Cardinal Draft Day Horror stories-What is your worst memory?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
You can't say guys like McElroy or Wadsworth because <b>at the time we picked them</b>, everyone was excited. We didn't find out they sucked until years later.

The truly horrible picks are the ones that you know were a waste immediately.

If you type in Clyde Duncan NFL into Yahoo you'll get a link(4th or 5th one) to an article on best and worst drafts of all time. There are at least 2 Cards drafts there including the 84 draft of Clyde Duncan et al, we got one guy from that draft who lasted more than THREE years in the NFL, Niko Noga!

George Boone was horrible but in his defense he was basically being asked to pick guys that would sign cheaper than the ones everyone else was picking.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Lee was a second round pick, not the #5 pick in the draft. If we picked him at #5 i think the league would have revoked our franchise.

You are of course correct - I thought I had put the #5 pick of the second round, but left out the second round part - thanks for the catch.

Drafting a kicker with the 32nd pick overall (one team did not have a first rounder that year) is almost reason to revoke the franchise.

OP
OP
Lomax to Green 84

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anthony Bell was another wing dinger. Looked like Tarzan but played like a wimp. I remember the first game of 1987 (Bell's second season) when the Cards played the Cowboys and Bell who obviously had some physical skills but was totally lacking in instincts had a clear path to a Dallas reciever running down the sidelines, instead of nailing the guy he lunged and totally missed the receiver. Almost cost the Cards the game.

Bell was one of those typical Indy Combine freaks who probably could lift a truck and could run like a deer in shorts, but was basically useless on the field. Someone earlier mentioned the Cards wanting to cut Clyde Duncan his rookie season, I also heard that there was serious discussion about doing that with Bell. Bell's rookie year was such a waste that they didn't even play him on special teams.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Holian
Bell's rookie year was such a waste that they didn't even play him on special teams.

Stop it, Michael Stone's ears are burning.

Rutledge too.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm with those who say Stouffer.
That whole scenario was the epitome of ineptness on the Cards part....for a number of reasons.

That and the Suns DJ for Rick Robey still have me shaking my head to this day.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
2001 - big

2000 - TJ

1999 - Shelton?

1998 - Tom Knight?

man thats weak but thats as far back as I can go on our first rounders.

my uniformed opinion would be for the clyde duncan debacle. i believe that one actually got some national attention for being so horendous of a pick.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
That whole scenario was the epitome of ineptness on the Cards part....for a number of reasons.

As an old time Celtics fan, I loved that deal. It's right up there with the #1 overall (Joe Barry Carroll) and #13 (Rickey Brown) picks in the 1980 draft for Robert Parish and the #3 pick (Kevin McHale). Two stiffs for two Hall of Famers! Auerbach in his prime was the best there ever was.

I go with Kelly Stouffer or Clyde Duncan as all-time Cardinal debacles.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stop it, Michael Stone's ears are burning.

Rutledge too.

Awww, C'mon now ED.....What are you going to say when Stone has his big breakout this year, as I am predicting?
.....and yes, I am serious. I know thats going out on a limb but I do say he starts earning his keep this year. He was a project the day he was drafted, just like McCown. Young, great physical talent, but green and raw. It would have been nice to see him develop faster, but to me, this year...his third is when you would normally expect him to start putting it together. I think he will!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awww, C'mon now ED.....What are you going to say when Stone has his big breakout this year, as I am predicting?
.....and yes, I am serious. I know thats going out on a limb but I do say he starts earning his keep this year. He was a project the day he was drafted, just like McCown. Young, great physical talent, but green and raw. It would have been nice to see him develop faster, but to me, this year...his third is when you would normally expect him to start putting it together. I think he will!

That's what you predicted about him before last season as well. You may as well stick to your guns. You're already wrong about him, so what does it really matter if you're wrong about him for another year? You can only be vindicated if he does have a good year. I wouldn't bet a wad of used gum on him "breaking out", but anything is possible I guess.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I'll say "you're right". The more important question is, what will <b>you</b> say to me when he gets cut in camp? I'm sure you'll just disregard it or start posting about how he's going to be a star somewhere else.

Michael Stone hasn't been playing poorly for two years.....Michael Stone hasn't been playing at all for two years. When a guy sucks so much they won't even let him on the field to cover kicks, there is a big problem. Lots of guys struggle on the field for a year or two then turn it around (Ray Thompson). Very few guys sit on the bench scratching their heads for two years and suddenly get a clue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The one thing with Stouffer was at the time nobody knew why we picked a QB, it was because Lomax had the hip problem but that wasn't public knowledge yet. So the reach was largely because we knew we were going to need a QB in the not so distant future.

Bad pick still.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinal Bob
As an old time Celtics fan, I loved that deal. It's right up there with the #1 overall (Joe Barry Carroll) and #13 (Rickey Brown) picks in the 1980 draft for Robert Parish and the #3 pick (Kevin McHale). Two stiffs for two Hall of Famers! Auerbach in his prime was the best there ever was.

I go with Kelly Stouffer or Clyde Duncan as all-time Cardinal debacles.

And as a Warrior fan I say damn you Cardinal Bob (-:

Carroll wasn't a stiff he just was never as good as people expected (20 PPG and 8-9 RPG for several years), Brown was a total stiff.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No Ed, If Stone doesn't make it this year I will eat my crow.
And by the way, he did see SOME playing time last year.
Not only on special teams but he did actually play a little as DB.

and AJ....I don't remember picking him to have a breakout last year. Yes I have been high on him since the day he was drafted, and hoped he would contribute sooner, but it soon became apparent that he was too young and raw to expect sudden miracles.

I made the statement right after that draft that both he and Adrian Wilson would be pro-bowlers before Fred Smoot.
So far, I'm still not wrong on that call either. ;>)

If Stone doesn't make it this year, then I will readily admit he had more than a fair chance and just couldn't cut it.

Until then, I do indeed stick to my story. :cool:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only been a Cards fan since they moved to AZ, so I have to say TJ. Never liked the pick, even BEFORE he stepped onto the field.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

Carroll wasn't a stiff he just was never as good as people expected (20 PPG and 8-9 RPG for several years), Brown was a total stiff.

He certainly was no Robert Parish! LOL!

:D

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Duncan, Stouffer, and Bell were horrible picks, but lets not forget PK S Little, whom the Cardinals took with their FIRST RD pick and was an immediate bust. I don't remember when exactly, but it was a few yrs before we drafted PK Lee.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yeah, they put him in as a gunner on punts when the first 6 guys they wanted to use as gunners got hurt one by one. Ditto his fabulous "playing time" on defense.......he got into the game for about 8 plays because the entire rest of the defensive backfield was on crutches.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

The Robey for DJ trade was actually worse. Robey actually bent the rim...with his "jump" shots.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and AJ....I don't remember picking him to have a breakout last year. Yes I have been high on him since the day he was drafted, and hoped he would contribute sooner, but it soon became apparent that he was too young and raw to expect sudden miracles.

I made the statement right after that draft that both he and Adrian Wilson would be pro-bowlers before Fred Smoot.
So far, I'm still not wrong on that call either. ;>)

If Stone doesn't make it this year, then I will readily admit he had more than a fair chance and just couldn't cut it.

Until then, I do indeed stick to my story. :cool:

Ok Tango, I must have mixed you up with someone else!

Stone was a nice guy at the groundbreaking. And, he certainly looked to be in top shape. I hope every Cardinals player does well, just some are more likely than others. I agree with Ed, when a high draft pick can't crack special teams their first year, that's trouble. Add the fact that they moved his position last year, that's even more of a bad sign.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Duncan was the worst but Steve Little, from Arkansas - what a sad story. Got cut after a one day "kick off" won by Neil O'Donoghue midway through what I think was his second season. That night he went out and got drunk and flipped his car leaving himself a quadrapeligic. I think he died a few years later.

O'Donoghue - remember when he missed a couple of chip shots in the ugliest MNF game ever - the 21-21 tie with the Giants?

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by jmt
Duncan was the worst but Steve Little, from Arkansas - what a sad story. Got cut after a one day "kick off" won by Neil O'Donoghue midway through what I think was his second season. That night he went out and got drunk and flipped his car leaving himself a quadrapeligic. I think he died a few years later.

O'Donoghue - remember when he missed a couple of chip shots in the ugliest MNF game ever - the 21-21 tie with the Giants?

And the 40 yarder he missed in 1984 to keep us out of the playoffs. God did he suck.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
This One

Originally posted by Holian
Anthony Bell was another wing dinger. Looked like Tarzan but played like a wimp. I remember the first game of 1987 (Bell's second season) when the Cards played the Cowboys and Bell who obviously had some physical skills but was totally lacking in instincts had a clear path to a Dallas reciever running down the sidelines, instead of nailing the guy he lunged and totally missed the receiver. Almost cost the Cards the game.

Bell was one of those typical Indy Combine freaks who probably could lift a truck and could run like a deer in shorts, but was basically useless on the field. Someone earlier mentioned the Cards wanting to cut Clyde Duncan his rookie season, I also heard that there was serious discussion about doing that with Bell. Bell's rookie year was such a waste that they didn't even play him on special teams.

This one took the cake so to speak.

I was so pumped up when we drafted this guy.

What a physical specimen he was.....I'm not sure if they had the Indy combine back then....but if they did he would have been at the top of the heap of athletes.

I never saw him make a tackle all year!!!

He had no natural football instincts!!!

Hands down the worst pick ever.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok, let's go back to the '97 draft.

The Cards are on the clock in the third round and ESPN cuts away to a commercial. After the commercial break I hear Chris Berman mention Duce Staley and I'm jumping for joy (I am Gamecock after all.) He then states that Duce was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the pick traded to them by the Cardinals.

I almost cried. Our running backs at the time were McElroy and Leshon Johnson.

Never, ever, should a team trade with a divisional rival. :eek:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Redrage
Ok, let's go back to the '97 draft.

The Cards are on the clock in the third round and ESPN cuts away to a commercial. After the commercial break I hear Chris Berman mention Duce Staley and I'm jumping for joy (I am Gamecock after all.) He then states that Duce was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the pick traded to them by the Cardinals.

I almost cried. Our running backs at the time were McElroy and Leshon Johnson.

Never, ever, should a team trade with a divisional rival. :eek:

Hey Whatsup?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard