wound.

In addition, I think the team prepared too hard to deal with wide load Josh Smith only to learn he wouldn't be suiting up. The Cats got lackadaisical and believed a win was already in their back pocket.

Right but once it was apparent Josh wasn't going to play the strategy should have changed. Howland said at the post game his big concern was how his bigs would handle Hil and Perry when they step away because they can both shoot, but Miller didn't even try to exploit that because they were trying to drive everytime.

And I couldn't believe he didn't exploit UCLA having to have Stover and lane in together that much none of the guards were in foul trouble he could have easily used 2-3 fouls and almost forced howland to get one of them off the court, they are both not good foul shooters.

on Johnson I think he's got the same issue right now Powell does for UCLA, everyone has enough tape on him now and they're taking away what he wants to do. With Powell they make him go left and make him shoot jumpers, with Johnson they actually want to make him go right because he always wants to go left and then pull up for the jumper. UCLA did it all night make him go right and if he goes left play him for the jumpshot.

They're freshmen, they will adjust, conference games are a whole new animal.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right but once it was apparent Josh wasn't going to play the strategy should have changed. Howland said at the post game his big concern was how his bigs would handle Hil and Perry when they step away because they can both shoot, but Miller didn't even try to exploit that because they were trying to drive everytime.

And I couldn't believe he didn't exploit UCLA having to have Stover and lane in together.

on Johnson I think he's got the same issue right now Powell does for UCLA, everyone has enough tape on him now and they're taking away what he wants to do. With Powell they make him go left and make him shoot jumpers, with Johnson they actually want to make him go right because he always wants to go left and then pull up for the jumper. UCLA did it all night make him go right and if he goes left play him for the jumpshot.

They're freshmen, they will adjust, conference games are a whole new animal.

Not sure what to make of Josiah he was on the verge of out of control all night. On that breakaway dunk he took 4 steps and got away with it, at the end of the half that crazy drive he double dribbled at the foul line and then got bailed out on a weak foul call. You could hear Miller yelling at him to slow down during the game. But then mayes was silent so Miller had to play Josiah.

I knew he wasn't John Wall good right away but I am surprised he's still having this much trouble adjusting to college, he's just always sped up.

I guess the bright side is the odds are a lot better he's back next year when the bigs come in and then you are MUCH better.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hill and Perry can't shoot is the problem. It's going to be a problem for this team to score, nobody can consistently create for themselves and others in more than one way. There's literally nobody that can attack and shoot on the roster, it's either one or the other. Parrom was supposed to be that guy but I get the feeling that he's probably done as a basketball player.

TJ

Reaction score
Who is that in your signature? Can you make the picture any bigger? Whoever it is it makes him look pudgy and four feet tall.

Vince Vaughn after an eating binge ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill and Perry can't shoot is the problem. It's going to be a problem for this team to score, nobody can consistently create for themselves and others in more than one way. There's literally nobody that can attack and shoot on the roster, it's either one or the other. Parrom was supposed to be that guy but I get the feeling that he's probably done as a basketball player.

I hope you mean this year? That was such a terrible story I'd hate to think it's actually going to impact the kids' long term career. I do wonder if he came back too quickly though he's had a couple of flashes but is clearly not the same athlete as before right now.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I hope you mean this year? That was such a terrible story I'd hate to think it's actually going to impact the kids' long term career. I do wonder if he came back too quickly though he's had a couple of flashes but is clearly not the same athlete as before right now.

I honestly don't know, but the kid can't really do much of anything right now.

I think part of it is mental also. He's obviously gone through a lot in the past several months.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson