Cardinals WILL be a better team in 2003....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
..... But don't get too stoked up, they really can't get much worse.

But, because I am, really, a nice guy, I will give you a true, outside, opinion as to how I view this team, without the bias one usually gets from most of you guys in here.

By the way, I respect you guys for being some of the most loyal and passionate Cardinal fans there are..... or you wouldn't be here.

Anyway, why do I think they will be a better team? Here is the NEMananylis.

1: While Jeff Blake is not really, what I would call, a "winning" quarterback, at least he has field intelligence, something that Jake Plummer has never had, and never willl have.

Upgrading the quarterback position has been one of the only things this team has done correctly in free agency, however, it is a major upgrade. It should have been done years ago.

2: Emmitt Smith. While I don[t believe that Smith will do very much, his mere presence on the field, in certain situations, will allow the offense to vary their attack.

The negative side, however, of the signing of Smith, will be that, unless they upgrade their receiver corps, opposing defenses will be able to stack the box on Smith, not having to worry about the passing game, and might be able to make him ineffective.

And, there is concern, on my part, as to whether Smith, at his age, can remain injury free and handle the "heat" conditions on a week to week basis.

Hodgins, as big and fat as he is, could be a plus for Smith.

The rest of the running backs are "average" at best.

3: The key to any improvement on the offensive line will be to move leonard Davis to left tackle, something I have been advocating since they drafted him. For all the "positives" about how he has played at right guard, moving him to his "natural" postion will be the right thing to do, and will enable the offense to get the "best" out of him, not the "almost" best.

However, as was the case last year, the offrensive line is very, very thin, and once again, possibly just "one" major injury away from chaos. The backup offensive linemen are barely capable of playing for any other NFL team.

4: Tight end is a BIG question mark. Freddie Jones came, with promise, yet failed to deliver. Was it Plummer's fault or was it Jones' fault? If he doesnt produce this season, we will know the answer.

The offensive game plan MUST include a lot of Freddie Jones, over the middle, if it is to succeed. By using Jones as a weapon early in the season, it will force opposing defenses to loosen up on the Cards wide receivers, slightly, and give them opportunities. This is necessary because, overall, the wide receiver corps is non-existent.

If Jones goes down with an injury, the TE position becomes non existent, too.

5: Wide receivers. Nice kids, but, for the most part, none would be more than backups on any other NFL team, except Frank Sanders, and who knows if he will be here. And, who wants him, anyway?

6: Defensively, all of you know there are major problems....the secondary is extremely thin, and weak. IMO, they were conned by Dexter Jackson, who is vastly over rated and made a name for himself with a mere 30 minutes of football in the SuperBowl, but other than that has had, barely, and average career, and with a defensive team that made him look better than he actually is. The DL has no pass rush at all, and Wendell Bryant will not make a difference.....So, is Suggs the answer, if he is available? I think not.

Dewayne Robertson would be MY choice, in the first round, not Suggs.

So, with all those negatives above, why do Ithink this team will be better? Mainly because the distraction, and the departure of Jake Plummer, being the main cog.

For years, six to be exact, and even prior to the drafting of Plummer, I have been, probably, his biggest antagonist, and took a lot of heat for it. Many of you, finally, saw the light, and how his presence set this team back years and years, of progress.

Now that he is gone, this team can take the next step forward. I don't believe it will be a big step, in fact they may not win any more games than they did last year, but the team will Look better,, play better, and for the most part, be competitive.

It will be very hard to lure decent free agents here, but by looking like they belong, that could change.

Now, for the draft, do they go offense, or defense? Or, should they make a deal and acquire additional draft choices.

Conventional wisdom, and the way they have been in the past with high first round picks, and their refusal to bend over contracts, leads me to believe that they would be better served trading the pick, if the can, and pick up a later round pick, or two, or a player from another team......

This team needs an awful lot of bodies.

So, there's the NEMananysis. Take it for what you want.

This is still and very bad football team, one that has been mismanaged for many years.

However, as weak, and thin, as they are, they WILL be better, maybe not in wins and losses, but better , and more competitive.

But, if Blake gets hurt, or Emmitt goes down......there is no depth behind them.......

I have never seen an NFL franchise dig a hole as deep as this franchise has dug, not even Cincinnati.

And, for the record, don't be conned by Rod Graves, he is still, and always will be, a Bidwill "yes" man...... He screwed up the Bears, and he will continue to make the same mistakes here.....

Until the Bidwills loosen their grip on any GM, or Personnel director, don't expect too much change, just enough to keep all of the Cardinal fans in line with a little hope.

Anyway, have a nice day.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No one asked you for your completely irrelevant opinion.

Besides you happen to be the most closeminded person that I know, whose opinion is most discounted. I hear you on KDUS all the time and it is apparent to everyone that Jurecki and Lewis can't wait to get rid you (like a bad case of gonorhea!)

OP
OP
G

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Actually, if you knew, Jurecki and I have met, and he has called me on several occasions...and, BTW, I am drafting for the Patriots in his mock draft...

Please, dont say things that you really know nothing about.

And, why dont you discuss the football comments that I posted, rather than another personal attack....you see, it is you, and yours, that initiates the personal ****....not me...

I just took the time to post some pertinent football comments, not personal atttacks.... so, dont you have any response to the comments? But, then again, you are looking to get banned, I guess. :wave:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by GhostOfChowder
Actually, if you knew, Jurecki and I have met, and he has called me on several occasions...and, BTW, I am drafting for the Patriots in his mock draft...

Please, dont say things that you really know nothing about.

And, why dont you discuss the football comments that I posted, rather than another personal attack....you see, it is you, and yours, that initiates the personal ****....not me...

I just took the time to post some pertinent football comments, not personal atttacks.... so, dont you have any response to the comments? But, then again, you are looking to get banned, I guess. :wave:

I will see who gets banned and who doesn't.

I just don't care what you say about our team, because your opinion is so unobjective, you might as well be a Cowboy fan. You go to great lengths to criticize the team, and maybe if you were more objective, I might actually will be willing to listen to you.

OP
OP
G

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, you think that my post is unobjective? Maybe you dont want to hear the truth, maybe thats it?

So, what do you have to counter, or agree, with my points?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So, you think that my post is unobjective? Maybe you dont want to hear the truth, maybe thats it?

So, what do you have to counter, or agree, with my points?

That's the root of the problem Nem. You think that you are 100% right, while many others don't. You say things at times that are blatantly wrong and it is obvious to any Cards fan.

You go to great lengths to criticize the team, even criticzing players that have played well.

OP
OP
G

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wait a minute , little buddy, doesnt everyone who posts believe they are right? I believe that I am right, although I may not be, no different than you believe you are right, when you post something, or anyone else, for that matter.

People, by nature, don't post something without believing they are right, whether they are, or aren't.

When you say blue is green, you say that because you believe it is correct.

If I say, that red is pink, I say that because I believe it is correct.

In either case, both of those comments may, or may not be , correct, but that is the reason these boards exist, for pro, and con, discussion...and when people take the time to post something, be it me, you, or anyone else, we post what WE believe to be correct, and, in some cases it may be, and in somce cases it may not be.

Only in time can we determine who was correct, or who was not.

Can you , at least, agree with that premise?

Or, maybe I am incorrect? :thumbup:

BTW, you said that I am "blatantly" wrong. But, that is YOUR opinion, not mine.... and that is what discussion is all about.

Perhaps I AM "blatantly" wrong, or perhaps I am not. Maybe you are "blatantly" wrong, as are others.... but, we WILL find out, in time, won't we?

And, once again, that is the reason these boards exist, to discuss both sides of the coin, not just one side.

Last edited:

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
gotta disagree

on the RB situation. I think Shipp is a very good RB. With a healthy line and a pssing game to mix things up, just a little, he could have a 1,000 yd. season. I also disagree on the WR situation. We need one veteran threat and acouple of those guys could havebreak out years. The D line needs help, but our backfield is fine to me and I think will compete.

OP
OP
G

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hey, jstadvl, nice to see you. Hope we can get together again at the Stadium Club this season, and you have a permanent invite at our place.

I am not that impressed with Shipp. In each game he has had ONE major run but for the most part, his YPC average for the rest of the game hovers around 2 yards per carry.

As far as the WR's go...yes, a veteran WR would be nice, but where is he going to come from? Would a quality WR risk his career with this team, right now?

These guys are nice, but for the most part, they are barely backups on most other NFL teams.

Sure, they will make an occasional nice catch. but teams will not have to use double coverage, or worry too much about deep threats.

As far as the Befensive backfield goes, once again, nice guys, but no depth at all...one injury away from decimation. And, dont look for Dexter Jackson to be the guy to revitilize it....

IMO, of course.

I checked his record out...and it's barely average.

He's another guy who benefited from a Super Bowl performance...and that was only in 30 minutes of football. Over all, he lacks consistency.

And, dont forget, he had the benefit of playing behind a tremendous Defensive line with the Bucs, one that put a lot of pressure on QB's, forcing them into mistakes.....

I think that Jackson will be OK, but not the great player many of you are expecting him to be.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big Robertson fan but I'm curious how many times you've seen him play? I have been touting him moreso because I didn't expect Suggs to be on the board, given a choice of the two right now I think I would take Suggs because pass rush is so critical to this team.

I think most NFL teams have thin secondaries these days it's the nature of the cap. If the Cards get a pass rush the secondary will look a LOT better this year.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
True

about Jackson having a great D line. We just need a decent one with some pressure. WR I was thinking we should take a look at Stokes. Not saying he's the answer, but could be. The others are burners. If Blake can hook up once or twice with Gilmore or McAddley D's will have to play them tighter. I think your wrong about Shipp, but, only time will tell. As with anything else we do the rest of the off season.

OP
OP
G

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jstadvl: I agree they should look at Stokes, but, like Seau, would he not want to come to this franchise for fear of having his previous career be whitwashed by trying to perform with a weak team?

Russ: I just have bad vibes about Suggs. I can see NFL offensive lines, and the better fullbacks, controlling his pass rush. He doesnt' have the total package, either.

But, Robertson, he seems to have it all.....at least from what I have read and seen.

There is rumor that the Pats have a deal working with the Bears. Pats have 2 first round picks. Rumor is the Pats give Chicago their number 14 and a defensive back (probably Tebucky Jones) for the number 4 pick in the first round and a 3rd round pick. Then, they will draft Robertson. It's only a rumor,though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jstadvl: I agree they should look at Stokes, but, like Seau, would he not want to come to this franchise for fear of having his previous career be whitwashed by trying to perform with a weak team?

Russ: I just have bad vibes about Suggs. I can see NFL offensive lines, and the better fullbacks, controlling his pass rush. He doesnt' have the total package, either.

But, Robertson, he seems to have it all.....at least from what I have read and seen.

There is rumor that the Pats have a deal working with the Bears. Pats have 2 first round picks. Rumor is the Pats give Chicago their number 14 and a defensive back (probably Tebucky Jones) for the number 4 pick in the first round and a 3rd round pick. Then, they will draft Robertson. It's only a rumor,though.

That's a pretty sweet rumor, unload a safety you probably don't want(because he hasn't lived up to his draft status) and a #14 and get the #4 and a 3rd round pick?

I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were the Pats.

I really like Robertson I saw them twice this year and once the prior year and he essentially dominated the middle of the field every game. He's mean too he is going to be the perfect type of player to team with Wendell Bryant, Wendell is a slasher, Robertson is a space eater who moves the OL back.

I haven't seen a lot of Suggs but I'm inclined to take him because we need pass rush and Robertson is not going to give the potential bang there that Suggs could.

I would be thrilled with either.

OP
OP
G

GhostOfChowder

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ, I have to go out now. But, I will be back later, if not banned, and we can continue this discussion later.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
I'm a big Robertson fan but I'm curious how many times you've seen him play? I have been touting him moreso because I didn't expect Suggs to be on the board, given a choice of the two right now I think I would take Suggs because pass rush is so critical to this team.

I think most NFL teams have thin secondaries these days it's the nature of the cap. If the Cards get a pass rush the secondary will look a LOT better this year.

My first choice is Suggs. However, having seen some film on him recently, Robertson has shot up my board. He and Bryant would cause a lot of trouble.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Chowder

Good luck on the coming up draft and season with the Pats. Maybe I will finally make it out to the Vine in Scottsdale this year.

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
The offensive line is very, very thin.... What?????? Any team would appear thin w/ the injuries we had last year. The line did very well considering.

Shelton Kendall Garcia Davis Clement

Roundtree Dish Starkey Spikes Roundtree

Dish, Roundtree, Starkey, & Spikes have all started games in this league. The line is fine, I do like the idea of drafting a center in rounds 2 or 3 though.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by dmoney
The offensive line is very, very thin.... What?????? Any team would appear thin w/ the injuries we had last year. The line did very well considering.

Shelton Kendall Garcia Davis Clement

Roundtree Dish Starkey Spikes Roundtree

Dish, Roundtree, Starkey, & Spikes have all started games in this league. The line is fine, I do like the idea of drafting a center in rounds 2 or 3 though.

I have to agree with your view dmoney. I think our O-line is in the best shape it has ever been, well except for the glorious years of the mid seventies.

My one concern is the health of many of our starters. Kendall has not played an entire season since he has been a Card. Clement is coming off some very troubling tricep tendon injuries and does have long term concerns with his back. With the release of Grutts we have one less injury prone player, but he was very good when healthy. The only concern I have with BIG is that he is so big he may have long term issues with his joints, not a major concern at this time however.

I would theorize that the Cards front office shares some of these concerns since they shored this unit up in FA.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If Holliday is signed then I'm leaning toward Robertson even if Suggs is there. Suggs could produce 10+ sacks a year, but I'm worried that he's too one-dimential. Robertson's presence should improve the play of all others players on the line and make the entire line better. So even if Suggs might add more value as player than Robertson, I think Robertson would raise the aggregated value of the line more than Suggs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chowder, not a bad analysis of the team. There are a couple things I don't agree with but alot I do. One area is at RB. I think there is quality...but pretty much unproven...depth there. Shipp deserves to start for what he did last year but it looks like he will at a minimum split time with or outright backup Smith. I like Anderson alot (his college career is similar to Shipp's just at a bigger school) and while the jury is still out of Scobey, indications are he could be a decent player. Jones is obviously gone.

At TE, F Jones was underutilized offensively last year, both in game plan and execution. There were times he was racing downfield WIDE open and Jake never looked his way. Blake is an upgrade and I believe Freddie will have a breakout year with Blake at the helm.

Defense is still a major area of concern obviously. Pissed me off Colvin went with the Pats but that is the way it goes I guess. There is still no pass rush although signing Holliday would (sadly) improve the Dline alot. I also think there are still questions at CB even with a pass rush in place...enough that I am hoping for a CB drafted round 1...Newman and if he is gone Trufant.

You replied to Russ about Suggs and I am happy to see someone else has the reservations I do. I am completely unsold on the fact he can make the jump and excel. He might be productive but he WILL NOT be the dominant force everyone believes he will be IMO. In fact, I will go so far as to say he has bust written all over him. I am the lone wolf on the board regarding Suggs I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.